FM Surapong Challenged To Launch Probe Into Thaksin's Japanese Visa

webfact

"Many of those bitter with defeat at the last election are desperate" is off topic. Asking what my reference to FM Surapong means is obtuse. You didn't mention him, but he is part of the topic. Since you suggested people protest at the Japanese Embassy, I gave reasoning why protesting at Government House would be more to the point. Since I suggested you might do so, I felt the need to warn you as well, FM Surapong is in a suing mood.

It's really amazing the length some people go to either justify 'this is not about Thaksin' or to try to deflect with accusing others of being desperate.

PS did FM Surapong find the time to file the defamation case against the Dem's, or did he drop it in the spirit of reconciliation and democracy ;)

It's off topic (the frustration and bitterness of those who have just been told where to get off by the Thai people)in your view perhaps.Others might feel it is in fact directly pertinent.

Your comments on Surapong continue to mystify - I have no idea what you are gabbling on about with your comments about suing and deportation.

I have no doubt that the obsession (mindless and psychotic in some instances) with Thaksin will continue to preoccupy many opponents of this government.It would be better to adopt constructive criticism (the duty of an opposition) of the administration's economic and social policy - but that might seem too much like hard work for some.

The purpose of a Shadow government is, as always, to keep tabs on the doings of the government and keep them on the legal and proper paths by both public and governmental means. If the FM has, as it appears, made a grave error in his job description that crosses into illegality it is the DUTY of the Shadow government to bring it to light and if necessary impeach the doer, and then insist and assist in trying them before a court of their peers. Nothing desperate or depressing about it. That is their job to do.

Thai FM accuses opposition of slander

BANGKOK, August 22, 2011 (AFP) - Thailand's foreign minister filed a slander complaint with police Monday against top opposition figures, his party said, hitting back in a row over fugitive ex-leader Thaksin Shinawatra.

Surapong Tovichakchaikul and his Puea Thai party's legal team submitted the charge against Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva and three others in response to their own legal move against the minister.

The opposition last week filed a complaint with the police accusing Surapong of illegally helping fugitive former leader Thaksin to obtain a visa from Japanese authorities.

"The Democrat Party team accused him with no evidence," Puea Thai party spokesman Pormpong Nopparit said. "This is not revenge. He is exercising his rights."

The Democrats are stepping up legal moves against the government of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, Thaksin's younger sister, who took power a fortnight ago after a crushing win over Abhisit.

Thaksin, who served as Thai prime minister between 2001 and 2006 before being deposed in a coup, has been living in self-imposed exile in Dubai to avoid a two-year jail term for corruption.

A visit this week by Thaksin to Japan, where he is due to address international media and visit areas devastated by the March 11 earthquake and tsunami, has been criticised by the Thai opposition.

Thailand has been plagued by frequent political unrest since the 2006 coup, culminating in protests by Thaksin's "Red Shirt" supporters last year which prompted a military crackdown that left more than 90 people dead.

Ruling party lawyers will submit a complaint to the Election Commission on Tuesday seeking a ban on the Democrat Party over the alleged slander, Pormpong said.

The Democrats have already filed a similar petition against Puea Thai on the grounds that banned politicians were involved in its election campaign.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-08-22

I don't think Thaksin has been that astute in all this, but it's hardly the biggest challenge facing Thailand.Many of those bitter with defeat at the last election are desperate to latch on to some legality to unseat the government given the failure to persuade the Thai people at the last election of their way of thinking. If it's not Thaksin's visa it will be something else.Any excuse will do rather than accept the popular verdict.As to the location of protest suggest address Dr Tui and his deranged acolytes who were picketing the Japanese Embassy.

No idea what your reference to Surapong means.I haven't even mentioned him.

"The people have voted. Just ignore that the laws are being broken."

The purpose of a Shadow government is, as always, to keep tabs on the doings of the government and keep them on the legal and proper paths by both public and governmental means. If the FM has, as it appears, made a grave error in his job description that crosses into illegality it is the DUTY of the Shadow government to bring it to light and if necessary impeach the doer, and then insist and assist in trying them before a court of their peers. Nothing desperate or depressing about it. That is their job to do.

and I don't recollect PT doing that duty very well, really.... haven't shown much evidence thus far they will be effective in the hot seat either, with a PM not able to answer questions, only deflect, and an FM already creating legal faux pas. Great start..... my opinion, some probably don't agree, but so be it.

Edited by patjem

I don't think Thaksin has been that astute in all this, but it's hardly the biggest challenge facing Thailand.Many of those bitter with defeat at the last election are desperate to latch on to some legality to unseat the government given the failure to persuade the Thai people at the last election of their way of thinking. If it's not Thaksin's visa it will be something else.Any excuse will do rather than accept the popular verdict.As to the location of protest suggest address Dr Tui and his deranged acolytes who were picketing the Japanese Embassy.

Many people seem to believe that a popular mandate is a license to operate above the law.

Edited by hyperdimension

Any chance that we can see this clown doing his job?

Not likely since he is self-admittedly incompetent to hold his post. Also, as he is becomming more trouble than he is worth, he will likely be replaced soon by another syncophant. And here I thought Kasit was the worst possible choice for a FM.

Many people seem to believe that a popular mandate is a license to operate above the law.

Not so many, really. Just a few noisy and belligerent Thaksin apologists with their often-repeated drone of excuses.

And some would see the manipulation and "direction" of the law as a way to frustrate a popular mandate.And of course this is just not idle talk because in the last few years we have seen many practical examples of this.

As to Thaksin's Japanese visa.. and other interventions, many of us would wish he would stay out of Thai politics....yet another example of a high level Thai's failure to understand enlightened self interest.The last administration particularly FM Kasit wasted a great desal of political capital in its obsession with Thaksin.It's not a question of being oblivious of the law:it's a question of perspective.

On this forum it's almost impossible to make this point without some genius accusing one of being a pro Thaksin apologist.

So, because the Democrats make an accusation based on the statement of a Japanese minister, the PTP not only want to charge them with defamation, but also want to have the party disbanded.

That's certainly a good way to silence opposition.

They like to fight fire with petrol!!!!B)

And some would see the manipulation and "direction" of the law as a way to frustrate a popular mandate.And of course this is just not idle talk because in the last few years we have seen many practical examples of this.

As to Thaksin's Japanese visa.. and other interventions, many of us would wish he would stay out of Thai politics....yet another example of a high level Thai's failure to understand enlightened self interest.The last administration particularly FM Kasit wasted a great desal of political capital in its obsession with Thaksin.It's not a question of being oblivious of the law:it's a question of perspective.

On this forum it's almost impossible to make this point without some genius accusing one of being a pro Thaksin apologist.

Pointing out a high-level Thai failure to understand self interest makes one pro-Thaksin? My misunderstanding, I thought to understand self interest was a driving force for lots of people , be they pro/anti whoever.

Mind you, relating to the OP, FM Surapong seems to know his interests and recognises his paymaster. I'm afraid it's not the Thai population, nor the electorate <_<

Edited by rubl