Thai Flights

pop3

I remember the days when booking your flight in Thailand was much cheaper than booking it in the UK. I used to get a one way ticket out here so I could buy the cheaper flight back.

Then I went the next stage and booked my return ticket from here saving hundreds of pounds, maybe some of you remember doing the same ?

So whats happened ? I need to book a return flight for 3 people to London Gatwick. I know people will say go to Heathrow its much cheaper but in my case it has to be Gatwick. from Bangkok the only flight going to Gatwick is Emirates. the return price quoted is 47,000 baht for one person, 3,000 pounds Sterling for the 3 people.

The point I'm making is 47,000 baht or 1,000 pounds is the same price I'm being quoted in the UK ? whats happened to Thailand being cheaper ?

As I said I am not interested in going to Heathrow but I have checked the cost of flights there and again the Thai price is the same price as booking the flight in the UK ? Has the airlines changed their policy on tax making the cost of all flights no matter where booked the same price ?

It is actually more expensive nowadays to book in Thailand than in the U.K in my experience.

A travel agent friend in U.K told me some time ago that the price of the flight is linked to the economy of the country you book in.

No longer so I'm afraid :realangry:

I'm presuming that isn't business class, as Emirates is generally more expensive than a grand. My flights are always Emirates from Manchester (a little more expensive than London, but not by much), and are mostly under £500 return, and have been for the past 5 years, Etihad, Qatar and the like have been sub £500 for a while, too.

Yes ... I've found the same with Thai Airways .... used to be cheaper booked in Thailand, but with internet bookng I guess is similar everywhere now?

I reckon Eva Air is a better deal now, and if you don't mind going via The Gulf (and it looks like you need to from Gatwick?) then there's some better deals from Qatar.

Unless you have a specific connection at gatwick you would be better off going to Heathrow.

Having said that Emirates are not the only carrier to Gatwick either ??

I have a specific connection at Gatwick. As far as I have been told at every travel agent and also looking myself Qatar no longer fly to Gatwick. Emirates is the only airline that provides a service from Bangkok to Gatwick, all others fly to Heathrow. :)

My flights are always Emirates from Manchester (a little more expensive than London, but not by much), and are mostly under £500 return, and have been for the past 5 years, Etihad, Qatar and the like have been sub £500 for a while, too.

What time of year/duration is that then? I paid GBP600 for a 365-day return in November with Qatar, (still much cheaper than buying here), and Emirates wanted GBP50 more than that.

Unless you have a specific connection at gatwick you would be better off going to Heathrow.

Having said that Emirates are not the only carrier to Gatwick either ??

I have a specific connection at Gatwick. As far as I have been told at every travel agent and also looking myself Qatar no longer fly to Gatwick. Emirates is the only airline that provides a service from Bangkok to Gatwick, all others fly to Heathrow. :)

What KLM, Air China, Air France, etc have no service to Gatwick at all ?? Haven't checked myself so will take your word for it.

But surely even a taxi (let alone £10 on National Express) would only cost £80 for a 40 minute transfer to Gatwick and when compared to 3 tickets at £1k each !!

KLM, THAI and others sell tickets to LGW via AMS/Easyjet for the last leg.

China Airlines and EVA do something similar.

SAS and others seem to do the same thing via Scandinavia.

All seem to be far more expensive than buying in the UK.

Personally I would go to Heathrow and take the inter-airport bus.

KLM, THAI and others sell tickets to LGW via AMS/Easyjet for the last leg.

China Airlines and EVA do something similar.

SAS and others seem to do the same thing via Scandinavia.

All seem to be far more expensive than buying in the UK.

Personally I would go to Heathrow and take the inter-airport bus.

Yes assumed many would do via British Midland, Ryanair and Easyjet out of Amsterdam.

Edited by Chivas

I changed back to buying tickets from UK instead of from Thailand last year and am saving at least 100 GBP per return trip on exact same flights, but I still have to avoid traveling on school holidays and have to keep duration in Thailand under six months and check the websites daily to grab the best deal.

Just a thought, but flights to countries with lower tourist market are more expensive. With the way Thailand's pricing itself, on a par with at least the UK, (and I'm talking 'tourists', not those who live here full time, pay next to no tax and know their way around), despite TAT's artificially inflated stats, there are much cheaper options than this 3rd world country with it's first world prices.

Edited by evanson

Glad to see its not only me that has given up buying tickets here in the Thailand. The prices are crazy high, yes everynow and then they have a cheap deal but most of the time I can get the same price in the UK.

Cheers

Greig

The fact that it has been cheaper to buy tickets TO Bangkok than FROM Bangkok has been a common enough topic on the Travel threads.

It does look like Emirates are the only mid-east carrier that does the BKK-LGW route but as pointed out, try EVA and KLM, both via Amsterdam. Use amedeus.net timetable option to find the carriers that serve your ULTIMATE destination and you may get to avoid Gatwick as well.

I use my THAI ROP and BA miles to 'buy' a one-way ticket TO Aberdeen but bought my tickets online from KLM to come back... and avoid bloody London airports! I even managed to find a Business Class r/t bargain on SAS via CPH last year which was also a pleasant alternative to Heathrow.

My flights are always Emirates from Manchester (a little more expensive than London, but not by much), and are mostly under £500 return, and have been for the past 5 years, Etihad, Qatar and the like have been sub £500 for a while, too.

What time of year/duration is that then? I paid GBP600 for a 365-day return in November with Qatar, (still much cheaper than buying here), and Emirates wanted GBP50 more than that.

You can only book about 10 months ahead with EMIRATES

yes it used to be much cheaper to book in Thailand + you could easily change dates. Now its cheaper to bok a retrun from the UK which is what I do currently.

You can only book about 10 months ahead with EMIRATES

The 365 day option was certainly available from Emirates when I bought my ticket, but Qatar were GBP50 cheaper. Also more baggage allowance.

What I didn't see were any 365 day tickets for less than about GBP 560 (Air India).