Bella Pizza

KRS1

When i was in Bangkok i use to go to Bella Pizzeria on a regular basis, the one located in Seacon Square as well as the one off of sukhumvit.

The other day i was riding down Huay Kaew Road and noticed a 'Bella Pizzeria' on the way to Doi Suthep on the right side, same style sign and everything.

In Bangkok, it was my absolutely favorite pizza place, the crust is awesome Neapolitan style with an excellent texture and IMO is really the best in Bangkok. So i was wondering if anyone has been to the Chiang Mai location and if it is still the same as the Bangkok locations.If it is im never going back to Bangkok !!!

The location in the Bangkok Seacon Square location is no longer there since the remodeling of that shopping mall, so im assuming they have just recently moved to CNX.

If your going to Doi Suthep on Huay Kaew road and cross the big intersection over canal road it will be on your right side, i think around the entrance to CMU. Its in a corner shophouse, but can be hard to see do to parked vehicles blocking the view.

The location in the Bangkok Seacon Square location is no longer there since the remodeling of that shopping mall, so im assuming they have just recently moved to CNX.

If your going to Doi Suthep on Huay Kaew road and cross the big intersection over canal road it will be on your right side, i think around the entrance to CMU. Its in a corner shophouse, but can be hard to see do to parked vehicles blocking the view.

Never been there but ALWAYS looking for good pizza which in CM is not easy to find. Unless I read something negative (very) here, I'll give it a shot.

Edited by New2LOS

I deleted my other post because the location was so vague, but now with your directions I am reasonably certain that is the exact location of what was a very good Thai-owned Italian restaurant that was there for many years. I can't recall the name now. One day I went by there and the sign was gone and the place closed. Maybe they changed hands or re-named the place?

Maybe the guy from Bangkok decided to relocate to CNX .

Well I was going to start my diet, but it looks like im going to have to give this place a shot first. Will report back.

My usual place is Paradise Pizza for NYC style, but if Bella CNX is the same as Bella BKK, its going to be a tough decision from now on !

Going tomorrow

Never been there but ALWAYS looking for good pizza which in CM is not easy to find. Unless I read something negative (very) here, I'll give it a shot.

here's a negative , looks like thin crust pizza no thanks .

Its not thin crust pizza.....not at all.... Nor is it thick crust like at pizza company.

Its Neapolitan, if you haven't tried it its hard to describe, about the same thickness as NYC piizza, but a different texture.

Edited by KRS1

Wrong, its not thin crust pizza. Nor is it thick crust like at pizza company.

Its Neapolitan, if you haven't tried it, you should.

Is Neapolitan a 'medium' crust (in between thick and thin)?

Edited by venturalaw

ok youve convinced me ill give it a try , always up for real good pizza

Maybe tell them to hold the sweet Thai mayonnaise sauce on your pizza. I looked at the photos and it appears that they put that junk on some of their pizzas. Hopefully some day there will be a real Italian restaurant in C.M. that makes a great pizza like the ones you get in Italy or at Italian restaurants in other European countries. Still looking...

So will I tonight.

Maybe tell them to hold the sweet Thai mayonnaise sauce on your pizza. I looked at the photos and it appears that they put that junk on some of their pizzas. Hopefully some day there will be a real Italian restaurant in C.M. that makes a great pizza like the ones you get in Italy or at Italian restaurants in other European countries. Still looking...

There's two types of pizzas there. The traditional kind that uses tomato sauce, and a type of calzone style pizza that uses bernaise sauce not the mayonnaise that you are assuming.

You should atleast go there first before making untrue unfounded assumptions to avoid misleading people.

I've just returned and the taste is still the same as the old Bangkok location. No mayonnaise in sight, and in the past has never given me reflux like pizza company does.

The tomato sauce was flavorful, cheese good and bold, crust tender chewy and very slightly crisp and came out in less than10 minutes. I recommend getting the salami instead of the pepperoni though. 240 baht for a 12" pizza, they also have pizza with smoked salmon the 'Gustaf '... as well as about 20 combinations or more. A selection of pasta dishes including lasagna which was good at the bangkok location, but was never really a fan of their spaghetti. Also have tiramisu. and various steak dishes with mashed potatoes.

My own personal opinion is this is the best pizza ive had in CNX so far, paradise pizza is good, but never fresh , Bella is more like a fresh gourmet pizza, each pizza is made fresh and not kept out. The crust is a bit thinner than Paradise pizza and much more tender.

The seating is also good, very airy and without sounds echoing everywhere, There's two tables outside also in case you feel like having a smoke.

The pizzas are Swedish style (hence the sauce bearnaise... it works, if you are not worried about the cholesterol). They also seem to offer other dishes typically found in Swedish restaurants, such as Plank Steak (originally a Hungarian dish but they appear to be serving the typical Swedish version). The menu overall has many similarities to that of Pauline and Mr. Chan's, Swedish restaurant/pizzeria food. I will definitely give them a try.

My own personal opinion is this is the best pizza ive had in CNX so far, paradise pizza is good, but never fresh

Have you had the Duke's pizza? IMHO his has been the best in town for several years.

That;s possibly true, but it's one of those left handed compliments like "she's the best ballerina in Texas". Paradise Pizza, on the other hand, doesn't resonate with me at all. And Sweedish-style pizza? We'll, I'm sure that they have great pizza in Stockholm but that's not descriptive to me at all.

Edited by OriginalPoster

I guess you'll just have to give either Pauline & Mr Chan's or Bella Pizza a try if you want to know what Swedish pizza tastes like (although I can't vouch for Bella Pizza as I haven't tried them yet). The pizzas with more basic toppings won't be all that different from what you'd get at an Italian place (generally thicker crust and more topping though), but the 'Silvia' at Pauline & Mr Chan's is a good example.

Just to be clear, the pizza at Bella is Italian and use tomato sauce.

It's more a combination of Italian and complimented by a partial Swedish menu, including Swedish style calzone style pizzas which use bernaise sauce.

The ones that look like normal pizzas are Italian, the ones that look chubby, fat and squished together are the Swedish ones.

Edited by KRS1

That;s possibly true, but it's one of those left handed compliments like "she's the best ballerina in Texas". Paradise Pizza, on the other hand, doesn't resonate with me at all. And Sweedish-style pizza? We'll, I'm sure that they have great pizza in Stockholm but that's not descriptive to me at all.

Paradise Pizza is good....but... Bella is great ;)

My own personal opinion is this is the best pizza ive had in CNX so far, paradise pizza is good, but never fresh

Have you had the Duke's pizza? IMHO his has been the best in town for several years.

Yes, the tomato sauce and crust doesn't hit the spot for me.

The pizzas are Swedish style (hence the sauce bearnaise... it works, if you are not worried about the cholesterol). They also seem to offer other dishes typically found in Swedish restaurants, such as Plank Steak (originally a Hungarian dish but they appear to be serving the typical Swedish version). The menu overall has many similarities to that of Pauline and Mr. Chan's, Swedish restaurant/pizzeria food. I will definitely give them a try.

The majority of them (over 20 different types) are Italian. (use tomato sauce)

Only a few are Swedish. (use bernaise sauce)

The ones that look like normal pizzas are Italian, the ones that look chubby, fat and squished together are the Swedish ones.
  The chubby fat and squished together ones are indeed Swedish. They are referred to as 'båtformade' (boat shaped) in Swedish (there is usually tomato sauce on them, too, not only sauce bearnaise; whether that is the case with Bella's or not, I do not know).   Based on the picture slideshow on Facebook, a few of the round ones also have typically Swedish ingredients and Swedish names (Carl Gustaf and Silvia, for example, named after the Swedish King and Queen, respectively) so I would hesitate to call them Italian. But you are right about the rest.

Its right across from the entrance to CMU, parked cars on the road will block your view, its the corner shop house once you turn in.

white sign , green circle, red letters.

Its right across from the entrance to CMU, parked cars on the road will block your view, its the corner shop house once you turn in.

white sign , green circle, red letters.

It sounds very close to where Babylon was. Is that right? Shophouse with parking not on street but between building and sidewalk?

I tried the pepperoni pizza. The cost was a reasonable 240THB. The cheese and tomato sauce topping with the pepperoni was extremely tasty. A little bit spicy (not much at all) and quite filling. The crust was pretty tasteless. I'm not really a big crust fan - if it's good that's fine, but if not, for me it's really all about the toppings. In short I enjoyed it and will be back to try other items on the extensive menu.

Edited by venturalaw