Live Now: The Legal Rights Of Foreigners In Thailand And The Thai Judicial System - Live Streaming Videocast

george

These people have made the effort and are prepared to sit there for hours speaking their non-native language for our benefit, and some choose to criticise them!!

speaking in thier non-native language telling us that it is a criminal offence in Thailand to kill, steal or assault someone for our benifit?????? Glory me if you didn't know that was wrong in the 1st place then someone has got benifit from it. The whole exercise was a complete slap in the face to non Thais. Hands up all the expats and tourists that didn't know it was against the law to steal, murder or assault someone.... Hands up all those that didn't know that you could get someone called a lawyer to try and help you if you did what you didn't know was an offence. Nothing more than a token exercise and a complete waiste of everyones time. Try running a forum explaining the laws exactly on 30 yr leases, building or buying a home/apartment. What are my rights regarding my son/daughter if I split with a thai partner? What are my visa obligations and rights? So many questions that farangs would have prefered answered rather than if you steal or kill it is a bad thing.

Is it working? I'm getting an error when I press the play button:

Server not found: rtmpt://209.190.1.124:80/oflaDemo

Edit: Got it working on a different internet connection.

I'm trying to think if a website built and/or maintained by Thais has ever worked properly but none come to mind LOL

These people have made the effort and are prepared to sit there for hours speaking their non-native language for our benefit, and some choose to criticise them!!

speaking in thier non-native language telling us that it is a criminal offence in Thailand to kill, steal or assault someone for our benifit?????? Glory me if you didn't know that was wrong in the 1st place then someone has got benifit from it. The whole exercise was a complete slap in the face to non Thais. Hands up all the expats and tourists that didn't know it was against the law to steal, murder or assault someone.... Hands up all those that didn't know that you could get someone called a lawyer to try and help you if you did what you didn't know was an offence. Nothing more than a token exercise and a complete waiste of everyones time. Try running a forum explaining the laws exactly on 30 yr leases, building or buying a home/apartment. What are my rights regarding my son/daughter if I split with a thai partner? What are my visa obligations and rights? So many questions that farangs would have prefered answered rather than if you steal or kill it is a bad thing.

its incredible how people like you have so low IQ that they don't even understand the presentation..... its not about telling you that its a crime to kill someone its about explaining to you what points make it valable for you to get prosecuted / proven guilty or not of such crime.... and its quite interesting .... be it as a point of view of the acused or the victim...

tired of people criticizing a great effort made by the Thai judiciary system to reach out to foreigners and explain them their rights and obligation ....

i say a big bravo to thaivisa, pappa and the chonburi court for this

Yes, despite being an blatant plug for the Pappa law firm, it has been useful and informative.

Maybe one day someone will try and stitch you up, and maybe you won't be so fearful of the legal processes or afraid of the Police, or so willing to payout large sums of money to brush something under the carpet because you fear the unknown.

@Wavefloater.. a popular Thai ran website that comes to mind, is sanook.com.

sanook is chinese owned

Yes, it is Thai owned and operated.

% [whois.apnic.net node-2]

% Whois data copyright terms http://www.apnic.net...bcopyright.html

inetnum: 203.107.128.0 - 203.107.255.255

netname: COMNET-TH

descr: KSC Commercial Internet Co. Ltd.

descr: 2/4 Samaggi Insurance Tower 10th Fl.,

descr: Viphavadee-Rangsit RD

descr: Thungsonghong, Laksi

descr: Bangkok 10210

[--- snip ---]

----------------

Server IP 203.107.164.221

Country Thailand

Region Krung Thep

City Bangkok

Internet Service Provider Ksc Commercial Internet Co. Ltd

Server Host Name 203.107.164.221

Edited by rezbin

There is plenty of Thai people speaking a quite good English. Knowing that a lot of foreigners here are not exactly native English, the best then should be to provide them with a good experience, and a chance to learn.

So, once again, I am happy this kind of event starts to exist, and I believe it will be better and better. But I still also believe that they need to train a speaker.

I thought they were going to answer questions in English? They should have got a bar girl to translate!

I am sure Thaivisa will be good enough to post an english translation. I can't understand a word they are saying. If they would speak english more slowly it might help. So does this mean I can buy and own land in Thailand and I don't have to give a Thai bank 800,000 baht for the right to see and be with my family? Great knews. They should of had this long ago to infor people of thier visa rights and rights to be here.

@Wavefloater.. a popular Thai ran website that comes to mind, is sanook.com.

sanook is chinese owned

Yes, it is Thai owned and operated.

% [whois.apnic.net node-2]

% Whois data copyright terms http://www.apnic.net...bcopyright.html

inetnum: 203.107.128.0 - 203.107.255.255

netname: COMNET-TH

descr: KSC Commercial Internet Co. Ltd.

descr: 2/4 Samaggi Insurance Tower 10th Fl.,

descr: Viphavadee-Rangsit RD

descr: Thungsonghong, Laksi

descr: Bangkok 10210

[--- snip ---]

----------------

Server IP 203.107.164.221

Country Thailand

Region Krung Thep

City Bangkok

Internet Service Provider Ksc Commercial Internet Co. Ltd

Server Host Name 203.107.164.221

please read the bizness section of the BP from 2/3 days ago they clearly state that the aussie owner sold sanook to a chinese firm

@SabaiBKK,

I've not seen any news worthy posts or articles regarding this. If you can track down the URL, I am quite interested.

I know a Chinese firm purchased 49% or so of sanook last year if I recall. From what I hear, they are still in Bangkok, with Thai staff running it.

Did anyone stop to think that maybe this is a subtle wakeup call to foreigners to know your rights and clean up their act.. Perhaps Thailand is putting things in order for witch hunts against foreigners. Now they can publicly state they did their best to inform us. A new broom sweeps clean.

But would have been better done in Phuket I feel.

Edited by lovelomsak

its incredible how people like you have so low IQ that they don't even understand the presentation..... its not about telling you that its a crime to kill someone its about explaining to you what points make it valable for you to get prosecuted / proven guilty or not of such crime.... and its quite interesting .... be it as a point of view of the acused or the victim...

tired of people criticizing a great effort made by the Thai judiciary system to reach out to foreigners and explain them their rights and obligation ....

I think everyone on here already knows what is a crime and what is not. I am sure that they know if you take something from someone that is not yours it is stealing. People on thai visa are smarter than that and do not need to be lectured by these people on what constitutes a crime and what does not. Most of us a not 3 yr olds. If you find it interesting and are learning something that everyone else already knows than that is great for you. I guess it is raising your IQ. What about the real issues that concern non thais which they blatantly seem to ignore?

.. and it's over.

All in all, not tooo bad, but I think the beginning ran a little long with the introduction to the Thai Legal System bit.

can't wait for the next seminar on civil law but I hope they would use more technical means for the broadcasting like 3 cameras ( one on screen one on speaker one on public ) a director behind a mixing console would be nice too for the rythm...... what it would cost could be recouped by distributing the DVD's ...... as a producer i'm willing to participate and open to talk with the organisers about the ideas I have.

anyway I quite enjoyed the seminar unlike some vinegar pissers who commented.

thank you

@softgeorge..

The main point of the seminar is not teaching us what is right or what is wrong.. The point is 'what if' we get in a sticky situation, and say... kill somebody, either by accident, or in rage. What are our rights, and how does the Thai legal system work.

All in all, it was quite valuable.

@SabaiBKK,

I totally agree. These seminars are quite good, and the one on civil law will be especially useful. I am very thankful they have dedicated the time to do all this... and not to mention, free for us to participate.

Edited by rezbin

I think everyone on here already knows what is a crime and what is not. I am sure that they know if you take something from someone that is not yours it is stealing. People on thai visa are smarter than that and do not need to be lectured by these people on what constitutes a crime and what does not. Most of us a not 3 yr olds. If you find it interesting and are learning something that everyone else already knows than that is great for you. I guess it is raising your IQ. What about the real issues that concern non thais which they blatantly seem to ignore?

yert another person who didn't understand the purpose of the presentation thinking he is smarter than everyone else ........ they are not telling you what is a crime or not but just trying to explain what is needed to build a case or what could make a case collapse or even what could lessen the sentence . they also explained many other useful things that some people might have ignored otherwise .... once again as stated all over but you were certainly to self absorbed to read , this seminar was only about CRIMINAL LAW

nuff said !

there is just one thing tho that would need clarification , at the beginning they said that Thailand had ratified an international treaty against racial discrimination which means that thai law must abide by it , yet the speaker missed the point with the question about racial discrimination in entertainment venues ( i have seen the plates like no indians, no thais allowed etc at several venues and its obviously against the law)

in the same vein double pricing at natural parks, temples and some hospitals like the BNH are also against the law ...... can some foreigners make a class action against these places?

Hi

The seminar is now over so this thread is closed. The video will be online and we will post links so those who didn't get a chance to watch it live can watch it later.

//CLOSED//