What The hel_l Is A Farang?

ironwolf

That's what we're here for :D Now what else do you need to know?

Welcome to thaivisa :o

cv

OK one more question. I know BKK has almost 10 million people, and I was reading a topic about the street violance (excuss my spelling, long day) How bad is it, is it getting worse?

Just hire a few body-guards from "Nana" and you'll be fine.

Bed violence could be a problem though.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the forum. The answer to your first question, " what is a Farrang" A person not born in Thailand is a Farrang, although most asians are not considered to be a Farrang. Bassically means foriegnor. Has nothing to do with skin color, or weather you come from Europe, or anywhere else in the world.

Barry

Expert!!!??? :o

You're right about the pronounciation, but the origins of the word are disputed, and the most likely theory is that 'farangseht' is derived from 'farang', not the other way around. Research shows that the word 'farang' was used in South East Asia before the French arrived.

baheyeldin.com/linguistics/thai-word-farang-variations-in-other-languages-arabic-origin.html

GWYN WILLIAMS:

"ORIGIN OF THE WORD "FARANG"

A wide-spread belief in Thailand is that the word "farang" (Caucasian)

is derived from the French word "francais". This derivation is implausible

on phonetic and historical grounds. It is in fact a popular misconception.

It is true, however, that these words have the same ultimate source.

The word is attested in various forms in languages in Europe, Africa,

the Middle East, South Asia, and Southeast Asia. It is clear that the

word orginated as "Frank" in Europe and spread eastwards along Muslim

trade routes.

Thai most likely borrowed the word from influential Muslim Persian or

Indian traders in the 17th century or even earlier. The Persian word was

"farangg". The term probably was used to refer to early Portuguese

traders and subsequently to all Europeans (ie., non-Muslims).

It is possible that the Thai word "farangset" ("French") is a blend

of the word "farang" and the French word "francais", ie., "farangset" is

actually derived from "farang", not vice versa. Certainly, the word

"farang" existed prior to, and independently of, "farangset"."

This link confirms that the guava is originally native to South America and was brought to Asia by European traders and adventurers: http://www.rain-tree.com/guava.htm

As for the name of the fruit coinciding with 'farang' used for Caucasian, I guess Neeraram could be right, but there are no confirmed sources - it sounds logical at least.

Also note 'mun farang' - 'potato', whereas just 'mun' means 'sweet potato' (among other things).

cv

Thank you! I have two more questions. Is the AIDS/HIV as bad as I hear, like 50% of the women have AIDS/HIV (or maybe its 50% of the women hookers?) and my second question, what's the best way to greet someone. Shaking hands or bow or what?

It's ALWAYS a good idea to use protection whether you're in Thailand or anywhere else.

Unless you are trying to kill yourself!

I assume that's not part of your travel plans. I think you'll find Thailand is a pretty fun and fascinating place to visit.

But just in case it is, i hear flinging yourself from the upper floors of a Pattaya condo is all the rage at present.

A less messy, but very popular, alternative is the head in a plastic bag routine. Just remember to tie your hands behind your back first so the police don't get suspicious of foul play.

cv

Thank you! I have two more questions. Is the AIDS/HIV as bad as I hear, like 50% of the women have AIDS/HIV (or maybe its 50% of the women hookers?) and my second question, what's the best way to greet someone. Shaking hands or bow or what?

No on the the girls. My friends friends in the army has Hiv and he loved going to Thailand mostly Pattya. So put a raincoat on , they will let you without sometimes. In Bkk i felt a little uneasy , i couldnt wait to get to the beach area's where i felt more at home , alot of crime it seems of late in Pattya on here .

cv

I don't know the answer to your first question, I would suggest checking out the relavant Embassy website (I don't which country your from), eg, the British Embassy in Bangkok has information for tourists ect..

As far as greeting go's there's quite alot of different do's and don't depending upon the situation/person you are greeting. If unsure just a smile will do in most cases.

The standard greeting is "HI Where you come from" 5555555555555555

Welcome to the forum. The answer to your first question, " what is a Farrang" A person not born in Thailand is a Farrang, although most asians are not considered to be a Farrang. Bassically means foriegnor. Has nothing to do with skin color, or weather you come from Europe, or anywhere else in the world.

Barry

Wrong.

White foreigner.

I agree. You are correct Judge :o

Barry

Wrong.

White foreigner.

I agree. You are correct Judge :o

I would say just "white". Like I posted before, I am a thai national, but get called farang in LOS based solely upon my appearance only.

cv

It's ALWAYS a good idea to use protection whether you're in Thailand or anywhere else.

was that the answer to the first question or second?

cv

Go back and read my entire reply. It will answer your question.

cv

Barry

Wrong.

White foreigner.

I agree. You are correct Judge :D

I would say just "white". Like I posted before, I am a thai national, but get called farang in LOS based solely upon my appearance only.

Do they still call you a farang when they know that you are Thai, or only when they mistake you for a foreigner? :o

cv

Actually, you only need protection when you are having sex. Being protected at all times is uncomfortable and probably not too healthy either.... :D

Barry

Wrong.

White foreigner.

I agree. You are correct Judge :D

Do they still call you a farang when they know that you are Thai, or only when they mistake you for a foreigner? :o

well..family members dont, I'm simply a thai national by decent, born and raised in NZL....so it is mostly strangers/passers by that you hear the farang labelling from.

Farang = a Foreigner of European Descent.

Yes. Basically white skinned foreigners

The color of the skin is the determining factor.I am a thai citizen but look completetly farang due to my father being a kiwi and my mom only half thai....but, although I am a thai national, I get called farang in Thailand.

That doesn't make it right. Ignorance of your nationality is not an excuse.

The color of the skin is the determining factor.I am a thai citizen but look completetly farang due to my father being a kiwi and my mom only half thai....but, although I am a thai national, I get called farang in Thailand.

That doesn't make it right. Ignorance of your nationality is not an excuse.

I think the usage of the term farang in a practical everyday sense (by the man on the street), is applied purely superficially."Ignorance" is an intrinsic requirement to defining whether or not someone is a stranger.So it is not an excuse or reason..but rather a matter of fact that establishes the context.

cv

cv

I was answering Amerithais post, not yours

and do you have a sense of humour, as it was a joke!!

cv

cv

I was answering Amerithais post, not yours

and do you have a sense of humour, as it was a joke!!

Read more of my posts and you will find out. :D

cv

muldoon, I see what you are getting at but the hi-so Chinese and some of the Northern Thai in fact have a whiter skin colour than some Caucasians - but they are still not referred to as farang.

I would say it is the facial features (eyes and nose) in combination with the skin colour... also, as secondary determiners, walking style, dress, gestures, speech and manners. Do you agree?