Torrents & Downloading...?

Dag

Can someone tell me the answers to a few questions below ??

Can you move a yet to be completed torrent from one computer to another and resume the downloading successfully ??

If so...how ?

I moved the torrent file to where all the current ones are and I moved the actual file of the subject into the download folder where all the current ones are downloading.

Then I clicked into the torrent site and went through the motions of downloading again, it came up on my utorrent display as downloading with the percentage of the file that had already downloaded from the other computer as the same and the remaining amount etc....but then there is no movement, no actual dl'ing.

Now this could be from a very low number of seeders, in fact only 2 for each of the 3 items I want to continue to DL......so waiting till late evening or early morning to see if this changes first.....but just wondering first if this can actually be done or am I waiting for nothing ??

Secondly....the little green 'torrent files' from utorrent, are these required for seeding after the subject of any type has DL'd or can they be deleted ?

If they have to be kept, can they be moved to another file or will this just come up as lost and the torrent will not seed ??

Does a torrent seed from the torrent file, or from the DL'd main file, avi or rar or whatever ??

Lastly, why does a torrent that has 5000 or 20000 seeds load the same and with only maybe 20 or so active at a time. I have stuff DL'ing with 20,000 seeders and it loads slower than something with a few hundred ??

Secondly....the little green 'torrent files' from utorrent, are these required for seeding after the subject of any type has DL'd or can they be deleted ?

The .torrent files can be deleted once the torrent has been added to the client.

Lastly, why does a torrent that has 5000 or 20000 seeds load the same and with only maybe 20 or so active at a time. I have stuff DL'ing with 20,000 seeders and it loads slower than something with a few hundred ??

There are many variables that affect speed -- the number of peers (seeders vs leechers), network congestion, torrent program settings etc. Having a high number of seeders is a good thing, but it doesn't always give you more speed.

If you move a downloaded file to another place you have to set the new download location.

In uTorrent right click on the file - stop - Advanced - Set Download Location - Force Recheck - Start.

If it is showing as downloading or seeding but there is no activity it could be as "Supernova" said nobody seeding at that time.

Not everybody has their on 24/7 just wait some time and see if they connect again.

:D

Ok, did all that and it seemed to be in the correct place from when I copied it over....as it asked to overwrite the original....it still says downloading with the % already downloaded, but no action.......hopefully its just waiting for one of the 2 seeders to fire up.

Thanks, nice to know how to do it the way you mentioned anyway.

Does that little green file have anything to do with it at this stage ??....the torrent file which is only about 18kb or so ??

What does that green file actually do anyway ?

Edited by Dag

Ok, did all that and it seemed to be in the correct place from when I copied it over....as it asked to overwrite the original....it still says downloading with the % already downloaded, but no action.......hopefully its just waiting for one of the 2 seeders to fire up.

Thanks, nice to know how to do it the way you mentioned anyway.

Does that little green file have anything to do with it at this stage ??....the torrent file which is only about 18kb or so ??

What does that green file actually do anyway ?

Me thinks the little green file you are referring to is the torrent link you downloaded and if this is the case it will just sit in your " /Documents/ Downloads " file. If this is the case it makes no difference if you delete it. It contained the hash key and trackers for your torrent.

What version of utorrent?

Be gratefull you are not living in the Police State of New Zealand...... http://torrentfreak.com/new-zealand-government-rushes-through-controversial-anti-piracy-law-110413/

I tried doing this, on one computer the torrent was on around 45% on the other is was about 30%, I copied the torrent contents from computer A to computer B, overwrote when asked and then did a force recheck. It added the extra data and completed the download but all I had were a few songs completed and lots of .part files, even though uTorrent said it was 100% done.

yeah, I think cannot as I am now on my laptop at an internet cafe with excellent connection. This is where the original torrents were before copying to my desktop at home to continue loading.

At home over past 24 hours......nuttin, not a movement.

Yet here, they are DL'ing slowly, but DL'ing.......I presume you cannot move part files and pickup where you left off.

never mind, thanks anyways.

I tried doing this, on one computer the torrent was on around 45% on the other is was about 30%, I copied the torrent contents from computer A to computer B, overwrote when asked and then did a force recheck. It added the extra data and completed the download but all I had were a few songs completed and lots of .part files, even though uTorrent said it was 100% done.

Recheck the torrent and it should start downloading again

Recheck the torrent and it should start downloading again

Did that....twice and not work.

then delete the torrent and find the green Utorrent for that specific torrent and start again.

Of course....but the whole idea for me on a very slow connection re a file that has only 1 or 2 seeders was not to waste the already 50 odd % that had already downloaded.

If i had a normal strong connection...then that would be obvious to most.....but I appreciate you thinking about the minority.

by moving the files you might have corrupted the torrent, the suggestion to start again would rectify this, although seems it is not a well seeded torrent.

Suggest looking for a torrent with a lot of seeders, also check the settings in Utorrent to make sure you are using Unlimited Upload and Download speeds.

I moved the location of my files without serious problems, I just force started them and everything was okay, maybe I was lucky.

Also are you using "port forwarding"?

No idea what the appdata/utorrent file is....if it is the green utorrent file that comes with it all when you start a download, then I moved that also as stated in the OP.

I also did the forced start...no luck.

I have not found a torrent with more seeders.....these are old programs a few years old and passed their popularity date I guess.

Port forwarding....no idea, gave up on trying to understand that years ago.

Unlimited up and down does not matter here as I am using an aircard.....limited connection....but all the other files load ok...albeit slowly.....others with just 5 seeders hook up and DL.....these should also and as mentioned, they did this morning on the other original computer.

Do both, let the one 50% done run and start a new one they can both run at once and if there is a problem with one the other should continue. You can download many different things at the same time depending on your computer.I usually download five or six movies at a time.. Have done up tp 8 with no problem.

No idea what the appdata/utorrent file is....

Its the folder with all your uTorrent settings. You need to make a duplicate copy of this folder and its contents. Then place it in the same location on the target machine. I'm sorry if it seems complicated, but there's no other way around it. If want resume functionality across different machines, you've got to do this.

Type %appdata% in the Windows Explorer location bar and press Enter.

post-81119-0-48905700-1314334576_thumb.p

yeah, I think cannot as I am now on my laptop at an internet cafe with excellent connection. This is where the original torrents were before copying to my desktop at home to continue loading.

At home over past 24 hours......nuttin, not a movement.

Yet here, they are DL'ing slowly, but DL'ing.......I presume you cannot move part files and pickup where you left off.

never mind, thanks anyways.

Yes you can.

I've moved torrents from 1 computer to another and continued downloading, and then back to the original computer when it came back from repair.

I didn't even have to do what Daffy D described as I set up the folders on the spare computer with the same names as the torrents came from on the original computer.

Edit: just saw that Supernova describes how to do it.

Edited by PattayaParent

Its the folder with all your uTorrent settings. You need to make a duplicate copy of this folder and its contents. Then place it in the same location on the target machine. I'm sorry if it seems complicated, but there's no other way around it. If want resume functionality across different machines, you've got to do this.

ok, I shall give this a go later and be back if I cannot find it.....

Do both, let the one 50% done run and start a new one they can both run at once and if there is a problem with one the other should continue. You can download many different things at the same time depending on your computer.I usually download five or six movies at a time.. Have done up tp 8 with no problem.

I know, but it has taken weeks to get the 50%, so starting again will be a drag.

I just finished downloading an old old movie, took about a month.

There was just one seeder going at about 3-4Kb, he would dissapear every so often and there would be no action but he always came back so I stuck with it. :D

Got another old movie that shows just one seeder been waiting a couple of weeks for that just to start, might give up on that one.

Point is just because there is no action doesn't necessarily mean that it's dead.

I didn't even have to do what Daffy D described as I set up the folders on the spare computer with the same names as the torrents came from on the original computer. Yes this works. I've done this when installing a new HHD as long as the details are the same it works.

What "Supernova" says about moving the folder. If you have XP in folder options you have to "show hidden files and folder" then "Your Name" - Application Data" and scroll down to the Torrent folder. Copy this and paste in the same location in the new computer.

:)

Ok......found that file in the original laptop....then found the equivelant in the new computer....but they are named different.

The original is in D&S's / user / App data / utorrent.

Whereas the new computer is in D & S's / (myname) / app data / utorrents.

So what happens here....do I make a new 'User' file in the D&S section and put the copy in there ?

Or copy it into the one with 'myname' on it....or replace it...if I replace I will lose all the torrent files currently downloading onto new computer won't I ??

So what happens here....do I make a new 'User' file in the D&S section and put the copy in there ?

Or copy it into the one with 'myname' on it....or replace it...if I replace I will lose all the torrent files currently downloading onto new computer won't I ??

You don't need to create a new user. Just copy the uTorrent folder to the current profile (the one with your name), overwriting the existing one. Don't forget to exit uTorrent beforehand.

Note: If you already have torrents running on the new machine, make sure you complete them first before copying.

You don't need to create a new user. Just copy the uTorrent folder to the current profile (the one with your name), overwriting the existing one. Don't forget to exit uTorrent beforehand.

Note: If you already have torrents running on the new machine, make sure you complete them first before copying.

Ok....what you say in red is what I mentioned above....just copying it would lose all the ones currently DL'ing on new computer.

I shall have to be patient and wait a little bit....which could be a long bit cos the longest one at the moment says 11 weeks to load ..lol.

Good news....2 of the 3 torrents has started moving in the right direction....this was without copying the whole data file with the different name, just copying the single torrent file and copying into the new file with different name....then then going back to the torrent website and going through the download process again, it seemed to load through to the % that had already donwloaded very quick, then stop.....it was that stop and delay and then difference how active it was on my laptop that worried me it would not work.

Still, when it comes to playing it I hope it is all there and watchable after all of this.

Thanks for the help.