Bangkok Voted As #1 Tourist Destination

Jai Dee

BANGKOK VOTED AS NUMBER ONE TOURIST DESTINATION IN ASIAN REGION

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) revealed that the provinces of Bangkok and Phuket were the destinations that attracted the most interest from foreign tourists in the entire Asian region.

The New York branch of the TAT disclosed that the results of the Reader's Choice Awards of the Conde Nast Traveler Magazine, one of the most famed travel magazines in the United States, showed that Bangkok was ranked as the city in which foreign tourists wanted to visit the most. Hong Kong and Singapore ranked second and third, respectively. Phuket was ranked as the number one island destination that attracted the most interest from international travelers.

In addition, at least six Thai resorts ranked in the top fifteen rankings for most attractive accommodations in the Asian region, one in Chiang Mai, and five in Phuket. These rankings were obtained after consulting with 28,000 experienced travelers worldwide.

Source: thaisnews.com ประจำวันจันทร์ที่ 31 ตุลาคม 2548

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) revealed that the provinces of Bangkok and Phuket were the destinations that attracted the most interest from foreign tourists in the entire Asian region.

The New York branch of the TAT disclosed that the results of the Reader's Choice Awards of the Conde Nast Traveler Magazine, one of the most famed travel magazines in the United States, showed that Bangkok was ranked as the city in which foreign tourists wanted to visit the most. Hong Kong and Singapore ranked second and third, respectively. Phuket was ranked as the number one island destination that attracted the most interest from international travelers.

In addition, at least six Thai resorts ranked in the top fifteen rankings for most attractive accommodations in the Asian region, one in Chiang Mai, and five in Phuket. These rankings were obtained after consulting with 28,000 experienced travelers worldwide.

Say it aint so...(Conde Nast does) - read on:

Which spas do you like to wallow in? Who are the friendliest people? Where are the hotels that provide you with the best service? And which tour operator is most knowledgeable about all these places? Earlier this year we asked you to answer these questions and many more. From your responses we have produced this, our eighth annual Readers' Travel Awards: your choice of the best that the travel world has to offer. Our Top 100 list pays tribute to the overall winners: the highest scorers, irrespective of category. And this year, top marks go to... New Zealand http://www.cntraveller.com/ReadersAwards/2005/Countries/

"the government said it so it must be true... :o

I happened to travel down to Bangkok last week for the first time in a year and I've got to say there were very few farang around Sukhumwit at least. Eveyone up here is expecting the usual wave of arrivals soon but somehow this year I can't see it happening. Can you?

Cool! I think they are great places too. :o

I am a tourist staying here qiute long time but everytime I took a cab and some of them will ask me "How to go ?", yesterday I took a cab from Sapan Kawai to King Chulalongkorn Status for praying and to my surprise I need to take out my map to tell the cab drive how to go ,

Mostly cabs driver are from other province, to my suprise in one occassion he don't even know how to go Sukmunvit 22, I need to show him the way .

IN other countries like Hong Kong they have the cab radio to check with the station operator and they will tell him how to go, not tourist .

This will end up higher fares which surpose not to be. TAT must highlight this problems.

Edited by Kido

These rankings were obtained after consulting with 28,000 experienced travelers worldwide.

Of course, nothing better than consulting "experienced" travellers. They know their stuff.

Had they asked inexperienced or less profficient travellers, they may have gotten a different answer: Hong Kong had seen in first 6 months this year 11 million tourists, 1 million more than Thailand in entire year.

If the trend continues (now they have Disneland there, and extra attraction), the number of tourists could surapass 20 mil or more.

True, most of the tourist traffic is generated from within Asia but still pity nobody asked much around the growing (if not booming) part of the world.

From an article about arrivals in Hong Kong, interesting thing:

"In March, tourist arrivals from Thailand grew the most by 43.3 percent, followed by Macao at 33 percent, India at 23.1 percent, South Korea at 20.1 percent, the Chinese mainland at 14.2 percent. "

Another link with stats:

http://www.asiatraveltips.com/news05/128-HongKong.shtml

...I've got to say there were very few farang around Sukhumwit at least. Eveyone up here is expecting the usual  wave of arrivals soon but somehow this year I can't see it happening ...

What's your reasoning ?

I think it will be business as usual, :D

My wife who works in tourism has been complaining since Jan/Feb abt the ever deceasing number of Farangs on Sukhumvit. I tend to agree and point out why. And there are so many reasons for it. Just read the other threads I suppose to get the point.

On a side note they have some kind of Dsney/Hollywood on Ice deal coming. Surely, if it was Toxin on ice (which he seems to be) it would be a world class comedy on ice show. :o

C