Latest Date Advance Purchase? Business Class Tickets [Tourist Visa "Option"]

I flew into Thailand years ago on an economy ticket 1 way, and I had a business class return ticket going the other way. I think they were both on Korea Air.

My travel agent at the time taught me a trick. To fulfill the requirement showing a return trip, just buy a business class ticket, as they are often 100% refundable. Ok, maybe a $100 cancellation fee.

Buy a biz class ticket, get to Thailand, and about a month before your "exit flight", call and cancel it. A refund should take place in about 2 weeks or so. If you used a credit card, it would be credited back into same card.

I called the airline a lot to get the real answer, "do I need a return flight or not?", no real answer. So I played it safe and followed his advice.

So when I got to the counter to exit my home country, and got the expected "were sorry sir, but you cannot board this flight", Bam, -I whipped out the business ticket, and off I went. A did as advised and got my money back as expected.

Now that there's word in another forum topic Stricter Tourist Visa Requirements I need to put this option out therefor others and ask my own question to be up to date on this:

• How long in advance will an airline allow advanced purchase of a business class ticket?
  • What online air fare booking might work best?

I ask because if you are going for a single entry Tourist visa on a visa run (Ranong or Vientaine)you should be fine, 60-90 days seems possible, but am not sure exactly.

I am really interested in finding out how long in case someone wants to get a Double Entry,like from Laos. I have at least 6 different friends who are all doing this type of visa already, and even though I have warned them about staying on TR visas for too long, -might as well have some "airline booking" advice handy.

Know any airlines? Korean Air?

We could call them but am sure many of you here already know about this and which airlines or websites to or travel agents (not roadside tour shops but real travel agents who can spell and have more than IQ -4) use for booking.

So asking about longest advance period, and specific Internet links or phone#'s. My guess is a real travel agent in one's home country is far more dependable, and they are willing to compete against online firms.

-saanya

Edited by saanya