Stricter Requirements For Tourist Visa Applicants

FLIGHTS AND HOTEL RESERVATIONS NOW MANDATORY

Stricter requirements for Tourist visa applicants

BANGKOK (thaivisa.com): -- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok has instructed the Thai Embassies and Consulates abroad to be stricter with requirements when applicants are applying for 60-days Tourist visas for Thailand.

The Royal Thai Embassies, Consulates and Consulates-General will from now require a confirmed airline ticket with flight numbers and date of entry/exit, plus confirmed hotel reservations with name and dates of checking in/out.

Required documents are:

- One completed and signed application form

- One photo (colour, size 4 x 6 cm)

- Passport (valid for no less than 6 months)

- Hotel reservation in Thailand with name and dates of checking in/out

- Airline ticket or confirmation slip with flight number and date of entry/exit

Please note that

Consular officers reserve the rights to ask for additional documents as deemed necessary.

In the absence of a required document, a letter indicating the unavailability of such document must be provided.

A new item is added to the list: If a required document is missing, an explanation letter must be provided.

The new requirements have been confirmed by Thaivisa.com and are in effect immediately.

tvn.png

-- 2011-08-26

Source: Ministry Of Foreign Affairs 2011-08-26

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2501.php?&id=2815

Related topic:

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai Embassies and Consulates abroad to be stricter with requirements when applicants are applying for Tourist visas for Thailand.

Does this apply to "Visa Exempt" entry also?

What happens if the tourists are staying with friends?

Thai Embassies and Consulates abroad to be stricter with requirements when applicants are applying for Tourist visas for Thailand.

or indeed leaving over a land border by bus?

This doesn't have anything to do with a regular 30 day tourist visa, does it? I ask because in the past you got the visa when you went through passport control and showed the form you received from the airline to fill out before you landed.

What if you are staying with your TGF in her village (mine owns her own house) and are not staying in a hotel?

CB

Or if you are married to a Thai citizen and will be staying at their/your residence.

Too me this sounds like another way to kill tourism.

Or if you are married to a Thai citizen and will be staying at their/your residence.

If you are married to a Thai Citizen you can get a Non-O visa.

Can't see tourists paying for accomodation in advance to secure their reservation

complete guess but i could believe at least half the tourists who come to thailand don't have a clue where they are staying and when. it's one of the reasons the place is so popular as a tourist destination. as if backpackers are going to have guesthouses pre-booked before arriving.

Lot of open questions within that message... but having checked the homepage of the Embassy here in Switzerland, I do not see any change for tourists from Visa excempt countries.

I would therefore also assume that people who need a Visa and stay with friends, will need an invitation letter as they did before...

But then again... typical Thai way... issue new rules with immediate effect.... but don't be precise... and specially do not let the people know who must deal with it (consulates etc)... otherwise all the fun would be gone from issuing unclear rules :whistling:

How unwise to make it more cumbersome for people to apply for a tourist visa just as a global recession is about to take hold.

If you truly want families and quality tourists here, how about these long term measures:

- Police reform to battle corruption. Like in South Korea. If they could do it, so can you. It's 2011 now, time to get real.

- Clean up the prostitution from the major tourist spots. Most tourists in the family category tend not to be impressed by prostitution in their face, and the prostitution business is a magnet for undesirables, both Thais and foreigners.

- Educate Thai electricians properly so fewer tourists are electrocuted in the shower. Parents tend to be quite upset when their children die because of neglect and incompetence.

- Regulate and ENFORCE the use of pesticides and insecticides so you won't have to wring your hands after tourists "inexplicably" drop dead in hotels and from eating poisonous food. Research, educate and encourage organic growth practices, natural and least dangerous pest control measures. Make sure the knowledge gets all the way to the actual farmers by engaging the village networks.

- Arrest ALL beggars on sight, interrogate them about their conditions and mafia networks, gather enough evidence, appropriate the assets of the leaders of the trafficking rings, give harsh punishments (fines and jail time) to everyone else involved or benefitting, use the money/assets collected in fines to rehabilitate and educate the beggars where possible. Keep up these arrests until it simple becomes too much hassle to beg or to benefit from begging.

- Clean up the scamming in tourist areas. That includes jet ski scams, gem scams, card game scams, and all the others.

From what I understood:

Only land crossings WITHOUT a prior visa will now get you 15 days. If you arrive via the air to an airport you still get your 30 days.

On the plus side, you can now obtain a 90 visa, with no limits. Meaning you can get as many 90 visas you want. You wont have to be out of the country for 6 months before the next visa. I guess they just want you to get a regular visa.

As for the hotel booking, I think that is pretty simple. Put down any guest house you normally stay in, or if you have residency your address, or friends address.

Please correct me if I'm wrong!!!

Wouldn't you be getting a Non O in that case?

not if you want to stay longer than 30 days but not as long as 1 year.

A tourist visa may well be the easiest (until now) and cheapest way to stay 2~3 months.

But it seems a letter from the wife would fulfill the "If a required document is missing, an explanation letter must be provided" requirement just the same as applying for a UK tourist visa.

Could someone .. like George from TV please find out what this is about?

This page is entitled TOURIST VISAS

http://www.mfa.go.th...01.php?&id=2815

• Hotel reservation in Thailand with name and dates of checking in/out - I own a condo in Thailand. It cost me a lot of money. Must i stay in a hotel?
  • Airline ticket or confirmation slip with flight number and date of entry/exit - What if im coming over land borders?

Could george or someone also confirm about entry without visa (visa exempt?)

Edited by george
Post truncated for relevancy

MFA web site

2. DOCUMENTS REQUIRED

- Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months

- Visa application form completely filled out

- Recent( 4 x 6 cm.) photograph of the applicant

- Evidence of travel from Thailand (air ticket paid in full)

- Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family)

- Consular officers reserve the rights to request additional documents as deemed necessary

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2489

How unwise to make it more cumbersome for people to apply for a tourist visa just as a global recession is about to take hold.

If you truly want families and quality tourists here, how about these long term measures:

- Police reform to battle corruption. Like in South Korea. If they could do it, so can you. It's 2011 now, time to get real.

- Clean up the prostitution from the major tourist spots. Most tourists in the family category tend not to be impressed by prostitution in their face, and the prostitution business is a magnet for undesirables, both Thais and foreigners.

- Educate Thai electricians properly so fewer tourists are electrocuted in the shower. Parents tend to be quite upset when their children die because of neglect and incompetence.

- Regulate and ENFORCE the use of pesticides and insecticides so you won't have to wring your hands after tourists "inexplicably" drop dead in hotels and from eating poisonous food. Research, educate and encourage organic growth practices, natural and least dangerous pest control measures. Make sure the knowledge gets all the way to the actual farmers by engaging the village networks.

- Arrest ALL beggars on sight, interrogate them about their conditions and mafia networks, gather enough evidence, appropriate the assets of the leaders of the trafficking rings, give harsh punishments (fines and jail time) to everyone else involved or benefitting, use the money/assets collected in fines to rehabilitate and educate the beggars where possible. Keep up these arrests until it simple becomes too much hassle to beg or to benefit from begging.

- Clean up the scamming in tourist areas. That includes jet ski scams, gem scams, card game scams, and all the others.

^ THIS!

:)

I have an O for now, but if I ever leave and need a tourist visa and I own my own condo should I bring all the paper work? Original or copy?

Do I get extra credit for doing my own electric work? :D

This only applies to people who apply for a tourist visa at the Thai embassy in their home country or any country for that matter.

This does not apply to tourists who arrive and get the normal 30 day stamp.

This is not too hurt tourism, it is just another way to make it harder for all the people working here illegally, without work permit and non-immigrant visa.

I'd can agree with some of your points, but I think changing to much would take all the fun from Thailand.

Can't see tourists paying for accomodation in advance to secure their reservation

complete guess but i could believe at least half the tourists who come to thailand don't have a clue where they are staying and when. it's one of the reasons the place is so popular as a tourist destination. as if backpackers are going to have guesthouses pre-booked before arriving.

on average most tourists spend only 1-2 nights in bkk on arrival and then depart to destination either east - south or north - most of these tourist will be on the move over the following month or longer will changes in distination being made on a daily basis -- many will leave via BIA but some will also exit via CMX OR phuket - so how is anyone going to predict where and when they will be on any particular day or date and i dont know of any gickgock hostals taking reservations - well maybe times have changed -- going up market --also what about the guy who is here for a 90 tourist visa to visa family but does not have married visa - ie staying with gf -- fiance -- plenty of these around - TIT clear to see that not a real lot of thought or logical thinking was given to this latest thai wisdom -- sure it dream up my some lame brain looking for promotion -- interesting to see how long this one lasts -- maybe end of sept maybe >>

Very well said!

But it is probably not the Thai Way.

The corruption is increasing and the 1% that own 90% of Thailand are all involved in one or another way.

:blink::(:D

This only applies to people who apply for a tourist visa at the Thai embassy in their home country or any country for that matter.

This does not apply to tourists who arrive and get the normal 30 day stamp.

This is not too hurt tourism, it is just another way to make it harder for all the people working here illegally, without work permit and non-immigrant visa.

of course it hurts tourism. all those backpackers who apply for tourist visas in their home countries before travelling and who generally cross land borders after a number of weeks in thailand will now think 'fuc_k it' and go to cambodia instead. between this law change and the 15-day land border crossing it would appear that thailand doesn't want the backpacker trade any more, only people who fly in and out and who have booked two weeks at their resort on phuket.

They shoot themselves in the foot at every opportunity that they get.

But you cannot really tell the truth on TV becaue it might offend someone.

This seems to apply to those who apply for a tourist visa before leaving their home country. Best guess is "nothing" changes for those who arrive for 30 day visa exempt visit or get O visa on arrival.

Understood correct!