Which Internet Service Would You Recommend ?

Hi,

I am looking for advice re which internet service to sign up with.

My situation is I am taking a condo on a 1 year contract from 1st September.

The condo complex offers "Buddy" Internet at 699baht/ month for 8gb download speed or 1200 baht/month for 10gb download speed.( I think its cabled through the complex but not with individual phone lines).

They will let me put my own internet provider/line in as its a 1 yr contract.I need a good quality/high speed,reliable!!,provider,please could you advise the best solution.

Many Thanks

Try 3BB for one month, if you don't like just cancel it and get another.

If you have your own wireless adsl modem, you don't need to use theirs (you can buy a nice one for under 2000 baht)

Stay away from True, that would be my personal advice.

I personally use TOT but would like to try out csloxinfo adsl aswell.

They are all equally bad and equally good... I would ask a neighbor what the condo option is like, if they don't say it sucks royally try it...

I had a neighbor who got in a huff with a provider - tried to cancel after a month (which his contra ct stated he could NOT do)... Then he proudly just stopped paying - then he found himself on a blackball list when he treid to reapply a year later when he moved and the new condo had only one option...

They are all equally bad and equally good... I would ask a neighbor what the condo option is like, if they don't say it sucks royally try it...

I had a neighbor who got in a huff with a provider - tried to cancel after a month (which his contra ct stated he could NOT do)... Then he proudly just stopped paying - then he found himself on a blackball list when he treid to reapply a year later when he moved and the new condo had only one option...

Many Thanks,

A "reality check" yet again,thr neighbours say it can be equally good and bad,as you suggest.Think I,ll have to try it as True seems to have the same issues.

Try 3BB for one month, if you don't like just cancel it and get another.

If you have your own wireless adsl modem, you don't need to use theirs (you can buy a nice one for under 2000 baht)

Stay away from True, that would be my personal advice.

I personally use TOT but would like to try out csloxinfo adsl aswell.

TRUE has quite a good customer service, even good English speaking staff at the phone. That is quite rare in Thailand.

Recently my crappy Zyxel router stopped working, I called TRUE at 10pm and next morning at 10am the technician came. He checked my line and told me the Zyxel is crap and I should get a new router. He was right and everything went much smoother after I exchanged it.

TRUE sometimes has some hickups, especially Fridays on their international lines. But from what I hear, this is Thailand and a problem for all ISPs.

I use Buddy BB in Suk Soi 6 in BKK. On the 8mb plan and the other day I was getting 9.5mb to Thailand and Laos, about 1.5mb to US and Singapore. There is a what appears to be a Buddy router in the lobby so I suspect it is not using the normal phone lines all the way back to the exchange for my building as I have very high speeds for ADSL compared to the plan I am on, and I do not believe that there is an exchange that close.

The good thing about Buddy is it is prepaid so no long term contract and you do not have to take out a phone contract as well. I use my mobile for phone calls and the phone line only for internet. I believe most of the other plans need the phone connected as well and do not include VAT in the price, so a plus plus type situation. I do not use their modem/router as I already had my own (3Com). If getting your own modem/router stay clear of Linksys as I burnt up a couple of those as they overheat and need to have a external fan mounted on them.

The support is a bit iffy in English, though have only needed once. They conceded defeat on the English and said someone will ring back, 5 minutes later a very helpful, reasonably good English speaker rang back.

As said previously talk to the neighbours and ask how good it is. Be aware that during peak times anything international is probably going to slow down as there is a bottleneck in the international connections for Thailand.

Cheers

Litlos