Visa Run Crash

Yes 500.000 per person .

According to TAT licence should be 500.000 baht per person ( accident ) maximum 5 million baht per policy in other words 10 people are covered per journey It cost about 70 baht per person maximum 500 people then they have to open a new policy about 32.000 baht per 500 people

Is 500,000 baht cover per person the "requirement" of the TAT? Is that what you are saying? Afterall, peoples insurance cover is very important.

I must be missing something here then. Surely these people must be covered.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you operate any type of business in Thailand that transports any tourist it's against the law not to have it tthey have to have a TAT licence plus TAT insurance

Sorry to sound cynical but - of course no one would dream of breaking the law here? :whistling:

At the end of the day - good luck and get well soon to the real victims.

from what i can make out, she didnt have the full correct insurance that herbert has, which covers full medical in the event of an accident....

hence now they are having a fundrasier to help ryans costs for his hospital bill, which should have been covered by the visa run company, and not him or his friends / family.

IMOA the visa run company should foot the majority of the bill, if not all, and IF and IF they catch the driver that caused the crash, and the truck ( which would be owned by a company ) then the cost would be footed by them.. ot there insurance company ....

just be careful out there folks, the roads here are VERY dangerous

I do hope those the injured fully recover and start livin the dream again

over and out

boater

from what i can make out, she didnt have the full correct insurance that herbert has, which covers full medical in the event of an accident....

hence now they are having a fundrasier to help ryans costs for his hospital bill, which should have been covered by the visa run company, and not him or his friends / family.

IMOA the visa run company should foot the majority of the bill, if not all, and IF and IF they catch the driver that caused the crash, and the truck ( which would be owned by a company ) then the cost would be footed by them.. ot there insurance company ....

just be careful out there folks, the roads here are VERY dangerous

I do hope those the injured fully recover and start livin the dream again

over and out

boater

if Julie did not have the correct inssurence and tried to do things the short cut way to save 70 baht per passenger then it is her fault. hence i would welcome any fund raising for the family.

Just makes me laugh when someone bosts about being a former police woman and then takes a short cut like this.

her company should be liable for all the costs. not being funny but if my family was lying in hospital with a broken back i would have a van parked out side the owners house demanding money for hosipital expense. hence all the bad publicity that i would make. basically if i got lumbered with any medical expense then i would rarther go to court. all that for the saving of 70 baht for a truck which 3 whitness sore the number plate but they cannot trace. even if it is a company car. if the whitness gave a statement then the company inssurence would be liable.

was there any lorry or truck debis scattered on the road ?where there more than 2 sets of tyre marks. being transport police. u would know these things,

thanks for clearing that up Boater. i was sceptial to comment at first but now i got the information i am a little angry.

anyway all the best wishes to all patients. i hope Julie can learn from this if she gets the chance and all her customers get back on their feet again

I don't worry about getting on a bus anywhere in the world as I make sure I have medical insurance wherever I am. Expecting a bus company to provide this is not something I would consider.

Laying aside for a moment the legal requirement to have this with TOT it surely is everyone's own responsibility to cover themselves in case of accident or injury.

People should get insured or go home if they can't afford it.

That said my best wishes to those injured and hope they all make a speedy recovery.

I don't worry about getting on a bus anywhere in the world as I make sure I have medical insurance wherever I am. Expecting a bus company to provide this is not something I would consider.

Laying aside for a moment the legal requirement to have this with TOT it surely is everyone's own responsibility to cover themselves in case of accident or injury.

That said my best wishes to those injured and hope they all make a speedy recovery.

Couldn't agree more.

it surely is everyone's own responsibility to cover themselves in case of accident or injury.

Agree. But sadly it is very easy to assume that when you get in a car or a bus that you have insurance or are covered is some way, since it is very likely that where you came from, it is the law to have that cover, and it is strictly enforced.

A terrible lesson to be learnt that here on Samui, as indeed in many places around the world, things are not like what they are back at home.:(

Couldn't agree more.

Smokie36 is wrong in this instance and i can't understand why you agree? Is has nothing to do with someones personal health insurance. Nothing at all. They are the customers of a company that is supposed to cover them!!!!!!

Are you saying that people don't have the legal right to be properly insured by the visa run company even though the authorities stipulate they should? Get a grip, you sound ridiculous. It has NOTHING to do with with peoples personal insurance and in any case, if someone does have it, why should they have to ruin their no claims bonus because a visa run company does'nt operate properly and insure them correctly.

Is tis visa run company insured properly now? I would presume so as it would beggar belief that they were'nt. I would not use Julie's visa run service without proof of correct insurance but regardless there are many questions that must be answered.

For example, was there a truck involved at all? Now that really can't be a difficult question to answer can it?

Edited by Hackett

Hit and runs are more common than not, and anyone who has been here even a short amount of time learns rather quickly that the "driver fled the scene" is the most common phrase for any major accident. So, lets not start speculating on things on which we have zero information other than our own imaginations. a report has been made, don't turn this into another pointless sherlock holmes of TV thraed.

Couldn't agree more.

Smokie36 is wrong in this instance and i can't understand why you agree? Is has nothing to do with someones personal health insurance. Nothing at all. They are the customers of a company that is supposed to cover them!!!!!!

Are you saying that people don't have the legal right to be properly insured by the visa run company even though the authorities stipulate they should? Get a grip, you sound ridiculous. It has NOTHING to do with with peoples personal insurance and in any case, if someone does have it, why should they have to ruin their no claims bonus because a visa run company does'nt operate properly and insure them correctly.

Is tis visa run company insured properly now? I would presume so as it would beggar belief that they were'nt. I would not use Julie's visa run service without proof of correct insurance but regardless there are many questions that must be answered.

For example, was there a truck involved at all? Now that really can't be a difficult question to answer can it?

i agree the only party thar isresponable is the visa run company. u can"t be telling me that if the visa run company does not inussure you then u should go home.

very un proffesional.

even bangkok airways the rip off airline covers u.

basically if u have a valid ticket for any travel service then inssurnce should be included. what makes me laugfh is that owner is an ex uk police woman from what i know she was transport police. had thar crah happened in the uk and she was the officer on duty then she would be making arrests rigt now.u would think that she wouyldhave known better.

a crash whilst using a bus service is no fault of the customer. even though out here they like to pin the blame on the customers. people can say what they want but next time i do a via run i want to stait on the receipt how much and i am inssurend for and how much i am covered for. it should be standard small print on all tickerts

Couldn't agree more.

Hackett,

To clarify the reason why I agree with Smokie is the following reason;

Although I fully agree that the company that transports you should have adequate insurance coverage, unfortunately a lot of times this is not provided in Thailand for many reasons. So, if you use one of these services, make sure that you have adequate insurance, that when there's an accident, you don't have to rely on the insurance of the transport company.

There's no need to start a discussion if they should have it or not, your're fully right Hackett, they should, harsh reality however shows you that in many third world countries (unfortunately Thailand qualifies for that easily) these insurances aren't always provided for.

Now even though the authority stipulates that transport companies should have insurance coverage, how easy or difficult do you think it is to claim said insurance coverage or claim back the costs that you had for any stay in hospital or medical treatment.

It's not really about what the law says, since due to many reasons (corruption, cost saving, etc) it's more about how you deal with it in real life, just imho. Dealing with it in real life means having taken care of your own insurance rather than relying on third parties.

If you live here and know these things, prevent problems and have adequate insurance for yourself. If you are here just on a holiday, make sure that you have adequate travel insurance. I life here since 12 years and I can't recall how many fund raisers there have been. If people would have had adequate insurance to start with, all these fund raisers would not be necessary. How many fund raisers for similar reasons do you know of in the UK or in Europe?

I think Smokie summed it up already up very accurately, I'm just confirming what he said.........

Edited by limbos

The paper quoted " one of the passengers who wishes to remain annouymous. Said he was in the back listening to his ear phones. He felt the car swerve then hit somethingm he cannot be sure they were hit from behinde"

If they were hit from behinde he woul have felt the back of the car being him then swerve then hit something.

These are the questions that really haven't been answered yet and need to be.

Anyone?

If they were hit from behinde he woul have felt the back of the car being him then swerve then hit something.

not being Gay, but my boyfriend is, you sure know when you are being rammed from behind !

question,

how many people suffered whiplash? , which is a common, or made up injury, when you are jolted from behind? , the dmage will be in the van ( picture please )

[quoteThese are the questions that really haven't been answered yet and need to be.

Anyone?

]

correct, if anyone , apart from the owner of the comapany, can comment?

translate

if they were hit from behinde then the man listening to his ear phones would have felt the bang from the back. then they would skid. then they would hit something.

the mans words were. that he was listening to his ear phones then he felt the car skidd and then bang , they hit something.

Maybe he is used to being rammed from behinde so he did not notice it but assuming he was straight which i am guess he was then maybe there was no ramming from behinde.

also thailand is not quite africa it is a developing country. don't think zimbarbway or Ghana have sky trains under ground systems govement water and whjat ever

Edited by BigC

translate

if they were hit from behinde then the man listening to his ear phones would have felt the bang from the back. then they would skid. then they would hit something.

the mans words were. that he was listening to his ear phones then he felt the car skidd and then bang , they hit something.

Maybe he is used to being rammed from behinde so he did not notice it but assuming he was straight which i am guess he was then maybe there was no ramming from behinde.

also thailand is not quite africa it is a developing country. don't think zimbarbway or Ghana have sky trains under ground systems govement water and whjat ever

a few posters including myself, whom have been speaking and learing the truth will post something shortly.......... i do hope the mods dont delete, as posters with 6,000 Plus posts are not going to post something they dont think is true

from a member with nearly double the posts i have, and i can concur with what i have heard from multiple people incuding the people involed in the crash

OK mate

Let's see. There was no truck hitting it from behind.

The company had pitiful insurance

They have hired another van and are still operating same as before.

If someone else doesn't post this on there soon then I will.

Look after yourself!

enough said :jap:

from a member with nearly double the posts i have, and i can concur with what i have heard from multiple people incuding the people involed in the crash

OK mate

Look after yourself!

Well as you beat me to the cut and paste I'll just have to agree with this 100%. Those are the facts as I've heard them.

Again best wishes to those injured jap.gif

OK mate

Look after yourself!

Well as you beat me to the cut and paste I'll just have to agree with this 100%. Those are the facts as I've heard them.

Again best wishes to those injured jap.gif

Surely if you are told by a company that you are well insured if something happens then you have to sign some kind of paper work? IF all the above is true then surely the word will get around very quickly as there is always a chance this can happen again, i would rather pay the extra to go with someone with better insurance, better then that i would rather rent a car and do it my self over 2 day,as we have to do this at least once and i will not put our life on the line, I do have good travel insurance ourself's but when you pay of a service this should be covered and that the end of the day 1,900baht is close to £40 each so still not cheap.i think in what you can hire a car for.

Hope all get well soon

If you are claiming something as a fact then please provide some proof. The amount of posts you have on a forum doesn't make you a reliable source of accurate information.

Who provided you with this information? Were they there? Have they made a report to the police? Has the visa run company been charged or acknowledged these "facts" to the police?

If you are claiming something as a fact then please provide some proof. The amount of posts you have on a forum doesn't make you a reliable source of accurate information.

Who provided you with this information? Were they there? Have they made a report to the police? Has the visa run company been charged or acknowledged these "facts" to the police?

there are facts from the news paper. there are people with very serious injuries in hospital. this is not just a blow for Julie's business but a blow for all visa run companies.

many years ago there were no regulations but now things are improving slightly.

there are allot of visa run companies on the island and any form of transport containes some risk. That is what inssurence is for.

basically there any many other way to transport where people are covered.

i would hope that if i was to die ina bus or plane or any crash that my family would get something due to companies bad form.

my biggest worry is not me but if i have a broken back or i am dead then who is going to pay for my wife and kids. At least if the company is proper then there is a chance i can recover and get back to work. unless i am dead.

I think that this story is very important and people are not bad mouthing a company for no reason. this is very serious because most of us are all forangs and we all need to do visa runs.

So we should not be deleted for asking deep questions or saying what we beleive to be true bassed on the fact that have been printed in the paper and from people that have had contact with the victims.

there are a few main questions that most people keep asking ?

1st inssurence at time of crash

2nd if not have they at least learnt from their mistake and now operating with inssurence or is it a catch 22 where no one will inssure them or now the inssurence is so high that they cannot make a living.

either way. Unless people ask Julie before they book their next trip with her and get confirmation. then i would have to say that there own ignorance might cause them to be a victim.

there are facts from the news paper. there are people with very serious injuries in hospital. this is not just a blow for Julie's business but a blow for all visa run companies.

many years ago there were no regulations but now things are improving slightly.

there are allot of visa run companies on the island and any form of transport containes some risk. That is what inssurence is for.

basically there any many other way to transport where people are covered.

i would hope that if i was to die ina bus or plane or any crash that my family would get something due to companies bad form.

my biggest worry is not me but if i have a broken back or i am dead then who is going to pay for my wife and kids. At least if the company is proper then there is a chance i can recover and get back to work. unless i am dead.

I think that this story is very important and people are not bad mouthing a company for no reason. this is very serious because most of us are all forangs and we all need to do visa runs.

So we should not be deleted for asking deep questions or saying what we beleive to be true bassed on the fact that have been printed in the paper and from people that have had contact with the victims.

there are a few main questions that most people keep asking ?

1st inssurence at time of crash

2nd if not have they at least learnt from their mistake and now operating with inssurence or is it a catch 22 where no one will inssure them or now the inssurence is so high that they cannot make a living.

either way. Unless people ask Julie before they book their next trip with her and get confirmation. then i would have to say that there own ignorance might cause them to be a victim.

i cannot agree more with BigC i do not care about myself but the fact that my wife will have to live without the main bread maker and to the fact that if there is not enough insurance what happens to her if she is injured, like i have said if all this is true then driving people around without enough insurance are no insurance is bad forum and a gain IF ITS TRUE.

Without a doubt i would want it in writing the insurance number,max cover for me and my wife,but i will i guess make my own way to do a visa run over a sensible time frame.

Couldn't agree more.

Everything that has been said is fine in theory.

Now this is Thailand.

Many foreigners live here because "you do not have to follow the rules". Thais are no different - especially when it comes to saving/making money.

Before you get in a taxi, do you ask the taxi driver if he has insurance? (He would always say yes anyway.)

When you board the boat to go to KPN or Suratthani do you ask to see the insurance papers?

Before you board the Bandit Airways plane - do you ask if they have insurance? I suspect that the answers are "No".

There is an expectation that public services and private organisations do carry insurance. However, we should not be surprised if they do not. Life here is a lottery. (Riding motorbikes, dodgy bars, dangerous seas, speedboats, jet skis, drugs etc etc.) Health and safety rules do not apply and most of us love the freedom.

So - take sensible precautions, and do what you can afford to do to reduce risks. When shiiit happens (and it does) shovel it up and move on. (But feel free to bitch about it on this forum - I do.)

As an aside - how would you get 'proof of correct insurance' from the company? 1 - you would have to be able to read Thai. 2 They could forge the paper anyway.

Everything that has been said is fine in theory.

Now this is Thailand.

Many foreigners live here because "you do not have to follow the rules". Thais are no different - especially when it comes to saving/making money.

Before you get in a taxi, do you ask the taxi driver if he has insurance? (He would always say yes anyway.)

When you board the boat to go to KPN or Suratthani do you ask to see the insurance papers?

Before you board the Bandit Airways plane - do you ask if they have insurance? I suspect that the answers are "No".

There is an expectation that public services and private organisations do carry insurance. However, we should not be surprised if they do not. Life here is a lottery. (Riding motorbikes, dodgy bars, dangerous seas, speedboats, jet skis, drugs etc etc.) Health and safety rules do not apply and most of us love the freedom.

So - take sensible precautions, and do what you can afford to do to reduce risks. When shiiit happens (and it does) shovel it up and move on. (But feel free to bitch about it on this forum - I do.)

As an aside - how would you get 'proof of correct insurance' from the company? 1 - you would have to be able to read Thai. 2 They could forge the paper anyway.

+1

Wishes for speedy recovery of those unfortunate victims.

All these border runs for a stamp is just so silly and unnecessarily dangerous. Either give them the visa or deny them entry.

When will these policy makers grow up?

Let me put this another way.

There is no evidence of a truck hitting the bus. The insurance payouts have been inadequate to cover the hospital bills. Julie's Visa Run is still operating.

These are facts not hearsay and no its not an attempt at trial by Thai Visa. I'm simply stating what is already well known by expats on the island.