Bizzare Foods ( Andrew Zimmerman )

robbo1

Just watched Zimmerman on Foxtel and he was doing a special on Issan Country he spent some time in Udon Thani and surrounding farms I think it made me a little envious.

I need to get back to Issan Country soon,

He was eating foods I had eaten but a few I have not and to be honest be a little nervous about trying.

Rat I dont think I could ever eat a rat but he seemed to force one down and the innards of a cows guts while eating laab nouer.

I love Laab but I have never tryed the undigested guts of a cow.

Anyone out there tryed either.

Good for you. :bah:

You must have eaten a load of crap in your homeland eh.

For sure, most of us have little or no choice but to eat a lot of crap in our homeland.america , england ,australia are rapidly approaching figures of 50 % of obese people. Consider the costs of treating obesity. it will bankrupt the health services. in our home countries.May I be allowed to state that I am a massive 58 kilos?Never been in a m'ds , once in kfc,never in a pizza hut, once on a pizza company- god awful they all were.Never been in any of your other "crap" homeland eateries.Enjoy your diabetes ,type 2 and your heart attacks ,etc.etc. It seems your password should be "Die young"

Edited by afarang

In Isaan buffalo afterbirth (plancenta) is the most esteemed delicacy, apparently. :bah:

Yes, and the farang complain here about a BigMac that they are '' forced '' to eat in their homeland. :lol:

Sadly, you don't seem to read very well. In times of economic stress ,people do choose to eat those heavily advertised "fast foods" That are killing people younger and younger, either through Diabetes ,type 2 ,or Heart attack.Simply because , rightly or wrongly.They believe this is the only way they can eat to satiate themselves at a minimum cost.A cost they believe they can afford.

Edited by afarang

Whoops ,forgot dog. To talk about some of the foods ,Isarn people eat, we need to understand that as recently as 20 years ago ,or even less ,this was a cashless society. They were hunters and gatherers. Any living creature(animals, that is) was their sole Protein source. My children love to eat : Snake ,Rat( bearing in mind that the rats are VEGETARIAN, and so are very clean) ,Insects that they catch themselves. Squirrels, They have a saying - if it moves eat it. Please remember ,this was a cashless society. You help me plant my Paddy ,I help you. Harvesting -the same. They primarily ate Forest food. Chicken , Pork etc, was ONLY eaten for celebratory occasions, like Funerals. They had no money to buy Protein foods.Whoops ,forgot dog.What else? go back ,if it move eat it,and they do .Still .It is in their DNA.

Edited by afarang

Vegetarian rats :lol:

It has not much to do with DNA :blink: - it's called survival! ;)

Absolutely, Sorry you did not get the joke but it is BOTH, yes they adore rat, caught in the paddy fields. And ,contrary to many "City Dwellers" ,they actually are VEGETARIAN RATS. The biggest problem with them is, if they do not get caught and consumed. They march into the villages when there is no paddy left,in the paddy fields for them to eat , hungry .and looking for food. Say no more!!!!

The pig / cow clotted blood dishes ( ? ) are the ones that make me say , Mai ow Kap.

My father in law eats raw cow, then again I am disgusting for eating cheese :D

Oh how we have a laugh :)

I've observed Isaaners eating rat raw uncooked, sushi style. They eat pig roar too.

I've bought piglets and puppies in Isaan and had them misteriously disappear - local Thai men licking their lips

Took my ex Surin wife to Dusit zoo in Bangkok and she walked around pointing out animals and saying which ones were aroy and which ones gin mai die..

Shameless.

I wonder what other cultures make of westerners eating frogs legs, snails, sheeps eyes and brain? Must admit I have never taken to grasshopper, but it was pointed out that why should grasshopper be frowned upon when we eat such things as sprats or whitebait - head, body, innards, the lot.

One man's meat is another man's poison!

Elwood

For sure, most of us have little or no choice but to eat a lot of crap in our homeland.america , england ,australia are rapidly approaching figures of 50 % of obese people. Consider the costs of treating obesity. it will bankrupt the health services. in our home countries.May I be allowed to state that I am a massive 58 kilos?Never been in a m'ds , once in kfc,never in a pizza hut, once on a pizza company- god awful they all were.Never been in any of your other "crap" homeland eateries.Enjoy your diabetes ,type 2 and your heart attacks ,etc.etc. It seems your password should be "Die young"

Outside of the ever popular fastfood outlets throughout the largely English speaking cultures [Anglo-American world], one has to examining the general diet and food systems that have sent societies in a tailspin as it applies to health, nutrition, and decent food.

Packaged, processed, tinned, artificial and chemically induced, etc. And so called fresh foods - vegetables, fruits, meats, grains - all fall under the aspices of super-hybrid GMOed categories. Not healthy. What's astounding is that these broader food systems and diets fall under the role of highly civilised.

Outside of the ever popular fastfood outlets throughout the largely English speaking cultures [Anglo-American world], one has to examining the general diet and food systems that have sent societies in a tailspin as it applies to health, nutrition, and decent food.

Packaged, processed, tinned, artificial and chemically induced, etc. And so called fresh foods - vegetables, fruits, meats, grains - all fall under the aspices of super-hybrid GMOed categories. Not healthy. What's astounding is that these broader food systems and diets fall under the role of highly civilised.

With a 9.6% prevalence rate for diabetes you would think the Thais would look more closely at their diets.

With a 9.6% prevalence rate for diabetes you would think the Thais would look more closely at their diets.

Sorry. Your expected apologist stance won't work for me.

Clearly, Western industrialised folks are the consistently sickliest.

Diet is everything.

Sorry. Your expected apologist stance won't work for me.

Clearly, Western industrialised folks are the consistently sickliest.

Diet is everything.

I'm no expert, but I do know that white rice is a complex carbohydrate that breaks down into simple sugar and is absorbed into the bloodstream. Rice can cause a rapid spike in blood sugar levels and may increase the risk of heart disease and diabetes. This is perhaps one of the reasons for higher than normal numbers of Thai people with diabetes.

Sorry ,but you are quite wrong. The primary cause of Diabetes type 2 ,in Thai society ,is highly refined white sugar. Of which the Thais are ,per Capita ,the highest consumers in the world.They put it into everything ,including Main Course Meals. And if the cook doesn't put enough in ,they ADD. Sugar is on every restaurant table. You do have a point. Khao HomMali ,does have a high Glysemic index ,but the health system does not seem to have a problem with that. It is refined white sugar that seems to be the culprit.However ,the Thai people have never been informed about the dangers of over-consuming sugar. It is starting to happen ,now. My local hospital(rural , last town before Cambodia) is currently treating , over 800 diabetics. With the advancing hordes of american"fast foods" what will the situation be in the future? It is a major problem in BKK. How will it impact on health budgets ,all over the world. u.s. eng. ,oz .are rapidly approaching 50 % of their total population as being classified as obese. Why are they obese? Never where when i last lived on Oz.

Sorry ,but you are quite wrong. The primary cause of Diabetes type 2 ,in Thai society ,is highly refined white sugar. Of which the Thais are ,per Capita ,the highest consumers in the world.They put it into everything ,including Main Course Meals. And if the cook doesn't put enough in ,they ADD. Sugar is on every restaurant table. You do have a point. Khao HomMali ,does have a high Glysemic index ,but the health system does not seem to have a problem with that. It is refined white sugar that seems to be the culprit.However ,the Thai people have never been informed about the dangers of over-consuming sugar. It is starting to happen ,now. My local hospital(rural , last town before Cambodia) is currently treating , over 800 diabetics. With the advancing hordes of american"fast foods" what will the situation be in the future? It is a major problem in BKK. How will it impact on health budgets ,all over the world. u.s. eng. ,oz .are rapidly approaching 50 % of their total population as being classified as obese. Why are they obese? Never where when i last lived on Oz.

Can't be,

The Malays put so much sugar in tea and coffee the spoon will stand on its own. They put sugar in curries to cool the heat and still think the food is spicy. The amount of sweets they consume just bothers me.

Thai Muslims are the same, of course, many are of the same blood and thought.

Used to be Thai food was not sweet. But now I have to specify when I order green curry at a restaurant to not make sweet. I think the farang coming here not being able to eat the spice made the Thais add it and now they put in more in their food. Didn't used to be that way. Now I won't eat at restaurants that are frequented by farang.

Edited by Gonsalviz

back in the early 60,s in what is now Ban koksamrahn in yasothon province I used to regularly slaughter and butcher village bought cattle, used to have to try all the delicasies :bah: curdled blood, warm rawheart,liver kidney even the raw tailmeat but what made me technicoloured yawn was trying to swallow a chunk of green unwashed tripe washed down with Lao khao.The most memorable pastime for me was in the dry season hunting monitors and lizards with long blowpipes and bamboo darts, and roasting the catch for dinner!!:jap:

I watched a program of Andrew Zimmern in Thailand and he actually vomited upon tasting Durian. The poof.

I never could understand the general consensus amongst a number of folks about how bad durian smells and tastes. I don't really notice the smell even when walking past a stall full of them and I've certainly tasted far, far worse.

Plus those durian chips are the bomb. I could eat those for hours.

I watched a program of Andrew Zimmern in Thailand and he actually vomited upon tasting Durian. The poof.

I never could understand the general consensus amongst a number of folks about how bad durian smells and tastes. I don't really notice the smell even when walking past a stall full of them and I've certainly tasted far, far worse.

Plus those durian chips are the bomb. I could eat those for hours.

...and they don't taste like they smell.

^ I was in an OTOP shop the other day and they had 'Pizza Flavoured Banana Chips". Intrigued ( and expecting them to taste bloody awful) I bought a bag. Bloody delicious. I wish I'd stocked up for when the munchies hit late at night.