Unidentified Foreigner Found Dead In Phitsanulok

Lite Beer

MURDER IN PHITSANULOK

Unidentified foreigner found dead in Phitsanulok

By The Nation on Sunday

A foreigner was found dead yesterday in a canal in Phitsanulok's Bang Rakam district.

Police believe the man - whose nationality remained unknown - was murdered. The victim's head was covered with a plastic bag fastened by sticky tape. The tape also covered his eyes and mouth. He had fair skin and blonde hair and wore a red-and-white shirt with a wide striped pattern and grey shorts.

Police said rescue workers told them they had often seen the man driving a motorcycle. They said he liked drinking alcohol and could speak Thai.

His body was sent to Bang Rakam Hospital for inspection. If an autopsy is needed, the body will be sent to the forensic department of the Buddha Chinaraj Hospital, police said.

Police said they were attempting to determine the man's identity and searching for the murderer.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-08-28

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, condolences to the family.

Excuse me, but the police "believe" he was murdered. Wow, what a deduction! Tape over the eyes, mouth, and a plastic bag over the head secured with tape.

If the man was seen around, and spoke Thai, it should be relatively easy to find those who know/knew him. Let's hope they find the person or persons responsible for this, and soon.

RIP

read the last line. very unusual.

Police said they were attempting to determine the man's identity and searching for the murderer.

Unusual!!! Why??? They are trying to find out who he is and are looking for the person(s) who murdered him. What is unusual - please tell me.

My god the police actually used the term " murderer". ...... There have been famous incidents in the past where a farang was found dead with a plastic bag taped around his head, and the police ruled it a suicide. Although this murder seems more like someone was sending a message. All a hit man has to do is to shoot someone in the head at close range, toss the cheap gun next to the body, and presto, suicide. With the way this one was done there will be a big manhunt....

Edited by rhiekel

Let hope in the next day or so police can track down those responsible for this tragic event and bring them to justice .

Police said rescue workers told them they had often seen the man driving a motorcycle. They said he liked drinking alcohol and could speak Thai.

My condolences to the family and friends. They saw the man often on his motorcycle, foreigners from the area should know him as well then………:jap:

Unusual!!! Why??? They are trying to find out who he is and are looking for the person(s) who murdered him. What is unusual - please tell me.

Condolences to the next of kin and catch the bastard(s) responsible soon!

Unusual in that they publicly admitted they are going to do something about this. "searching for the murderer"

As per Wikipedia......

The per 100,000 people murder rate for America is 5.0

The per 100,000 people murder rate for Thailand is 5.9

What would be fascinating to see would be the tourist murder rate per 100,000 here in Thailand.

But I suspect that figure is not open to public knowledge...... :whistling:

How would the rescue workers know if he could speak Thai if they found him dead?

Thoughts are with the family, next of kin.

I don't see how crimes reported in the USA have any bearing on this.

If the rescue workers told the police he could speak Thai, then one assumes they knew which country he came from.

Odd News report. No age, no further description. RIP whoever you are.

There are foreigner deaths in Thailand almost everyday. Most are clearly alcohol or substance abuse related. From swan dives off balconies in Pattaya to floaters in Phuket to Drunk driving motorcycle deaths.

All sad cases and a great portion of them self induced, even if murdered. I have seen some real lippy drunk foreigners flashing attitude.

Be interesting what they find out about this guy, if they do

How would the rescue workers know if he could speak Thai if they found him dead?

Thoughts are with the family, next of kin.

I don't see how crimes reported in the USA have any bearing on this.

If the rescue workers told the police he could speak Thai, then one assumes they knew which country he came from.

Unquote.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

As per Wikipedia......

The per 100,000 people murder rate for America is 5.0

The per 100,000 people murder rate for Thailand is 5.9

What would be fascinating to see would be the tourist murder rate per 100,000 here in Thailand.

But I suspect that figure is not open to public knowledge...... :whistling:

Not tourist deaths, they are fairly unusual - the murder rate for expats however would be interesting, but it would need to include suicides.

Does anyone know how PHITSANULOK ranks in terms of friendliness towards foreigners? Just curious since I've always thought Thais are friendlier outside of Bangkok. Maybe I'm wrong...but it seems to have been my experience.

Condolences to the next of kin and catch the bastard(s) responsible soon!

Unusual in that they publicly admitted they are going to do something about this. "searching for the murderer"

Oh C'mon!!! This stupid attitude about the police saying that everything is a suicide is rather childish and boring, don't you think???? They have made mistakes in the past by claiming that some deaths "must have been suicide" when in all likelihood this seems highly unlikely, often absurdedly so.

They are not the cleverest police force in the world and if they are confused or unsure about what caused the death then to hide their lack of forensic professionalism they blurt out that maybe they committed suicide!!! It opens them up to ridicule - but to make a big thing of them mentioning the word "murderer" is pathetic, and brings you down to their level, in my eyes!!!

One can only speculate about the circumstances leading up to this tragic event. Suicide....NO WAY!

I have been to Phitsanulok and never experienced or felt a threat to my safety. It has been said that the attitudes of Thai's in the central and northern regions are generally passive, friendly and and "somewhat" honest.

Sad case indeed, and I certainly hope the perps are apprehended and prosecuted!

Feel for the victim and his family!

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.

If an autopsy is needed?

That’s a strange comment or is this a huge misinterpretation?

Although the cause of death may appear obvious, an autopsy must be conducted in order to legally establish the cause of death and forward ahead as a murder investigation..

Do a search on Google and you will be amazed at how many farangs meet a drastic end per year in Thailand. It`s almost wholesale slaughter and if this wasn’t so tragic it could almost be classified as a joke.

I have to wonder what these people are doing here, what and who they become involved with?

Usually, there is more to these stories than the information that is initially presented. The news reports tend to fixate on gory details and often offer exagerated descriptions. It may very well turn out that there was no bag over his head, nor tape. Too many times we read reports that are rife with inaccuracies.

One can only speculate about the circumstances leading up to this tragic event. Suicide....NO WAY!

I have been to Phitsanulok and never experienced or felt a threat to my safety. It has been said that the attitudes of Thai's in the central and northern regions are generally passive, friendly and and "somewhat" honest.

Nobody has suggested that it is suicide.

Everyone comes here thinking the people are "friendly and...honest"

It takes time to realise they generally have no respect for foreigners at all - a bit like our home countries....

I seem to recall a similar incident 6-12 months ago, older farang, bagged and bound and thrown in a klong upcountry? Not saying they are related...

This one? Don't know re 'older' though I thought it was reported as likely being 30s.

Kamphaeng Phet in April of this year, unidentified farang found in a canal weighed down with blocks of concrete, had been knifed. Had shaved head, and tattoos incl 'LOVE' on his chest.

As far as I know he was never identified.

It was reported in ThaiRath but has now been archived.

Thai Visa thread here

The video of his body being recovered is still on YouTube.

Edited by Atmos

Nobody has suggested that it is suicide.

Everyone comes here thinking the people are "friendly and...honest"

It takes time to realise they generally have no respect for foreigners at all - a bit like our home countries....

Spot on mate, always makes me laugh when I'm having a beer in the tourist area and when asking them how they feel about the locals..... Oh they are such a lovely people always smiling :lol:

Of course the Thais have to keep up appearances for the tourists but us lifers know better.