Reading Reading Reading

bina

well steadily reading and re reading the few books i bought in the states, and starting with stuff in accesstoinsight...

but would like to know, is there equivalent sites with the dhamma etc in thai? that can be down loaded for instance ? or definitions fo things in thai , like what your wives etc might read??

just curious...

There must be. I will ask about next time I can - though Thai's have a different approach - less rationaliseation, more repetition. I like the Thai Tripitaka as it usually gives you the Pali words (or pali derived words) - I am forever reading suttas or books where the author talks of something like 'defilements' and I wonder is it Kilesa or asava etc... I wish they would put in the source code ! Ajahn Thanissaro and crew are buggers for doing this .. and they always try to find some 'alternative' word than the accepted one. Stress for Dukkha etc .... Grrrr

yeah i have a real problem with translations. i've noticed since i've learned to read the bible in the original (my kids have to for school so we do homework....)that suddenly i see lots of misquotes and realize that the word in english doesnt carry the same cultural weight now that i speak hebrew for instance so...the same must be applicable for thai and buddhism.

all these defilements etc do make me nuts...and aggegrates etc ... well, its like the jai words in thai-- many more ways to be upset/depressed etc with the different jai terms... and i actually like repetition (it seems to be a middle eastern thing also, to repeat to emphasize and or help with rememberance)