1095 To Pai Closed

T_Dog

Channel 3 News is showing video of a sizable amount of dirt on the road to Pai. Might be closed for 2 or 3 days as they wait for the dirt to stabilize and then clear it off the road. Lot's of landslides up toward Chiang Rai as well but no major roads closed.

Friend from Mae Hong Son, who works for the Ministry of Justice, was in Chiangmai over the weekend with a group of government employees on a seminar.

Should have gone back yesterday afternoon via Pai but told the road was blocked and there was already a three kilometer long traffic jam.

Given permission to stay over for another night and to leave this morning; via Pai, if possible, or via Mae Sariang if not.

Group due to leave this morning. As I haven't heard anything I presume they got away, but by which route I don't know.

Just been in touch with Aya Travel as I'm wanting to go to Pai tomorrow and they said there's no problem with the road. They use that route on a hourly basis.

I got to the landslide about 2 minutes before it started. That was at 1:30, here is a photo I took at 3:30pm on the 28th. At this point it was still active and moving.

post-94770-0-01454200-1314602485_thumb.j

Just been in touch with Aya Travel as I'm wanting to go to Pai tomorrow and they said there's no problem with the road. They use that route on a hourly basis.

I got to the landslide about 2 minutes before it started. That was at 1:30, here is a photo I took at 3:30pm on the 28th. At this point it was still active and moving.

Notice the downed tree where I was standing. I felt like a fool getting that close. I wouldn't be surprised if it grew much larger since the time I took that photo.

Edited by TrippRitter

Notice the downed tree where I was standing. I felt like a fool getting that close. I wouldn't be surprised if it grew much larger since the time I took that photo.

Actually, now that I think about it I bet someone cut that tree down to block the road from cars getting to close. Much more likely.

And I thought the 'magic bus' was just the one that got me home after a night of boozing.

I don't know how long you've been in Thailand, but you must be aware that what Thais tell you does not necessarily have a relationship to the truth as Westerners perceive it. One indication that the information might not be factual is if their lips are moving.

Edited by chaoyang

I don't know how long you've been in Thailand, but you must be aware that what Thais tell you does not necessarily have a relationship to the truth as Westerners perceive it. One indication that the information might not be factual is if their lips are moving.

This. An hour and a half after the landslide I stopped about 10km from the slide at a road side stall and all the tourists were pissed off and had no idea why they had been waiting for over an hour. I assumed they knew what was going on and asked them if they had any info on the landslide. They had no idea what was going on, they were pissed off and rightfully so. I think the minivan drivers hated me for informing them of what was really going on. An hour later they turned around and headed back for CM.

If that is how you feel, the truth being centered around yourself and people just like you, then perhaps you have been in Thailand a tad too long and perhaps it is time to go back to where you came from. But beware your home country politicians.

If that is how you feel, the truth being centered around yourself and people just like you, then perhaps you have been in Thailand a tad too long and perhaps it is time to go back to where you came from. But beware your home country politicians.

Every time someone on TV dares to criticize Thais, Thai culture or anything else Thai - or even make a joke about it - someone else always comes along and tells them to GO BACK TO YOUR OWN COUNTRY. This happens even if the "offending" comment was accurate or not. I think this is sad - this attempt at censorship from non-moderators. It is also an attack on a person and not on what was said.

The issue is not about me and the politicians in my home country, it's about whether the road to Pai is blocked or not blocked. However you want to spin it culturally, people cannot pass that very real barrier if it is there. All the cultural mumbo-jumbo won't change that.

The travel company wants to sell a ticket NOW regardless of whether the road is closed or not, so its people will say the road is not closed. After that it's "up to you". They'll most likely laugh among themselves about the hapless tourist. This is S.O.P. in Thailand.

TrippRitter: Great photo! The TV footage showed it coming a long way down the mountain. Wet landslides like that are really dangerous and they do keep moving for quite a long time. Anyone have any information on when the road might be open so we can get this thread back on topic?

Chaoyang may or may not have made a mistake is his words. His words are most certainly wrong unless put into context.

A young girl at a company that sells bus trips to foreigners, will tell you the roads are clear without checking because they are always willing to please. Now was she lying? I doubt it. But was it the truth? Apparently not. In that instance he is not wrong but the truth has not been revealed.

Thais do not listen to the news. Soaps are infinitely more entertaining. I have even seen adult men in restaurant watching Soaps with their mouth open and no food going in or being chewed.

Now as to your average Thai, I doubt the words out of their mouth are any less doubtful than what comes out of the mouths of some Farang.

One could always take the back route via Samoeng as a last resort... not a great idea in the wet though.

I bet it is a mess this year with all the rain. We took it back from Pai in the dry season last year and choked on dust. Surprising amount of traffic on that track. Still had to go around many ruts left over from the rainy season.

Ohh come on.. Even with the best will in the world, you have to accept that culturally, absolute factual truth, is not given the same kind of relative merit here.

Every time someone on TV dares to criticize Thais, Thai culture or anything else Thai - or even make a joke about it - someone else always comes along and tells them to GO BACK TO YOUR OWN COUNTRY. This happens even if the "offending" comment was accurate or not. I think this is sad -

Normally I would agree with you, especially when it is in response to a legitimate concern. But in this case: please. Read his negative, racist tripe again and see if an exception can be made in this case, and point him in the direction of CNX International.

Normally I would agree with you, especially when it is in response to a legitimate concern. But in this case: please. Read his negative, racist tripe again and see if an exception can be made in this case, and point him in the direction of CNX International.

You buyin'? Might be worth it to get the unsavory tripe (or truth?) outta here.