Australian visa for Thai GF rejected

Noi Jeffers

Hi All

This is our storey to date on obtaining a Visa for my girlfriend to come to Australia.

Storey 1

We have a relationship for 1.5 years now and I have seperated form my wife for 6 months now. Time for my girlfriend to visit Australia and see if the relationship can continue.

We went to the Embassy and enquired about a visa and were informed we could have a 6 month visa and were given the info to make the application inclusive of medical checks and xrays.

All information completed and with job referance and some money in the banke we lodged the application.Which of course was rejected.

We made an appointment to see the senior case officer and had to wait until the afternoon to see her.

Our submission included

Pictures from 1 to 1.5 years ago

emails.

Profile of my business in Australia ($800 cost from my accountant)

Bank statments form myself

Gaurantee letter form myself for accomodation and out of pocket expenses for her.

Paid Air Ticket

3 Letters from my staff who have worked in Thailand an know of the relationship.

Information regarding my companies exports to Thailand over 4 years and an aknowledgment with another department in the embassy.

Meeting with the senior case office.

The discussion was with my girlfriend and I was non existant.

Visa again rejected.

I was then told to lodge a fiancee visa I explained we could not do this as I have only been sperated for 6 months.

Cut a long storey short.After 1.5 hrs of pleading and tough negotiation we were given a 3 months visa with the following conditions.

No further stay, No work and allowed to study.

We returned on the 27th of January this year and had complide with all.

We met with the senior case officer who then said we could have a further 2 visa's of 3 Months or 1 visa for 6 Months.(What happens after that who knows) She also indicated I would not have to be present next time and all would be ok.

Storey 2.

We decided to apply for a study visa as this has a few more allowances and this would also be something for my girlfriend to do while I was at work.

Her family provided the money $4,900 for the study as she was denied eductaion as she had to work on the farm to help provide for her 3 lazy sisters to go to school and who do nothing to provide these days. What a waste.

My girlfriend has saved for the airfare and I paid the 8,000 baht application fee. This had to be in the form of a bank check and is non refundable.

So off to the Embassy and I let her do the application. You guess it rejected. No previous study and not enough money in the bank, I could have adjusted this but prefered to be honest anyhow she has a letter of sponser for out of pocket expenses and accomodation.(She has 28,000 baht in the bank, 20,000 baht in cash and $1,000 in cash already exchanged) Not enough money ??.

So again have to wait for an interview with a senior case officer.

Meeting with the case officer (Thai).

Previous Senior case officer Australian (No help here)

Explaind all the facts to the case officer. Previous one in hospital having a baby. Showed all the documentation and explained that the previous case officer had said no problem.

So explained the storey again

Previous visa allowed her to study.

Complied in all ways last time and came beck on time.

Were told we could have a visa nex time after staying in Thailand for a minimum of 6 weeks before lodging the next application.

We were told the previous case officer made no notes about this. (Why not)

We were asked why a study visa (This is more flexible and if you enrol on another course you can extend so I have been told, but I did not mention this. Instead I said that this is more appropriate as this is exactly what my girlfriend is going to do. So why ask for a holiday visa. I also explained there ate many types of visas and said all of them would have some sort of difficulty so lets stay with this one.

Any way she seemed compasionate and accepted all the information and told us to come back on Monday.

I returned on Friday to the Embassy on business with a senior trade commisioner and on my way out I requested he walk only with me so as I could see if the Passport was ready for collection.

Was this a mistake. "I told you to come back on Monday" I was told. I said "should there be some problem I would like to try and discuss it as I had business to attend to on Monday anf if the visa was rejected this would complicate matters for me on Monday". "I informed you we will have an answer on Monday" I was again told.

So sheepishly and like a dog with its tail between its legs I walked off. The trade commisioner could not believe it and I am not sure if this did some damage as one department cannot associate with the other.

I have in the past sent 3 letters for visitors from companies that I do business with for them to send representatives to visit my company in Australia. I have a joint venture under signing and will be sending another invitation for 3 staff members to visit me in Australia late next month. Funny is it not no questions here.

So this is where we are and Monday should be very interesting. I have cancelled my business appointment due to the unknown.

Regards

Ps where is the spell check.

So we visited the Australian Embassy today to hopefully collect our student visa and well what did you expect.

NO VISA

Reason

1) No evidence of previous schooling.

Maybe should have got a bogus one but preffered to play it straight.

2) The relevance of the proposed study to further study or employment ???

I thought I explained that, probably should have put it in writing. My girl friend has acted many times as an interpreter for my business in Thailand and this is the end objective to work with me as well as being a girlfriend.

So lost 8,000 baht on this one

Spent a further 1,700 baht and we received a 3 months holiday visa

No further stay

No work

Can Study

Xray required if study more than 4 weeks ?? (They have the xray)

So have to be happy with that for now and in June or July if she passes her exams they may reconsider a 6 month visa another 8,000 baht. Agian make sure you have all the paper work correct. We have noted your case on the computer and next time if all is ok should be no problem. (Sure ! not fobing me off are you)

So we hold our breath for the next chapter of mystery at the embassy.

Good luck to all

Hi, and welcome to Thailand Expat Forum.

I am NOT an expert on Australian visas, but I can imagine that they got confused about the reason for your GF visa application:

Is she really going to study or you just want her to enter Australia and stay with you? Maybe a fiancee visa would have been more appropriate?

The Embassies in BKK are having a hard time to determinate the real reasons for TG:s applying.

Whay you not marry her asap and apply for a marriage visa (as soon as the your divorce is on paper)?

As I said, I am no expert on Aussie visas. Maybe we have someone in this forum with experience?

Visas are always a tricky one, because what has worked for one persons case, may never again work for another case with similar circumstances.

A simple rule?  Start out slowly, with her first trip to Australia being for a month or 6 weeks holiday only - as you said yourself, "time for my GF to VISIT Australia and see if it works out" etc.  Don't bite off too much by applying for a long visa, or anything else (study etc) before you have both had a chance to see how the first small trip goes.

You'll easily know within a month how viable the longer picture looks.

This will cost in the airfare department, obviously - but a few shorter trips over say 1-2 year, with her returning exactly on time, will look better on the next application.

My guess is that her applications are now flagged because you have applied for different visas each time the application has been rejected.

You are also at the whim of embassy staff - and you have my sympathies!!  As you and many others will know, you can get the wrong staffer on the wrong day, and molehills will instantly turn into Mount Everest!!

Good luck.

Many thankks to Howard and George.

You are correct the Idea was given to us by expat Thai's in Brisbane all made it sound so easy for a student visa. Extensions there after were easy and this what to do.

What I had forgotton is that the first Visa was based very heavily on a relationship. Ooops that was good but no good and of course they are aware of all the plans/ideas.

(The course is legit and she wants to study)

The head of Immigration is aware of our case with all the noise I made (good or bad)

So if GF passes and behaves good chance for study visa next time. (more than 50% I am told)

Fiancee visa have to wait for another 5 months and then who knows how long before wife signs for divorce.

Been married for 22 years and future marriage ??? prefer GF and maybe later marriage.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

One full year apart enables you to apply for a decree nisi at Australian Family Law.   A hearing can be fast. You need to formalize your financial matters with the present wife.

Australian Immigration are suspicious of education based applications were there is limited background education. A tourist visa only enables short term study up to 3 months.   Try and see another Australian officer. Be aware that the refusal of a tourist visa is not an appealable matter, while  other classes enable appeal to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal. I suggest the ' no notes ' is a standard reply. No rights to disclosure are available.

I think the change of tactics blew it for you. They know it

relationship based. A six month visa is not common nowdays and the Australian authorities are looking for a  compelling reason for the Thai to return home. eg. money job close family

I agree with SeaVisionBurma

My then GF, now wife,  applied for a holiday visa saying she wished to spend 6 weeks in Australia.

The purpose? To meet my family & be a tourist. She presented phone records showing daily calls, a joint account with Bangkok Bank 300,000 Baht.

Also a letter from me to her family explaining MY future plans which were/are to spend 2 months in Thailand & then 2 months in Australia for the forseeable future, leading to fulltime living in Thailand. Plus a letter stating my position in my company (owner) & salary directed at the visa section Australian Embassy, on company letterhead.

She was granted a 3 month Tourist visa, HOWEVER, the consulate official told her she could stay for 2 months only, thus we ensured she returned to Thailand in 7 weeks.

The 2nd visa was granted within 1 hour of applying no interview and for 3 months.

Slowly, carefully & thoughtfully; remember in this situation "the customer is NOT always right"

seykota

You and SeaV hit the nail on the head. My impression is that many Aussie's present at the Embassy thinking that any visa  is is theirs for the asking. Politeness, and liberal quantities of humble pie, together with adequate preparation, will win the day. The demeanor and dress of female applicants is so very important too. I am not singling out Australia as particularly difficult....all Embassies make it hard.