Mae Sai

We are thinking of going there in a couple of weeks - we live in Thailand on a retirement visa, will we need to get a re-entry permit to do that shopping trip? I'm asking because I've heard from others than no re-entry is needed for some weird reason? I know that leaving the country changes your 90 checkup, but wouldn't you still need permission to leave and re-enter the country, regardless of where that happens on a retirement visa?

You can get what they call a VIP pass to enter Myanmar.

Take two photo copies of your passport and present it to border immigration with 100B.

When you cross over you pay your $10/500B to the Burmese as normal then get your passport (which you have left with the Thais) back when you return.

Not a bad system actually, saves stamps in your passport and you get to do a bit of queue jumping.

I believe the 1 day passes are no longer issued but a 14 day pass is issued but must stay within Tachileik.

Cross the bridge into Tachileik, Myanmar (which the Thais call Tha Khi Lek ท่าขี้เหล็ก). An entry permit valid for up to 14 days costs 500 baht or 10 US$. Travellers using this option are given a paper entry permit and their passports are held at the immigration office until they return to Thailand. Stop at the entry point and talk with the Thai officials to organise this.It is easily done.

And since your passport doesn't leave the country, for a few hours' shopping in Tachilek on a 'VIP Day-Pass', therefore your 90-day-reporting similarly does not re-set, because you're not stamped-back-in either !

Think of it as a very-useful (900B cheaper !) informal exit/re-entry procedure ! :rolleyes:

The OP does not indicate where she lives, but if near Bangkok / Pattaya / Rayong then I would suggest a trip tp "Rong Kluea Market" near Aranyaprathet - a day trip from any of the places I mentioned. (Google it).

Huge place with an amazing range of stuff - and it's in Thailand so obviously no hassle with Visas / Re-entry Permits etc..

Patrick

I wonder who on earth would want to spend 14 days in Tatchilek.. Recently I crossed over and wanted to go to Kentung by bus. Was told I had to take a local guide with me at Bht 1000 a day. Perhaps thats the reasoning of the Burmese govt in giving 14 days .