Uk Passports Now Being Sent Directly From United Kingdom

theoldgit

From the 18th August the Regional Passport Centre in Hong Kong stopped producing passports, they are now printed and mailed from the UK.

You still have to apply via Hong Kong, and of course pay the higher rate that was previously justified to cover the cost of printing the passports overseas.

Passports are couriered from the UK at an extra cost of £19.86.

A passport printed in the UK and sent to somebody overseas costs $128.00, plus delivery, for the standard passport, as opposed to £77.50, including delivery, for someone who applies in the UK, and £154.50 / £90.50 respectively for the jumbo passport.

I could possibly accept the 60 & 70% higher charge, albeit begrudgingly, as they say it costs more to produce a passport overseas, but charging a higher fee for something that is produced in the Uk, plus delivery costs, doesn't seem right to me.

http://ukinhongkong....ailand/renewals

When we have to send our stuff directly to the UK, will they charge the amount that a person in the UK has to pay or more?

Of course they'll charge more but accoring to the OP you will still have to send the application to HK and the passport will be sent from UK.

When we have to send our stuff directly to the UK, will they charge the amount that a person in the UK has to pay or more?

Of course they'll charge more but accoring to the OP you will still have to send the application to HK and the passport will be sent from UK.

The new rules for next year state that we do not bother with HK anymore but send directly to the UK.

The new rules for next year state that we do not bother with HK anymore but send directly to the UK.

Thanks, missed that bit.

If anyone cares to Google 'petition by UK expats about passports' will see that every expat community from Spain to Australia are complaining either to their MP's or the PM direct. This problem has been on going for years and the EU commission are investigating. Who will win ? We surely won't. Same as with the State Pensions issue. http://www.ukgovabusesexpats.co.uk/Petitions/passport-fees.php

Edited by sinbin

Yes, they seem to be complaining about the higher cost of producing a passport overseas, of course that will no longer apply as they are now printed in The UK.

Also the IPS would not allow applicants to send an application for a passport to The UK, for "security reasons" that no longer applies either.

I have written to the IPS and will post their response when they reply.

Who cares where your ruddy passport comes from!?

you would do if you were British, but hey if the UK shows that it works then what is to stop the other

countries from copying the idea.

I am British!

Tell me why it matters to me if it comes from HK or the UK?

bit slow off the mark arent we ? been on the grog last night or already started ?

its just been spelt out to you in the op why you would might care where it comes from because of the extra costs or is money no object to you.

just got off the plane at swampy ? theres one born every minute ! still more live bait for the girls on lower suk and the nana area to get their teeth stuck into i suppose. whistling.gif

Edited by tigerfish

you would do if you were British, but hey if the UK shows that it works then what is to stop the other

I am British!

It should be cheaper coming from UK as they don't have the 'higher costs of printing overseas' in UK

I am British!

bit slow off the mark arent we ? been on the grog last night or already started ?

its just been spelt out to you in the op why you would might care where it comes from because of the extra costs or is money no object to you.

just got off the plane at swampy ? theres one born every minute ! still more live bait for the girls on lower suk and the nana area to get their teeth stuck into i suppose. whistling.gif

As I thought, all whinging about a little bit of extra money once every TEN years. What a pathetic lot on here.

Can't you all find something else to complain about like the price of rice going up 1 baht?

Edited by hotandhumid

Are you really poor or do you just always need something to complain about?

Nobody's complaining, we were just wondering how the IPS justified a premium of 60/70% for for something produced in the UK to be delivered overseas, maybe you could enlighten us?

How do you think an extra fifty quid represents a good deal?

Well if I were here on tourist visas and staying for a long time, the 50quid would be a lot of money as every time I would have to do a visa run, it would mean about 1.5 pages being used per time, (1 for Cambodian Visa, half page for entry and exit to/from Thailand), considering a new 32 page passport has only 25 pages to use, that would be 16 border runs, if I was doing it every 15 days then my passport would run out quickly. Even those with Multi entry tourist visas will be filling a Passport rather quickly, so yes I would be peeved about 50quid, considering if I was in the UK a new passport would cost 77.50GBP.

It's not about money, for me. It's the injustice of being treated differently to UK residents. I pay UK taxes, but don't get equal treatment. What next, a one off payment to live outside of the UK ? That I'd pay willingly.

Well I have received a reply from the IPS, I asked them why is it that passports produced in the UK and sent overseas cost up to 60% more than the same passports posted within the UK. I also asked that when the on-line applications start next year, removing the need for for Regional Passport Centres. could they confirm that the cost of the passport cost would be the same, excluding delivery.

I advised them that as an ex-Civil Servant I am used to drafting generic responses for MP's, Ministers and the general public, so could they give me a meaningful answer.

Dear theoldgit,

Thank you for your enquiry.

The Identity and Passport Service are unable to advise you on overseas applications as they are not dealt with here.

If you wish to renew or apply for a UK passport whilst overseas, or you have any queries relating to making your application, you will need to contact your nearest British Embassy.

In order to locate your nearest Embassy you can contact the Foreign Office. The website address is http://www.fco.gov.uk.

Thank you.

Customer service e-mail team

You have to love 'em