Kanson Sushi, Thapae Gate

realthaideal

I'm about to head out for a little lunch at a little place that is convenient whenever I'm in the middle of town and thought I'd give them a pat on the back. They're nothing spectacular or fancy, but they do what they do well and for a good price. Kanson Sushi Bar is off of Kotchasan as you pass the fancied-up Imm Hotel and new McD's Thapae, you take the first left on that little soi just after it, and it's on the right side next to a used book shop.

They do 2 things that I really like:

Most important is that, unlike what most Thai-run places do to sushi, they respect the rice. They don't overmix it with harshness turning the whole mess into a big pile of pasty glop. Instead they season it appropriately - not too sweet, not too plain, with the right amount of vinegar - and treat it gently so that the sushi has the right consistency and each grain of rice is intact. It has the right taste and mouthfeel.

The other thing I like is their house special "Kanson Roll" which is actually a Thai fusion roll filled with moo ping (Thai bbq pork), and it's a good idea ! These days everybody does dragon rolls, caterpillar rolls, etc., and covers the multi-colored sushi in all kinds of sauce. This one stands out for being simple, and mighty tasty.

It's also worth noting that they don't drown everything in globs of sweet mayonnaise either. Their sushi is just nice - the girl sushi chef trained with real Japanese people in a restaurant for several years.

The menu's limited and simple, but it's plenty for what it is. Sometimes I see the place empty, sometimes it's got a few other folks in there. The owner, K. Kanson, is nice and usually talks to everyone who comes in. I can eat there pretty good for about 100B / person. If two people spend 300B together, they'll eat well and that should cover food + a soda/ tea/ or water for them too.

Anyway, a nod to a simple place doing a good job. I don't necessarily go out of my way to go there, but when in the area, it's always on my list.

• Like 1

I went by n grabbed a couple rolls to take home yesterday.... and was sad they didn't have the bbq pork roll ! She said it doesn't sell enough and that if I want to call in adv by one hr she can do it. I told her I just bragged about the roll n you need to have everything on the menu... she said with pork prices how they are, and not many Farang ordering pork, sales of it were low.... too bad. I don't thin it's on the menu anymore either now.... hmmm. I told her if alot of customers come in asking for it now, she's gonna have to always have it as we expect consistency.... I know she's married to a westerner, so I'm sure she understands. Hope it makes a reappearance and that a few other ppl bug her about it too !

My dragon n salmon roll, btw, were excellent. She always throws in free miso soup if she recognizes you as a regular/local too. I appreciate little gestures like that.

• 5 months later...

Had strange incident there last night. Paid the bill. Said thanks to the ladyboy waitress as she was coming to collect the plates. I'd accidentally left my smartphone on the table so she must have seen it almost immediately. I wandered deeper into that soi and read a noticeboard for a minute before realising the phone was missing. I jogged back 25 metres and asked about the phone. The same waitress pulled it out of her apron pocket and handed it back. Strangely, it was now switched off and the plastic cover had been removed then put on upside down. I can only assume she was trying to bypass the security swipe feature. I asked why and was just given innocent "I don't know"s from both waitresses.

Had strange incident there last night. Paid the bill. Said thanks to the ladyboy waitress as she was coming to collect the plates. I'd accidentally left my smartphone on the table so she must have seen it almost immediately. I wandered deeper into that soi and read a noticeboard for a minute before realising the phone was missing. I jogged back 25 metres and asked about the phone. The same waitress pulled it out of her apron pocket and handed it back. Strangely, it was now switched off and the plastic cover had been removed then put on upside down. I can only assume she was trying to bypass the security swipe feature. I asked why and was just given innocent "I don't know"s from both waitresses.

Why refer to a man as "she"?

• Like 1

You are just highly lucky you got your smartphone back, julesdick.

It is a testimony to the restaurant staff that they immediately returned your phone to you when you reappeared.

I wouldn't read too much into the case being reversed, etc. Perhaps they messed with your phone to search the phone memory for "Own Number". You do have your own name, and "Own Number" or something like that registered in your Contacts, I assume?

Anyone who has ever worked in a bar or restaurant realizes that customers literally leave a treasure trove of things..and many never come back to reclaim the lost goods.

And in Thailand, people rarely turn lost items into the police...just not done.

You are a very lucky sushi-eating guy....;)

>>Perhaps they messed with your phone to search the phone memory for "Own Number"

Very good point. Had not considered that. Although she spoke very good English and it would have been in her interest to explain if that were indeed the case.

Edited by julesdick