Most Powerful Ultra-Portable (<13.1 Inches) Windows Laptop Available In Thailand?

Raptor7

any thoughts on what is the most powerful ultra-portable windows-based laptop available to buy in Thailand?

(I'm thinking around 13 inches in display or less)...

(some google searches suggest the LeNovo ThinkPad X1 or X220 or Sony Vaio SB series?? ....)

If you're looking for an Ultraportable i7-core, Acers are a good place to start - perhaps not quite the build quality or visual appeal as the Sonys or Fujistsu lifebooks etc - but generally much more bang for your buck. Or much less buck for similar bang. And Acer service in Thailand is probably at least as good or better than most due to their market dominance here. Acers usually offer very similar models in the Aspire and Travelmate ranges - but the Travelmate series tend to look more business like and have slightly different ports/options that may appeal to a business user. Get a hold of their business catalogue and check their website - it can be hard to actually locate the machines in shops - many don't carry the full range.

Asus also building some award winning ultraportables these days - no personal experience, but not an option I'd rule out.

Entry level to mid-range Lenovos more competitive than ever price wise - though I'm not the fan I used to be. In the past I've paid silly money for top spec IBM Thinkpads in Thailand - not sure on the current situation.

If price isn't an issue, then Sony make some awesome ultraportables, but expect to pay way more than US online prices for top end models. The Z series models are over 100k last I checked. Worth checking out prices in HK, Singapore etc - or getting someone to buy one in the states.

Ditto Fujitsu Lifebook- who probably make the best ultraportable tablet/multi-format gear, but the prices I saw here 6-12 months back were just rude.

wow..thanks for all of those ideas! I can wait just a bit (as my old HP Pavilion dv6000 still has some life)...but all of those new choices look great!

...to be fair on the comparison scale....I think I will wait to see the new sleek LeNovo U300S (that sfokevin mentioned)...hope it comes soon to Bangkok

[P.S. I like/luv Apple, but only for iPhone4, iPad1 (dont have money for iPad2) and iPod Nano6 (and AAPL stock of course)...

my AirMac1 laptop doesnt get much use...only my HP Pavilion laptop does--but I suppose that's because of Windows based work]

• 1 month later...

Alienware M11x. Battlefield 3 on high anyone on a laptop???

Most of the above have dire graphics cards.

M11x has a 2GB DDR3 GT540M Nvidia card. Which can hit 10000 3DMarks06 compared to most of the above mentions scores of 3000-4000.

Expensive in Thailand tho. Better off ordering from hidevolution.com delivered to your door in 3-4 days and import duty on new laptops is 0% only 7% VAT will be paid.

IF you are prepared to go a little bigger the alienware M14x is truly a beast performance wise and hits 14000-15000 3dmark06 scores......amazing for the size of machine.

The sony Z is very very nice machine but they have ruined this years model by putting a pretty average graphics card in a external media dock so you lose portability and have to carry that thing round also.

Previous years Z models were much better with a almost as good graphics card built in.

also the price is 109900thb in thailand, Hong Kong price for the same top model is 92000THB.

Cheaper to fly air asia to hongkong buy it there fly back and still have 12000thb saving over the thai price for the same machine with worldwide warranty. crazy

Edited by negreanu