New BTS Bearing Extension Solves Congestion Problems

webfact

New BTS Bearing Extension Solves Congestion Problems

The new BTS Skytrain Bearing extension has been in operation for a few weeks and already it is proving to be efficient in solving traffic congestion.

Before the inauguration of the BTS Skytrain on December 1999, traffic flow along Sukhumvit and Bangna-Trad roads was bad.

Although the skytrain brought a significant ease in traveling for office workers at rush hours, problems still remained for those living in the outer areas of Samrong Nuea district.

So it comes to much relief for many when the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration or BMA, finally launched the BTS extension from Onnut to Bearing.

The line extends a further 5.25 kilometers, connecting 30 stations.

It is not only BTS commuters that are finding it easier to get to work, drivers are also finding smoother trip along Bangna-Trad road once the BTS extension was put into use.

Taxis and public buses that used to clog up the BTS Onnut station have now spread to pick up passengers at the newly opened stations leading up to Bearing.

According to Police Lieutenant Colonel Narongchai Noisri of the Bangna Police Station, traffic flows have changed as more commuters turn to the BTS.

However, there are still several issues concerning parking and drop-off space that is limited in that area.

Police say construction of more parking lots would help solve the issue.

Right now the extension line is free until January 2012.

However, if the fare is too high, traveling by BTS might not be an option for passengers in the area anymore.

Bangkok residents are now looking forward to the new BTS Silom extension in hopes for a more convenient lifestyle as that of passengers for the Sukhumvit line.

Tanhathai Kanjanasoon, for Thai-ASEAN News Network.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-08-30

footer_n.gif

Now they just need to do something about the congestion ON the BTS, particularly at some of the central stations (Asoke - Siam).

I caught the train from Nana to Sima this morning at 11.30am. Now I know how sardines feel after they have been packed into those little tins. :huh:. Seriously though, I think the management team at BTS should install some BTS staff on the trains for a few weeks to 'educate' people on how to move inside the train. Actually this morning there was stacks of room inside the train but the problem was getting through the door. Still, better than sitting in a taxi.

I get mixed experiences, some days theres enough room for me to get on the first train that arrives (albeit you have to get up close and personal) and sometimes i have to wait several trains before i can maange to get on.

I hope they bring the four carriage trains on soon and hopefully increase the frequency of the trains a little as well