Lion X Os For Mac Users

klons

This may be old news but it's breaking news to me. If you have a mac ver. 10.6.8 or better, you can download and install

Lion X OS from the apps store. After that you go do this to get a Thai voice:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20082143-263/how-to-install-and-use-mac-os-x-lions-high-quality-speech-voices/

and then you can highlight your Thai text and your computer can read it back to you in Thai.

That's pretty cool, might need to update my OS for that. Does it have a selection of voices to choose from? Is there a maximum string length it can handle? How does it handle nonsense words like รด่หก้ดน่่ด้เก่รคถุึค?

That's pretty cool, might need to update my OS for that. Does it have a selection of voices to choose from? Is there a maximum string length it can handle? How does it handle nonsense words like รด่หก้ดน่่ด้เก่รคถุึค?

I don’t have a whole lot of experience with it yet, just an hour or 2. There is

only one Thai voice. As for string length, I don’t think there is a limit, it will

keep going with what is highlited. I also noticed if I have text open on pages

or text edit, if I don’t highlite it will just read the whole thing. Some sites

like the Thai Rath, where I can’t highlight text, I can save the article as a

web archive, open it up with text edit and then can highlite etc.

It does have some bugs. It messed up one abbreviation I recall, I think

ซดช. or ซตช. it was prounounced as sadot. All others I heard I think it

got correct, either saying the letters or what it stood for like police station.

Another bug was จริงๆ which it said as jing then pronounced the name

of the ๆ mark. Same thing with the abbreviation mark like is put after

กรุงเทพฯ (for example).

Overall , I still rate it an A+.

Here is a clip for your nonsense.

nonsenseword.mp3

Edited by klons

I don’t have a whole lot of experience with it yet, just an hour or 2. There is

only one Thai voice. As for string length, I don’t think there is a limit, it will

keep going with what is highlited. I also noticed if I have text open on pages

or text edit, if I don’t highlite it will just read the whole thing. Some sites

like the Thai Rath, where I can’t highlight text, I can save the article as a

web archive, open it up with text edit and then can highlite etc.

It does have some bugs. It messed up one abbreviation I recall, I think

ซดช. or ซตช. it was prounounced as sadot. All others I heard I think it

got correct, either saying the letters or what it stood for like police station.

Another bug was จริงๆ which it said as jing then pronounced the name

of the ๆ mark. Same thing with the abbreviation mark like is put after

กรุงเทพฯ (for example).

Overall , I still rate it an A+.

Here is a clip for your nonsense.

nonsenseword.mp3

I was just using it and she did say lek lek for เล็กๆ . I don't now what happened with the jingthing, maybe it wasn't spaced properly in the text or something.

She also said grungthep for กรุงเทพฯ it was a different abbreviated word with the ฯ that I don't remember exactly . So I think they are probably fluke errors that happen once in a while.

Edited by klons

I can confirm it was the spacing in the text that caused the bug. เล็กๆ will be pronounced lek lek but เล็ก ๆ wilth the space is said as lek maiyamohk.

The abbreviation symbol marker is probably the same. So in conclusion, it was errors in the text not the speech program.

I can confirm it was the spacing in the text that caused the bug. เล็กๆ will be pronounced lek lek but เล็ก ๆ wilth the space is said as lek maiyamohk.

The abbreviation symbol marker is probably the same. So in conclusion, it was errors in the text not the speech program.

Unfortunately, the space is obligatory in Thai - http://www.thai-language.com/ref/spacing .

Unfortunately, the space is obligatory in Thai - http://www.thai-language.com/ref/spacing .

Oh, I never did get around to studying that stuff. I sent in a bug report to apple, it was really confusing trying to explain it.

I expect it will get fixed sometime in the future. In the meantime, I can always edit the text for speaking if needed.