Google Street View Is Coming To Thailand

webfact

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a classic story in the UK when they were doing the same thing....."Horse Man" was captured and no-one really found out why!

http://maps.google.c...sTx3KsW6UThZYqQ

It looks funny, but when looking from different angles it appears that it's a woman with her hair sticking out due to wind or her movements.

I wonder if anyone here is going to dress up in costume waiting for the Google camera cars to take photos of them and / or make some funny poses.

Edited by hyperdimension

Awesome!

I 2nd that!

Thirded.

Google Street view, currently being rolled out in countries across the world is turning up some unexpected pictures.

Here a Brit was caught rather the worse for wear outside a pub:

14xjepf.jpg

http://www.businessinsider.com/google-takes-down-pictures-of-vomiting-british-dude-2009-3

And an Aussie was caught on the dunny:

2cpf5fb.jpg

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/682/1050682/aussie-caught-dunny-google-earth

I wonder how Thai privacy laws will interpret this.

I for one do not want my private abode with detailed location information splashed all over the internet without my permission.

You need to beam to another time warp, then. You have nothing to say about it, Technology is traveling at the speed of light and can't be stopped.

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder how Thai privacy laws will interpret this.

I for one do not want my private abode with detailed location information splashed all over the internet without my permission.

Too bad, but you don't have a choice. Google will not be trespassing on your private property, and it breaks no laws to take photographs in a public place.

Not that it bothers me, but several European courts have fined Google serious $$ for breaking privacy laws with this.

No, not for taking pics. But for recording data that was leaked from unsecured wifi-networks as they drove around.

I think you completely misunderstood that. They weren't interested in capturing actual data, they were interested in getting the network card ID from the WiFi access point. Securing it or not makes no difference, because securing it secures data, it does not secure the internal MAC address, which is unique and any network device has one.

That is useful for people who are connected to such a WiFi hub in a public places such as a coffee shop. It means you don't need a GPS in your device but you still know your location very accurately.

For example, I was complete stumped to learn that some maps-based service could tell me EXACTLY where I was, in some hotel in Pattaya.. even when my laptop does not have a GPS built in. But it was connected to the hotel WiFi, and Google picked that one up when driving past. ;)

Excellent!

• 6 months later...

Google Street View Thailand went live last week.

As a newbe I'm not permited to post links yet so copy, fix and paste this URL to see the beautiful Street View from cliff tops at the southern tip of Phuket.

accommodationnear - c o m /beach/naiharnbeachrawai-h t m