7 Days In Phuket

Rj 81

Hi Folks

My girlfriend and I are visiting Phuket around the first two weeks of December. Can anybody recommend the best beach resort / hotel to stay at?

We would like the idillic beach for strolling along in the evening watching the sun set, top notch restaurants for wining and dining ect.. You know the type of thing I mean. I just want to make it that little bit special.

Am not made of money, I've seen some hotels close to £500 a night. Am not talking that type of special, just special on the average man's scale.

I've heard there is a tourist area with girly bars and so on. I'd like to avoid these if possible. Or is that how it is mostly in Phuket?

Also thinking about going to Phi Phi whilst we are there, can anyone recommend good day trips ect.. I believe you can take a canoe tour of the islands, is this correct?

Any advice / tips / recommendations would be great.

Thanks

Rj

Hi Folks

My girlfriend and I are visiting Phuket around the first two weeks of December. Can anybody recommend the best beach resort / hotel to stay at?

We would like the idillic beach for strolling along in the evening watching the sun set, top notch restaurants for wining and dining ect.. You know the type of thing I mean. I just want to make it that little bit special.

Am not made of money, I've seen some hotels close to £500 a night. Am not talking that type of special, just special on the average man's scale.

I've heard there is a tourist area with girly bars and so on. I'd like to avoid these if possible. Or is that how it is mostly in Phuket?

Also thinking about going to Phi Phi whilst we are there, can anyone recommend good day trips ect.. I believe you can take a canoe tour of the islands, is this correct?

Any advice / tips / recommendations would be great.

Thanks

Rj

Patong is the sleazy area - avoid staying there but a night out is always interesting.

Rawai is quite idyllic and near the nice beaches. Rawai beach and Kata and very nice. There are lots of nice restaurants nearby as well as the fact there are still some trees and hills not developed over.

As for Phi Phi I went on Monday. It was nice but you should go and stay the night. Guesthouses are cheap and the place is pretty cool.

The $500+ a night hotels you mention do exist. Mostly Bang Tao beach (Laguna) but also a few others.

From what you say you should certainly avoid staying in Patong. This is the most popular tourist destination and also the main nightlife/girly bar area.

I don't know what price range you do have in mind but the Karon/Kata recommendation is a good one for you. Nai Harn is also a very nice beach although the accomodation options are limited. Kamala and Surin beaches are also worth considering.

...We would like the idillic beach for strolling along in the evening watching the sun set...

If you really want an idyllic beach for evening strolls and watching the sun set, you could instead go to Khao Lak - just 80 km north of Phuket. Don't know what the hotels and restaurants are like, but the beaches are superb.

khaolakdscn67299tc.jpg

Not a sun lounger in sight. :o

The $500+ a night hotels you mention do exist.  Mostly Bang Tao beach (Laguna) but also a few others.

From what you say you should certainly avoid staying in Patong.  This is the most popular tourist destination and also the main nightlife/girly bar area.

I don't know what price range you do have in mind but the Karon/Kata recommendation is a good one for you.  Nai Harn is also a very nice beach although the accomodation options are limited.  Kamala and Surin beaches are also worth considering.

Two pieces of advice :

1.  Come to Patong.

2.  Leave your girlfriend at home.      :D  :D  :D

Or hook her up with a Thai beach bum as soon as you arrive ! :D:D:D

:o I've done all that before, just after a chill out holiday now :D

Rj

Geez........this is starting to sound like a Canadian- Jesse thread :burp:

Maybe you could look at Koh Lanta..... that's a great combination of gorgeous beaches, local culture and national park without traffic but with good restaurants and chill bars!

www.kolanta.net

:D

Two pieces of advice :

1.  Come to Patong.

2.  Leave your girlfriend at home.      :D  :D  :D

Or hook her up with a Thai beach bum as soon as you arrive ! :D:D:D

:o I've done all that before, just after a chill out holiday now :D

Rj

Geez........this is starting to sound like a Canadian- Jesse thread :burp:

Maybe you could look at Koh Lanta..... that's a great combination of gorgeous beaches, local culture and national park without traffic but with good restaurants and chill bars!

www.kolanta.net

:D

Better to go here : www.kolanta.com !

• 1 month later...