Bank Account On Tourist Visa?

bankroll

Anyone know if I can I open a bank account on a tourist visa? just would be useful on some occasions.

Second question is what's the best way to avoid the fricking 150 baht charge every time I take money out using visa to a foreign bank account? in the past I used the Aeon Spot bank in Market Village which doesn't seem to charge this, but I'm not sure if the exchange rates are worse than other banks.

Thanks for the help....

I know it can be done at Bangkok Bank providing you have a letter of recommendations from an established bank in you home country; or if you know someone who has an account at that specific branch that will recommend you to the bank.

I used the latter method before moving here and before I married my wife. She recommended me and that worked fine for me.

I opened an account with Bank of Ayudhya in Hua Hin, just with a tourist visa, it was very quick and easy.

I then moved to Bangkok and went into a local branch and asked if I could transfer the account, the girl said I needed a work permit, explaining that I was retired so don't have or need a work permit coupled with the fact I already had an account met with a shrug, and you need a work permit. I thought I would call her bluff, and said I would withdraw my money and close the account, she didn't blink an eyelid but just paid me my cash. I then went across the road and opened an account with Kasikorn, just showing my passport. Have to say that I felt a little uneasy about walking out with close to 3m Baht, and would have felt a bit stupid if I had lost all of my money just to prove a point.

I opened my account in Ayudhya Bank four years ago using just my passport.

I was asked to provide an address for the mailing and we used the one of the apt we rentals.

Easy and fast...

Rules here are very different, if for example you have to move money from here to bangkok you have to pay a fee bcz different province... best way remain internet banking.

:jap:

Any bank that makes it difficult or inconvenient for you to put YOUR money in their hands to play with and turn a profit does not deserve your money.

How ludicrous for Bangkok Bank to require a recommendation from anyone in order for them to accept YOUR money and use it to play the money market and profit from.

Sounds like Bank of Ayudhya is the place to put your money.

They've been around a long time.

Siam Commercial Bank also has a LOT of very weird rules and regulations.

The branch where I opened my account has always been wonderful but now I live quite far away.

Dealing with all other SCB branches has always been less than ideal.

As a result, I always withdraw all incoming funds ASAP (except for Baht 50 or whatever odd amount remains) and then take it the very friendly but much smaller bank at the end of my street which does everything I need and more.

Vote with your feet and your money.

Don't let banks abuse you.

I opened an account with Bank of Ayudhya in Hua Hin, just with a tourist visa, it was very quick and easy.

I then moved to Bangkok and went into a local branch and asked if I could transfer the account, the girl said I needed a work permit, explaining that I was retired so don't have or need a work permit coupled with the fact I already had an account met with a shrug, and you need a work permit. I thought I would call her bluff, and said I would withdraw my money and close the account, she didn't blink an eyelid but just paid me my cash. I then went across the road and opened an account with Kasikorn, just showing my passport. Have to say that I felt a little uneasy about walking out with close to 3m Baht, and would have felt a bit stupid if I had lost all of my money just to prove a point.

The correct way to play this game

1. First go across the road ask Kasikorn to open an account and help you move your money.

2. Kasikorn send a person in uniform across to your old bank to carry your money.

3. Original Girl loses her job when manager sees rival uniform in bank walking away with 3M (at the very least much 'face' is lost).

Edited by ludditeman