Rugby World Cup

luther

As much as it pains me to say it I think the shufflers oops I mean Aussies will take it this year.

I don't mind that, just as long as we retain The Ashes, which is really the thorn in an Aussie's side! biggrin.gif

To be fair, even if they win the cricket, they still never get the "ashes" lol.

They only win an empty cup, the real ones stay put.

Back on topic though, can't wait for it to get started in a few hours.

partytime2.gif

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As much as it pains me to say it I think the shufflers oops I mean Aussies will take it this year.

I don't mind that, just as long as we retain The Ashes, which is really the thorn in an Aussie's side! biggrin.gif

partytime2.gif

Aren't World Cups exciting!

Seems people who never watch sports, get involved in the WC, I guess it's a nationalistic thing.

I like you're quote about The Ashes trophy, which has never left Lords. That little replica the Aussies parade around on a bus, was made by some guy using matchsticks. laugh.gif

partytime2.gif

Seems people who never watch sports, get involved in the WC, I guess it's a nationalistic thing.

I like you're quote about The Ashes trophy, which has never left Lords. That little replica the Aussies parade around on a bus, was made by some guy using matchsticks. laugh.gif

When/if they win anything, they are still HMP Australia so every thing belongs to England anyway :D

Edited by thaimiller

partytime2.gif

When/if they win anything, they are still HMP Australia so every thing belongs to England anyway :D

Yep, there's never been a true aussie who's won an international sports event, oh except for Evonne Goolagong :D

Edited by alfieconn

Scotland, France, England all big disappointments today - puts their warm-up games into perspective.

See how Wales does tomorrow v SA, and Ireland v Oz next weekend.

Wales will need to pick up their game to avoid a hiding based on the other Euro teams' performances.

Sunday 11 Sept (Thai times)

10.30am Australia v Italy Auckland

1.00pm Ireland v USA New Plymouth

3.30pm South Africa v Wales Wellington

Edited by Atmos

Scotland, France, England all big disappointments today - puts their warm-up games into perspective.

Wales will need to pick up their game to avoid a hiding based on the other Euro teams' performances.

I'd back Italy against the Aussies if it was a style contest. biggrin.gif

Looking forward to seeing how the Springboks play - they are the dark horses IMO and they have been together for some time.

You can never write of Wales though........ that Barry John, Gareth Edwards and JPR are some players. huh.gif

I'd back Italy against the Aussies if it was a style contest. biggrin.gif

Looking forward to seeing how the Springboks play - they are the dark horses IMO and they have been together for some time.

You can never write of Wales though........ that Barry John, Gareth Edwards and JPR are some players. huh.gif

General concesus seems to be that SA are just too old - but so was England back in 2003 (with a few youngsters like a certain Jonny)! I agree, we can't write them off.

Well, England got off lucky in their opening match.

It was probably the toughest game of their group though to be fair and they always struggle against Argentina.

Looking forward to SA v Wales though, should be a good match.

Never been the same since Ratin got sent off in 66........oops wrong game. huh.gif

Yeah, I know there's something about Argentina that makes us lose focus.........wonder what it could be? wink.gif

South Africa v Wales is an intriguing fixture, looking forward to it too.

England won ugly that's for sure.

I enjoyed the France v Japan game. Japan played very well for a large part of the game. I love it when the minnows raise their game and refuse to be walked all over.

Some great games today as well

Australia v Italy - Australia to show they are genuine contenders

Ireland v USA - Ireland to scrape a tough win

South Africa v Wales - Wales to spring a surprise

Enjoy

and before their match with Ireland later today:

US World Cup team commemorate 9/11 in New Plymouth

12:13 PM Sunday Sep 11, 2011

Players from the American Eagles rugby team joined nearly 1,000 others Sunday morning at a memorial service in the town of New Plymouth, New Zealand.

The team is in the country to play in the Rugby World Cup tournament. U.S. ambassador David Huebner also attended the service at St. Andrews church.

more

Can someone tell me where the above mentioned bars are located ?

The Olde Bell is located on Loi Kroh Rd: the main road that runs from the moat to the Night Bazaar. It is next door to the Raming Lodge Hotel and behind the yellow exchange booth. The atmosphere yesterday was amazing: 60 rugby fans all enjoying the games- a bit quiet during the England game -you could cut the tension with a knife!! I don't expect quite so many today, which might be a good thing as we struggled to cope yesterday. Anyway there will be some good games and everyone is welcome!

This world cup always had the potential to be a great world cup - especially for us in Thailand, the timings are so much more agreeable than in many recent world cups. The games yesterday showed there has been a levelling off in world rugby -even the so called minnows peformed well.

P1050571.JPG

Halftime in the Ireland-Taranaki game, my once hometown of New Plymouth; disappointing weather - here's how it looks on a good day, with Mt Taranaki (2518m) in the background (it's not really that close, a trick of the camera!)

Two more matches to play in New Plymouth, maybe one will be fine weather - the battle of the super-powers Russia v USA on Thursday 15th, and Wales v Namibia Monday 26th

P1050571.JPG

Halftime in the Ireland-Taranaki game, my once hometown of New Plymouth; disappointing weather - here's how it looks on a good day, with Mt Taranaki (2518m) in the background (it's not really that close, a trick of the camera!)

Two more matches to play in New Plymouth, maybe one will be fine weather - the battle of the super-powers Russia v USA on Thursday 15th, and Wales v Namibia Monday 26th

Stunning background. The stadium as it is looks in your picture, looks like the stadiums in Australia when England last played there for The Ashes..........the Aussies all went on holiday. biggrin.gif

OK back to the rugby on the sofa.

Edited by uptheos

and before their match with Ireland later today:

US World Cup team commemorate 9/11 in New Plymouth

12:13 PM Sunday Sep 11, 2011

Players from the American Eagles rugby team joined nearly 1,000 others Sunday morning at a memorial service in the town of New Plymouth, New Zealand.

The team is in the country to play in the Rugby World Cup tournament. U.S. ambassador David Huebner also attended the service at St. Andrews church.

more

Memory of a thrashing before and after the game then?

^ tasteless, pointless, can you just f off to another thread, please.

next matches - Wednesday Sept 14

9.30am Samoa v Namibia, Rotorua

12.00 Tonga v Canada, Whangarei

2.30pm Scotland v Georgia, Invercargill