Rugby World Cup

luther

^ tasteless, pointless, can you just f off to another thread, please.

You brought it up in a thread about sport, yes it was a terrible thing but there was no need to mention it and bring the happiness of the all thread down. Its suppose to be a celebration of a world cup rugby not dragging up old news.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^ tasteless, pointless, can you just f off to another thread, please.

next matches - Wednesday Sept 14

9.30am Samoa v Namibia, Rotorua

12.00 Tonga v Canada, Whangarei

2.30pm Scotland v Georgia, Invercargill

As mentioned, you entered it into a thread which is about celebration not mourning!

It's in the news in some way shape or form almost on a daily basis, do we really need it in this thread?

I think not!

Hi

I had no intention or desire to 'bring down the happiness of the thread'

As I have mentioned (probably too mnay times!) the game was on of three being hosted in my hometown, maybe I am allowed a little pride in that, and the church service was part of that, 1000 people turning out in remembrance and support of the Eagles rugby team who they have 'adopted' as they are basing themselves in New Plymouth at Tukapa Rugby Club (yes I've mentioned that a few times too, my old club); I had less interest in the teams/match than i did in seeing the old town on tv, not aglimpse of the mountain though, I left there in 1999 - a bit of nostalgia, and have family members arriving there in 2 weeks - they'll see the Wales Namibia match the day they arrive.

I still think saying : Memory of a thrashing before and after the game then?

was pointless and confrontational, what an 'off' thing to say when we are trying to have a 'happy thread', aren't we?

Edited by Atmos

back to rugby - I didn't hear the commentators mention this during the Wales-SA match.

seems odd - if the assistant referees (can't call them touch judges any more) said no, and were 'well sighted' . . . anyway, history now they cannot go back for a recount.

I had NZ commentary, did other commentators mention this?

Referee blunder costs Wales as Boks win late

Fullback James Hook kicked three penalties and a conversion for Wales but debate swirled regarding a goal he was not awarded. His penalty attempt in the 14th minute, after a high tackle by J.P. Pietersen on Matt Phillips, appeared to pass between the uprights but was flagged away by the linesmen.

Hook's appeal for a review by the television match official was declined and the ruling assumed critical importance in a match decided by a single point.

South Africa had taken an early lead with a try to fullback Frans Steyn after only three minutes, converted from wide out by flyhalf Morne Steyn. Hook cut the lead to 7-3 with his first penalty after nine minutes and it was his second five minutes later which was surprisingly flagged away by assistant referees George Clancy of Ireland and Vinny Munro of New Zealand.

The kick, from about 38 meters to the left of the posts, appeared to curl inside the right-hand upright but the touch judges, who were well sighted quickly ruled it had missed.

_55292770_wales_glum_get.jpg

Rhys Priestland is devastated after Wales' defeat by South Africa

I've read a few reports including Wales online. No-one (that I've read) is making a big deal out of it and seem to just accept that it missed..........that doesn't mean I'm saying it did miss.

What a tight game!

Hook to his credit took it on the chin "I felt it went over," said Hook, who missed a difficult late penalty chance in a swirling wind at Wellington Regional Stadium as South Africa held on to win a pulsating Pool D encounter 17-16."But it is not something I am going to debate or dwell on. It is one of those things".

Read More http://www.walesonli.../#ixzz1Xf2ntBzc

Edited by uptheos

^ the totally scientific and un-biased (!!!!) poll on Planet Rugby has this to say

Over! Shocker by the ref - 810

Impossible to tell from the sidelines - 518

Wide! God call by the ref - 249

one to talk about for the fans: "I thought it was interesting at halftime when we went in the tunnel and as coaches we were saying we thought the kick went over and Francois Steyn walked past us and I said 'yeah I thought it went over as well'," Gatland said.(source)

Pool D was always the one with the most interest/risk . . . the two Samoa games v Wales and SA will i hope be good ones to watch, Fij too though I don't think they pose such a threat.

On Thursday it's Russia v USA in New Plymouth, months back there were suggestions Vladimir Putin was coming out to that one, but think it'll be much lower-level embassy support as the super-powers battle it out. Thought USA looked good at times v Ireland, didn't 'fold' as they might have in previous years.

News item on the Russian team here Kiwi coach shows Russian players tough love

Their backs coach, Henry Paul has had an interesting career, NZ-born and played rugby league for NZ 1993-2001, then test rugby for England 2002-05, now on the Russian coaching team.

Edited by Atmos

Some great action yesterday.

Australia looked very competent and dealt very well with Italy, surely they are second favourites.

Very impressed by the USA real commitment and great tackling but Ireland were always going to have too much for them. O'Connell was magnificent

SA v Wales game of the day and hugely enjoyable. Wales' high tempo game is great to watch. They didn't spring the surprise I predicted but came close. I have to admit I didn't pick up on the 'good' kick.

Great start to the tournament and loads more rugby to come :)

WELLINGTON, Sept 12 (Reuters) - Rugby World Cup organisers have backed the match officials who disallowed a seemingly on-target penalty by James Hook in the South Africa v Wales match on Sunday, despite their failure to consult with the TV referee.

http://af.reuters.co...E7KC01L20110912

Edited by uptheos

WELLINGTON, Sept 12 (Reuters) - Rugby World Cup organisers have backed the match officials who disallowed a seemingly on-target penalty by James Hook in the South Africa v Wales match on Sunday, despite their failure to consult with the TV referee.

Does not matter If the Kick went over or not we lost the game, we now need to bounce back for the next game. A game is not won or lost by one kick in the 14th minute of the game, the game is 80 minutes +..... cymru yn dal eich pennau uchel

Edited by wales01

Does not matter If the Kick went over or not we lost the game, we now need to bounce back for the next game. A game is not won or lost by one kick in the 14th minute of the game, the game is 80 minutes +..... cymru yn dal eich pennau uchel

"888" or Google Translate = Wales hold your heads high

Please provide correct translation if this is incorrect. The old page 888 on teletext isn't what it used to be lol

Courtney Lawes suspended for two weeks

Lawes misses matches against Romania and Georgia

England will be without Courtney Lawes for their next two Rugby World Cup games after the Northampton lock was found guilty of kneeing Argentina's Mario Ledesma during last Saturday's Pool B victory. Lawes received a two-week suspension at a hearing in Auckland and will miss his country's upcoming matches against Georgia and Romania.

Given there was a theoretical possibility of Lawes sitting out a much bigger chunk of the tournament, the England management will not be overly disappointed. The official entry point for lower-end offences is three weeks but the player's excellent previous disciplinary record and remorse were among the mitigating factors.

Lawes will now be available for his side's final Pool B match against Scotland on 1 October. more

at least he received a penalty, half-expected him to 'walk' on this one.

Often think this talk of the 'team enforcer' is silly, not much a player can get away with, so many eyes, tv replays etc, cheap shots not what I want to see at RWC, or any time.

Edited by Atmos

But kick straighter next time. wink.gif

Correct in your translation well direct translation. What it means is 'Wales lift your head to the heavens'. If anyone here remebers Max Boyce, there is one song which describes a game against England (I think it was England) when Wales kicked a penalty it was also going wide and the wind came up and blew the ball between the posts, obviously the wind is not strong enough in New Zealand. :(

Edited by wales01

Correct in your translation well direct translation. What it means is 'Wales lift your head to the heavens'. If anyone here remebers Max Boyce, there is one song which describes a game against England (I think it was England) when Wales kicked a penalty it was also going wide and the wind came up and blew the ball between the posts, obviously the wind is not strong enough in New Zealand. :(

Fair play!

Just noticed your Merthyr council badge.

I worked there for a short while quite a few years back when T-Mobile opened their call centre there.

does it still rain horizontally there? lol ..... never seen anything like it since laugh.gif

one more re Courtney Lawes 'The Enforcer'

Lawes, speaking before the Argentina match, had emphasised the need to match the physicality of the Pumas.

"I don't mind a scuffle every now and then. I just do it because I can and it gets under their skin," said Lawes source

Possible problem with talk and action like this, is refs are more aware of him, don't want a reputation like eg Bakkies Botha has gained.

on with the games!

Three matches tomorrow, Samoa, Canada and Georgia's first of the tournament

9.30am Samoa v Namibia

12 noon Tonga v Canada

2.30pm Scotland v Georgia

Good result for Samoa. Never realised that Namibia were an amateur side though. They've show true heart and courage so far, I'd take my hat off to them if I wore one.

Wales v Samoa is looking like it's going to be a superb match after seeing the opening games from both sides.

Samoa - commentator noted Tuilagi had cut down from 126 to 119kg - wouldn't want him running at (over!) me

watching these matches is a good reminder why I never gamble; while I'd have gone Samoa by 10+ (S 49 b Namibia 12), I would not have picked Canada to win (C 25 b Tonga 20), and I've have backed Scotland to win by 15+ (S 15 b 6 Georgia)

I really thought Scotland would perform today, only saw last 30min; not as if some wind and rain should have affected either side, nothing new for them!

Georgia played well and their match v Romania will be a close one. Scotland didn't improve on their game v Romania, clueless at times, and hard to see them threatening Argentina (25 Sept) or England (1 Oct) for a top 2 pool placing.

And the battle of the super-powers: I'll go USA by 15 v Russia tomorrow 2.30pm, but wouldn't bet on it.

But on a fine day, maybe a glimpse of Mt Taranaki in the background (see avatar)

Russia's Deputy Prime Minister Alexander Zhukov has arrived in New Plymouth for the historic Russia USA Rugby World Cup game at Stadium Taranaki tomorrow night. New Zealand Prime Minister John Key is reported to be hosting Mr Zhukov at the match tomorrow which will also be attended by Russian billionaire and vodka magnate, Roustam Tariko and current Miss Russia, Natalia Gantimurova. source

* Natalia Gantimurova, 1.81m 5'11 1/2", 55kg.

Edited by Atmos

Samoa - commentator noted Tuilagi had cut down from 126 to 119kg - wouldn't want him running at (over!) me

watching these matches is a good reminder why I never gamble; while I'd have gone Samoa by 10+ (S 49 b Namibia 12), I would not have picked Canada to win (C 25 b Tonga 20), and I've have backed Scotland to win by 15+ (S 15 b 6 Georgia)

I really thought Scotland would perform today, only saw last 30min; not as if some wind and rain should have affected either side, nothing new for them!

Georgia played well and their match v Romania will be a close one. Scotland didn't improve on their game v Romania, clueless at times, and hard to see them threatening Argentina (25 Sept) or England (1 Oct) for a top 2 pool placing.

And the battle of the super-powers: I'll go USA by 15 v Russia tomorrow 2.30pm, but wouldn't bet on it.

But on a fine day, maybe a glimpse of Mt Taranaki in the background (see avatar)

Russia's Deputy Prime Minister Alexander Zhukov has arrived in New Plymouth for the historic Russia USA Rugby World Cup game at Stadium Taranaki tomorrow night. New Zealand Prime Minister John Key is reported to be hosting Mr Zhukov at the match tomorrow which will also be attended by Russian billionaire and vodka magnate, Roustam Tariko and current Miss Russia, Natalia Gantimurova. source

* Natalia Gantimurova, 1.81m 5'11 1/2", 55kg.

Will be very impressive if that have that as a backdrop to the game.

Have to agree with being surprised at how well Canada played, was an enjoyable game.

Was impressed with Samoa but then after finding out how inexperienced Namibia are as a team it kind of took the edge off it a little.

Missed the first half of the Scotland game and from what I saw of the second half I'm not really bothered lol.

Glad you mentioned the game tomorrow as I didn't realize there was one, thanks for that.

Fair play!

Just noticed your Merthyr council badge.

I worked there for a short while quite a few years back when T-Mobile opened their call centre there.

does it still rain horizontally there? lol ..... never seen anything like it since laugh.gif

Yes it still does all day everyday. Now Living in CM and the same rain :annoyed: