Hardwood Names In Thai

jayenram

A mate of mine wishes to buy some timber furniture to take back to Canada. However, we cannot interpret the type of wood. Anyone know what "mai (wood) mahkahh" and "mai pratdoo" are? He needs to know (obviously) if it can be imported into Canada.

Any help would be appreciated.

Makah/ไม้มะค่า

Scientific Name

Afzelia xylocarpa (Kurz) Craib

Other Scientific Names

Pahudia xylocarpa Kurz

Pahudia cochinchinensis Pierre

Afzelia siamica Craib

Afzelia cochinchinensis

Thailand

makhaa-mong

makhaa-yai

makhaa-laung

makhaa-hau-kham

Pradoo/ไม้ประดู่

Scientific Name

Plerocarpus Indicus

Common Names

Padauk

other name

Burmese Rosewood,Burma Padauk

Edited by BambinA

mai makkaa , is , i think , wood from the euphorbiaceae species of tree

mai pratuu , is Pterocarpus indicus one of the best known trees in southeast Asia. It is known as narra in the Philippines, sonokembang in Indonesia, angsana or sena in Malaysia and Singapore, and pradoo in Thailand. In the Philippines, it is the national tree and the favorite timber for the manufacture of fine furniture (Duaresma et al. 1977). In Singapore, it is practically the symbol of that country's garden city planting program; many avenues are graced by this attractive species. In Malaysia, it has been planted as a shade tree for at least 200 years.Pterocwpus indicus is one of the best known trees in southeast Asia. It is known as narra in the Philippines, sonokembang in Indonesia, angsana or sena in Malaysia and Singapore, and pradoo in Thailand. In the Philippines, it is the national tree and the favorite timber for the manufacture of fine furniture (Duaresma et al. 1977). In Singapore, it is practically the symbol of that country's garden city planting program; many avenues are graced by this attractive species. In Malaysia, it has been planted as a shade tree for at least 200 years.

A mate of mine wishes to buy some timber furniture to take back to Canada. However, we cannot interpret the type of wood. Anyone know what "mai (wood) mahkahh" and "mai pratdoo" are? He needs to know (obviously) if it can be imported into Canada.

Any help would be appreciated.

Auntie Dah opinion:

mai sak: best wood, light, good for furniture (teak) (most expensive, half inch, 8 inch wide, one meter long from 90 to 150 baht)

mai pradoo, mai teng, mai daeng: very good thai hardwood, nice for building

mai takaen: ok for walls, same size as teak above about 45 baht

mai makaa: famous, but heavy, hard to paint, I don't like so much

Any one know what Mai Makaa Moo is. I've got that as the flooring in the house. Very hard and heavy, yove got to drill it before nailing it, but it is really old so has probably hardened over the years.

IMO Mango is really nice for furniture, had a big mango tree that got blown over in the storms this year and had two big tables made from the wood, very nice.

• 6 years later...

to answer the question about "Mai Makhaa": It is Monkey Pod Tree wood. They grow in Thailand also and I'm not aware of any shipping regulations for this type. That mostly concerns teak wood only.