Unable To Make A Visa Run

If someone is on a 1 year multiple entry O visa but are unable to make a visa run for medical reasons will the Immigration boys give an extension? If so what documentation is required? Will a letter from the hospital suffice?

Many thanks

Immigration form 7

Copy of passport

A 4 cm. X 6 cm. photograph

In case of illness

A certified document or letter from the hospital indicating a doctor’s diagnosis in the following details:

what caused the illness?

Does the illness inhibit in long traveling? How?

Does the applicant need medical treatment?

How long must the applicant stop travelling? Date: ______ to _____

www.lawyer.th.com

If you are that ill the hospital should be taking care of getting you an extension of stay. Most western hospitals know the procedure and I would advise having them do it. If not, get what you can and make your case. Extensions are available for hospital stays but you may be in a grey area if you have to do yourself. If extension is short probably not be a problem.

Great, thanks guys. Thankfully I am hale and hearty but this is for someone else. I had never heard that it was common proceedure for the hospital to arrange the visa - is this only the case if the patient is actually in hospital at the time rather than being unable to travel but living at home?

Still, it's at the whim of the Immigration Police Officer. I got crappy, cruddy luck and had a choice of paying 1,900 extension (for three days) or 600 baht for overstay. None of the officers gave a flying <deleted> that I had visible injuries, a letter from a Thai doctor in Thai, etc. Good luck for your friend.

Great, thanks guys. Thankfully I am hale and hearty but this is for someone else. I had never heard that it was common procedure for the hospital to arrange the visa - is this only the case if the patient is actually in hospital at the time rather than being unable to travel but living at home?

They should at the minimum be providing the documents and it needs to be done before expiration of permitted stay. Sunbelt gave a good exemple of what is required (but forgot the 1,900 baht for the Tm.7). I believe some do the process for inpatients but probably not for OPD. Most hospitals treating foreigners now also have expats on payroll to advise and take care of these kinds of situations as a push is being made to make Bangkok a medical treatment destination.