Bank Account With Tourist Visa ?

Hello friends

My friend and me want to come to Thailand with Tourist visa and need to open a bank account too !

and I have these questions now:

1-Can I open a saving bank account with a debit cart connected to it + Internet banking with a tourist visa ? (if yes , are you sure ?)

If yes...

1- The first and one time cost for opening account is not important...

But are there any bank that has no any hidden or annually fee for saving account, internet banking and debit cart.

2-Which bank is the best according the top words.

Regards

Have a look at the pinned thread at the top of this forum

You'll notice that the requirements vary from bank to bank, from branch to branch and from clerk to clerk (even the same clerk on different days).

The rule seems to be "if at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again".

Good luck.

Kasikorn are usually the only bank that will let you open an account on a 30 days entry stamp although this may vary from branch to branch. (my mate had success at Royal Garden Plaza in Pattaya)

All other banks will ask for a work permit even though it is not a requiremwet to open a bank account and may not even be the bank policy.

Edit: I see you said tourist visa, the above still applies.

Edited by PattayaParent

Kasikorn are reported as one of the most farang friendly Banks, as someone has already mentioned I know guys who have opened with them on a 30day visa exempt.

They also have good Internet Banking.

But as already advised .. it is a case of keep trying until you find one who says yes

I note the comment from an earlier poster stating that K.Bank are generally the only bank to open an account without a work permit. As an employee of BBL I can state that that comment has absolutely little merit going by the number of accounts we open with tourist Visa's on a daily basis. Yes I am sure some one has been to a branch and been declined, but as we have stated on this forum a number of times, a work Permit is not required. other documents can take the place of the work Permit

I refer you to the website link outlining requirements.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok%20Bank/Personal%20Banking/Foreign%20Customers/Pages/Opening%20an%20account%20new.aspx

I note the comment from an earlier poster stating that K.Bank are generally the only bank to open an account without a work permit. As an employee of BBL I can state that that comment has absolutely little merit going by the number of accounts we open with tourist Visa's on a daily basis. Yes I am sure some one has been to a branch and been declined, but as we have stated on this forum a number of times, a work Permit is not required. other documents can take the place of the work Permit

http://www.bangkokba...ount%20new.aspx

And your statement has little merit as long as your branches keep telling numerous farangs that they need a work permit to open an account.

And to be fair, it's not just your bank, they all do it.

And your statement has little merit as long as your branches keep telling numerous farangs that they need a work permit to open an account.

Agree 100% with PattayaParent.

Happened just today with me and a Thai Bank (where we (Me and My Wife) already have Accounts) I got plainly refused to open another account (In that account, I just wanted to keep the 400.000 Baht for the Marriage Extension), because I don't have a Work Permit. I am seriously thinking of moving mine and my wife's account to another Thai Bank where it isn't a problem to open a extra account in a Foreigners name. (And take note I'm already a customer at that particular Bank for several years)

Edit 17:00 (Removed Name of Bank)

Edited by MJCM

All other banks will ask for a work permit ...............

It would be more accurate to say that most (all?) other banks will ask for a long visa.

I opened an account with TMB in Central Festival without the slightest trouble but they did specify that I had to have more than just a short tourist visa.

I have no work permit at all, of course, as I dont work.

All other banks will ask for a work permit ...............

It would be more accurate to say that most (all?) other banks will ask for a long visa.

I opened an account with TMB in Central Festival without the slightest trouble but they did specify that I had to have more than just a short tourist visa.

I have no work permit at all, of course, as I dont work.

Darrel,

the only remark I have is, in my case, the Manager of the Bank I went to didn't even want to see my Visa (even though I offered him my Passport), he plainly refused me "If you don't have a Work permit, You can't open an Account".

(I have a valid Non-O (Marriage Extension (Done at Jomtien/Chonburi Immigration)) and I also don't work.

Since 1995 I've opened bank accounts at SCB, closed it and reopened years later. Thai Farmers Bank closed it, reopened another when it was Kasikorn,and TMB.

Total of opening 5 bank accounts over 15 years, never been asked for a WP,even when I offered it they said not necessary.

Prove anything? NO

Can you get one on a tourist visa? Try it and find out.

Thai banks are somewhat like an embassy, they always seem to want the piece of paper you didn't bring along.

Thank God for internet banking, it keeps my face to face dealing with them to a minimum, very rarely do I go into a bank and not come out pissed off at them.

Since 1995 I've opened bank accounts at SCB, closed it and reopened years later. Thai Farmers Bank closed it, reopened another when it was Kasikorn,and TMB.

Total of opening 5 bank accounts over 15 years, never been asked for a WP,even when I offered it they said not necessary.

Prove anything? NO

Can you get one on a tourist visa? Try it and find out.

Thai banks are somewhat like an embassy, they always seem to want the piece of paper you didn't bring along.

Thank God for internet banking, it keeps my face to face dealing with them to a minimum, very rarely do I go into a bank and not come out pissed off at them.

Well said and understood sir!

Yes you can do it with a 30-day tourist visa.(SCB)I did my first Savings Acct. there three years ago.I have since opened two other acct. @ K-bank & Bangkok Bank,the latter does "Direct deposit from the States for both Govt.Private companies.I was not married on the first acct.I have since married and opened the others.The posts our mostly very correct about each bank giving you different answers.I do suggest that you go to the "Silom main Branch of Bangkok Bank"!Bangkok Bank does international business with many farangs and their home country banking institutions.The Customer service people @ Bangkok Bank speak very good English,and that is your biggest problem in dealing with with "Thai Banks" in general.If you choose any bank in Thailand,go to the downtown main branch.The smaller branches our a "Crap Shoot",and nobody wants to get in trouble by giving out wrong information or giving you help.This is not "Kansas Alice",so forget about trying to get the best fees,online banking(they charge for it) ,if they decide to open a account for you.You will hear "Mai Dai" alot,but any branch of any bank in Thailand can pretty much do whatever they choose when dealing with farangs,so keep trying!Chok dee!

post-138355-0-07469600-1315320520_thumb.

I'm sure there are branches that do accept, but the experience of most posters here suggest that BB among others require additional information before opening accounts whereas Kasikorn do not.

I have both Kasikorn and Bangkok Bank Accounts. Kasikorn 2 accounts opened on production of passport. 

With BB I had to show passport, visa and yellow book as proof of residence as well as the wifes house book before I was accepted..

Edited by Tafia

Ive lost count with the amount of accounts ive opened and closed with Siam Commercial. Bond Account's. Saving's accounts with high interest. Ive no work permit, stay long term on tourist visa's.

I used to have an account with Kasikorn and asked if it was possible to see the manager with regard to obtaining a mortgage under my wife's name. Wasn't even allowed through his door. Closed my account as fast as possible to which they said it would take 2 weeks to make out a cheque for the 1.2 million I had in the account.

Decided not to wait the 2 weeks and cashed out the 1.2 million. Proceeded to then run across town with the cash to the Siam Commercial who I am glad to say will provide a cashiers cheque in 5 minutes.

Got a couple ...but First bank a/c I opened was with B Krungthep almost 20 years (Suk Rd -Opposite the Ambassador Hotel)ago and have never had a work permit...all very polite,easy and straightforward and never had any problems with them (unlike some outfits here in UK)....address given was Honey H.... :D

On one occasion I tried to open another out in the boonies of Bangna but was politely refused.When pushed the very nice manageress apologised saying that she had no Angrit speakers in her branch and didnt want any embarrassing situations ..lose of face in future..and kept it basically for Thai customers only....MPR :)...I had no problem with that ...still pop in and say hello.... :o

I have a work permit and they still will not open an account for me.. they said I have to have money...! strange...!

I have a work permit and they still will not open an account for me.. they said I have to have money...! strange...!

Despite considerable training we, like many organisations, will always be reliant on the staff member the customer comes in contact with. Farang or Thai.

In an effort to build on the customer image of Bangkok Bank service by Expatriate members of the forum, i am happy to take PM's to resolve issues should a member be having particular difficulty