Uk Child Benefit

Depends who you want to claim for. You can claim for your own natural or adopted children if they live with you and are under 16 years of age (under 20 if still at school). British citizenship not required, only residence in the UK. However, you may need an official translation of a Thai birth certificate to claim.

Depends who you want to claim for. You can claim for your own natural or adopted children if they live with you and are under 16 years of age (under 20 if still at school). British citizenship not required, only residence in the UK. However, you may need an official translation of a Thai birth certificate to claim.

thank you for the reply may be a stupid question but where would i get an official translation of the birth certificate from. Once again thanks for the reply

If your wife has a visa endorsed 'no recourse to public funds' then she cannot claim child benefit; but you can. This includes claiming for her children, i.e. your step-children, if they are living with you.

You can have the birth certificate translated at any translation office. The translator needs to certify that the translation is correct and include their name, address and phone number.

If your wife has a visa endorsed 'no recourse to public funds' then she cannot claim child benefit; but you can. This includes claiming for her children, i.e. your step-children, if they are living with you.

You can have the birth certificate translated at any translation office. The translator needs to certify that the translation is correct and include their name, address and phone number.

Thank you for the reply I had to have my child birth certificate translated to get his uk passport here in THAILAND can i use this translation in the UK to claim child benefit?

Not true.

If a person subject to immigration control lives with a family member who is a British citizen or a national of a country in the EEA they can claim certain public funds if they have the right to reside in the UK.

This includes Child Benefit and does not need to be declared as being in receipt of public funds when applying for e.g. ILR.

Can you provide a link to this, please, Bangkockney?

The information I have given is what I was told by the child benefit people when my wife and stepdaughter moved to the UK. Did they get it wrong or have the rules changed?

Can you provide a link to this, please, Bangkockney?

The information I have given is what I was told by the child benefit people when my wife and stepdaughter moved to the UK. Did they get it wrong or have the rules changed?

Sure.

1. Guidance – public funds – v 5.0 p. 17 (exception due to nationality of a family member)

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/policyandlaw/modernised/cross-cut/public-funds/funds.pdf?view=Binary

2. General reasons for refusing Section 4 – v8.0 p. 15 (worked example involving CB claim)

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/policyandlaw/modernised/general-grounds-refusing/leave-to-remain.pdf?view=Binary

When I applied for Child Benefit for my daughter I was told there was no requirement to have the birth certificate translated. They needed to see the original certificate and the passport. That was it.

I also understood that the person on TLR could not receive Child Benefit or Child Tax Credits but the UK resident partner could without breaking the terms of the TLR.

When I applied for Child Benefit for my daughter I was told there was no requirement to have the birth certificate translated. They needed to see the original certificate and the passport. That was it.

I also understood that the person on TLR could not receive Child Benefit or Child Tax Credits but the UK resident partner could without breaking the terms of the TLR.

can i send just a copy of the data page of his passport? do not really want to send the whole passport in case it gets lost.

Thank you

The Passport is required id order to show the date of entry into the UK. Child Benifit is only paid for a child living in the UK. I claimed CB for my Stepdaughter From the day she landed in the Uk.

The claim has to be made in both your wifes name and yours.

I rang them and told them that my wife was subject to Imigration controls and was not entiteld to public funds. I was told it was OK to claim CB. But the claim had to be made in joint names.

The Translation of the birth certificate was NOT required The original one in Thai was OK.

That was two years ago The posts do have a habit of moving.

my wife and stepdaughter have just applied for ILR. I do hope the info I was given at the time was correct. Application for ILR sent and recived by the Border Agency on 12 July no word yet so fingers crossed.

I would be pleased if someone could put my mind at ease

thank you for the reply may be a stupid question but where would i get an official translation of the birth certificate from. Once again thanks for the reply

At a translation office. You'll find plenty around, but look near to the British embassy.

The Passport is required id order to show the date of entry into the UK. Child Benifit is only paid for a child living in the UK. I claimed CB for my Stepdaughter From the day she landed in the Uk.

I rang them and told them that my wife was subject to Imigration controls and was not entiteld to public funds. I was told it was OK to claim CB. But the claim had to be made in joint names.

The Translation of the birth certificate was NOT required The original one in Thai was OK.

my wife and stepdaughter have just applied for ILR. I do hope the info I was given at the time was correct. Application for ILR sent and recived by the Border Agency on 12 July no word yet so fingers crossed.

Everbody worries about this because the DWP and UKBA don't appear to read of the same hymm sheet.

However i know many people who have been in the same situation me included and the application/s are always successful.

CB is claimed by either parent not both, but can be mandated to a joint account of course.

can i send just a copy of the data page of his passport? do not really want to send the whole passport in case it gets lost.

Thank you

We sent the original birth certificate and passport. No translation required. Best sent by recorded delivery so nobody can claim it was not received!

All documents were returned within a few days by ordinary post.

I would suggest you keep a copy of the paperwork in case anyone loses the originals.

Once the originals have been checked they have this noted so do not require them to be sent again if there are changes required.

Edited by bobrussell

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick question someone said they want to see a UK passport to show when he entered the UK, But they do not stamp you in or out of the UK so there will not be any stamp to show when he entered. Also I do not mind sending the original Birth Certificate but I do not want to send the original passport due to having had my passport lost in the post 2 times before. SO does anyone know if they will accept a photocopy of the data page.

Thank you