Tata

Just sold my truck and looking at new trucks

I need a basic work truck to haul things. I have a car and motorbikes so it is just a work truck

I care about price to purchase as well as being economical (km/l)) because I do a lot of Cm - BKK or Pattaya driving with it

Have been looking at the Tata Super Ace also called city Ace wtih it'd diesel engine, almost 9 foot bed and 1 ton rating while getting a claimed 17 km/l

I have also looked at the Mitsubishi at 421,000. Smaller bed and they claim 12.4 km/l

Does anyone have any of these or any ideas ?

Does anyone else just make a plain low cost work truck ?

For the money the TATA seems good value. Also not bad looking (if ever a ute can look good). But there's no getting away from the stigma of it being Indian. I'd find out who supplied the engines and drive train. if it's their own I'd be suspicious about longevity. I can only imagine resale will also suffer.

On the flip side. Maybe TATA are trying hard to enter new markets and the product is good. I remember when Skoda was considered rubbish. Now they are well regarded vehicles. With a little help from VW.

Thing to bear in mind is the Tata super ace is designed as a city truck. it has a 1400cc diesel engine.

What about the Suzuki carry with a gas conversion?

You would probably be better with a bigger diesel engine.

Ps the Tata also only has a 38litre fuel tank.. thats tiny for a truck.

pps. the Mitsi that you quoted is a petrol truck. 60,000B MORE gets you a diesel truck with better fuel economy.

Edited by thaicbr

Jeffrey, how long do you intend to keep it, and what sort of mileage do you expect to put on it?

I only ask because if you compare the running costs of a CNG pickup (<1 Baht/KM) to a more typical 2.5L diesel pickup (2.5 Baht/KM), the initial purchase price can become less significant if high KM's will be travelled. Resale can also be a factor of course - but if you're looking to put 300,000 KM on the pickup before turn-over, probably not worth considering :)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Jeffrey, how long do you intend to keep it, and what sort of mileage do you expect to put on it?

I only ask because if you compare the running costs of a CNG pickup (<1 Baht/KM) to a more typical 2.5L diesel pickup (2.5 Baht/KM), the initial purchase price can become less significant if high KM's will be travelled. Resale can also be a factor of course - but if you're looking to put 300,000 KM on the pickup before turn-over, probably not worth considering :)

The Suzuki I just don't fit in. I have tried.

I was told the Mitsu Petrol gets 12.4 km/l and the diesel gets 12.9 So not much difference

I expect to keep it 5 years and do about 20 - 30,000 per year in it

With a 38 lt tank the Tata sould make it to BKK form CM. Usually I need a butt break along the way anyways.

And Tata does own Jaguar as well as Land rover . . . But yes, also the Nano, the 100,000 Bt car.

The Suzuki I just don't fit in. I have tried.

I was told the Mitsu Petrol gets 12.4 km/l and the diesel gets 12.9 So not much difference

I expect to keep it 5 years and do about 20 - 30,000 per year in it

With a 38 lt tank the Tata sould make it to BKK form CM. Usually I need a butt break along the way anyways.

And Tata does own Jaguar as well as Land rover . . . But yes, also the Nano, the 100,000 Bt car.

You have to remember that those standard fuel economy figures are created on a dyno in a workshop, using a standardized program with no load, no road surface changes, no elevation changes, no temperature differences, and no wind resistance on the vehicle - i.e. they're not intended to be real-world,only comparable to each other under the exact same condiitons.

Add weight to the tray and drive them on real roads, and the gasoline engine will quickly drop to 9-10 Km/L, while the diesel will barely drop at all due to it's extra torque.

Another factor in the equation is that the current low prices for gasoline won't last - 11.5 months from now the oil fund will need to be replenished in a very big way, so expect prices to skyrocket then.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Nissan Frontier (not Navara) commonrail diesel at 410k or so

Do they still have these in-stock? I haven't seen/heard of them for a few months now.

If they are still available, they're a bargain.

just came back from a 2400km roadtrip, and see them at a few dealers. I believe they still make them for fleetsales like ATM service and such. They are listed at Nissans home page

also still seen som Chev flatbeds at 399k baht, but didnt stop to check if secondhand or new

Nissan Frontier (not Navara) commonrail diesel at 410k or so

Do they still have these in-stock? I haven't seen/heard of them for a few months now.

If they are still available, they're a bargain.

just came back from a 2400km roadtrip, and see them at a few dealers. I believe they still make them for fleetsales like ATM service and such. They are listed at Nissans home page

also still seen som Chev flatbeds at 399k baht, but didnt stop to check if secondhand or new

Haven't seen the flatbed Chev's, but bought a few extra cab 2.5L 5MT D-max's with air, steer, and power windows, PRB, insurance, film, tray liner and floor mats for 470K a pop a few months back - which was an OK deal :)

Glacier Water, a large drinking water company in CMai, has switched to TATA trucks to deliver large amounts of 20L jugs throughout the city. The trucks are equipped with 2 large gas tanks below the bed, and the sides fold down for ease of access. My local delivery chap is very pleased with its mileage and toughness. As their older trucks need replacement, he said the company will go with TATA. FWIW.