The Circles

Riely

I was just noticing in a recent topic yet another person complaining about how many expats here who apparently lie about their situation.

This is a excerpt from KerryK's post that sums it up pretty well;

"I'm assuming you haven't been in Thailand long but there are some unique phenomenon here. 1. There are more SAS, Navy Seals and ex mercenary soldiers in Thai bars than any other place in the world. 2. On certain Thai forums almost all the married men are handsome, with great jobs, married to hi so women with politically well connected families. 3. Very few if any men frequent houses of ill repute or have mia nois. About 60% of men living in Thailand do but on the forums it is more like 10%.

Hope that explains it. "

I have been here in Thailand now for 10yrs. I just don't see it. Where do you find these people? What circles do you hang out in to be exposed to these type of people?

So what circles do you find yourself in here in Thailand? Are they the same ones you would be in if you were in your native land?

Do the circles you find yourself in here say anything about who YOU are?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only circles I travel in are the ones I make myself. It actually wouldn't surprise me if there were a lot of ex-Navy SEALS and military types in Thailand left over from the Vietnam war. That war exposed men to places and things they had never seen before, and the war did not prepare them well for returning to their home lands. War tends to do that to people.

Thailand is a fascinating place and suits the "odd types" that just don't fit into todays overly religious, self righteous societies so common in the western world. I know that I have changed some of my thinking 180 degrees in the 15 years I've been coming to Thailand. Things I knew for certain when I was in my 30s have been altered drastically.

Most of us do not have enough time for more than just a few good friends, and the rest are just aquaintances that we mix with on occasion. I have a number of friends in Thailand and more than a few aquaintances. I tend to frequent the same 2 or 3 bars in Chiang Mai because I know the staff and they know me. I"m quite happy in that circle of people. But, I have no problem talking to stranger and meeting other people. It only takes a few minutes to know if you have anything in common.

Helicopter pilot circles. There are a lot of Farang chopper pilots in Thailand especially from Canada.

Oil and gas executive circles. There a lot of

Farang oil and gas executives here.

Automotive circles. There are a lot of Farang auto executives from here.

Consultant engineer circles. There are a lot of Farang engineers here that inspect things because they have certain certifications.

From what I see about 80% have hookers for wives and GF's; albeit absolutely strikingly beautiful ladies. Because the above guys make big bucks.

Military circles. A number of Americans live here who were based here during the war. Very few of them were Rambo types. Most being involved in construction, although they have Thai ties going back 40 years (interesting stories). There are some real hero's here though such as the guys who pulled the Thais out of Laos when the sh** hit the fan. And guys who flew the last prop fighters, and guys who flew all kinds of odd missions in strange aircraft, the variety of aircraft used is mind boggling.

If you didn't know it the mission decisions were made in Washington and then relayed to the air bases in Thailand. This meant that the data was usually old and dangerous. The pilots stationed here had brass balls. I saw B-52's go on the same mission three days in a row using the same flight path. On the third day you knew they weren't coming back (Even the North Vietnamese AA gets the range after three tries). All because some clerk at the pentagon was too lazy to plan a new mission.

The dog handlers are interesting too and a couple are still here. These guys worked with incredibly large German Shepherds in guarding air bases, U-Tapao for example. The VC attacked U-Tapao on a couple of occasions trying to get at the B-52's.

Off shore mercenaries. Most of them are truck drivers from Iraq, they make $120,000 a year.

Helicopter pilot circles. There are a lot of Farang chopper pilots in Thailand especially from Canada.

Oil and gas executive circles. There a lot of

Farang oil and gas executives here.

Automotive circles. There are a lot of Farang auto executives from here.

Consultant engineer circles. There are a lot of Farang engineers here that inspect things because they have certain certifications.

From what I see about 80% have hookers for wives and GF's; albeit absolutely strikingly beautiful ladies. Because the above guys make big bucks.

Military circles. A number of Americans live here who were based here during the war. Very few of them were Rambo types. Most being involved in construction, although they have Thai ties going back 40 years (interesting stories). There are some real hero's here though such as the guys who pulled the Thais out of Laos when the sh** hit the fan. And guys who flew the last prop fighters, and guys who flew all kinds of odd missions in strange aircraft, the variety of aircraft used is mind boggling.

If you didn't know it the mission decisions were made in Washington and then relayed to the air bases in Thailand. This meant that the data was usually old and dangerous. The pilots stationed here had brass balls. I saw B-52's go on the same mission three days in a row using the same flight path. On the third day you knew they weren't coming back (Even the North Vietnamese AA gets the range after three tries). All because some clerk at the pentagon was too lazy to plan a new mission.

The dog handlers are interesting too and a couple are still here. These guys worked with incredibly large German Shepherds in guarding air bases, U-Tapao for example. The VC attacked U-Tapao on a couple of occasions trying to get at the B-52's.

Off shore mercenaries. Most of them are truck drivers from Iraq, they make $120,000 a year.

For every ten loudmouths telling their war stories here in SE Asia there are a few discreetly quiet guys around who are the real deal. We just lost a great example a few days ago in Chiang Mai. Ken Chapman aka Dustoff who was shot down seven times in Viet Nam is a perfect example of the quiet, real deal. I have several other friends both here in Thailand and the Philippines who remain the real deal. The dog handlers you mention used "sentry dogs". Google them. I was lucky enough to have handled two sentry dogs.

Good cross section, Kerry. I would believe you from the types I've met. My guess is a lot of expats in Thailand are men and women that haven't fit into normal societies back home. It takes a certain type of person to travel to far different countries and take up residence there. There is not a vast amount of difference moving from Canada to the US, or the UK, or Australia and New Zealand, but there is a huge difference coming to Asia to live.

For every ten loudmouths telling their war stories here in SE Asia there are a few discreetly quiet guys around who are the real deal. We just lost a great example a few days ago in Chiang Mai. Ken Chapman aka Dustoff who was shot down seven times in Viet Nam is a perfect example of the quiet, real deal. I have several other friends both here in Thailand and the Philippines who remain the real deal. The dog handlers you mention used "sentry dogs". Google them. I was lucky enough to have handled two sentry dogs.

Good example, bunta. Ken was a great guy and he will be dearly missed by many.

The only circles I travel in are the ones I make myself. It actually wouldn't surprise me if there were a lot of ex-Navy SEALS and military types in Thailand left over from the Vietnam war. That war exposed men to places and things they had never seen before, and the war did not prepare them well for returning to their home lands. War tends to do that to people.

Does that mean in the future there's going to be a lot of expats in Iraq and Afghan. :D

Does that mean in the future there's going to be a lot of expats in Iraq and Afghan. :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Have you compared Iraq and Afghan women to Thai women? :blink:

Oh, wait, you can't even SEE Iraq women. You get to see a big, black tent thrown over something that may or may not be human. :o

Good cross section, Kerry. I would believe you from the types I've met. My guess is a lot of expats in Thailand are men and women that haven't fit into normal societies back home. It takes a certain type of person to travel to far different countries and take up residence there. There is not a vast amount of difference moving from Canada to the US, or the UK, or Australia and New Zealand, but there is a huge difference coming to Asia to live.

I can relate to this comment.

Before joining the British navy, i would travel to Europe countries and say i have traveled. I would never in my wildest dreams of gone to any asian countries. I would of made excuses about it being to far away, to expensive, bla de bla. But whilst in the navy i have been to the middle east, Caribbean and Falkland islands. We stopped in quite a few places around them areas, including Africa and Brazil. I can honestly say, you could drop me in any country in the world and i could make a life for myself. I would never of had the confidence to say that before.

The ship i have just come off, was down the Falklands for 5 months patrolling the area and stuff. Once we left and headed back to civilisation, it was really strange. Seeing people in non military cloths and speaking to people that were not military. I felt all shy again and out of my comfort zone (few drinks sorted that though). Its hard to explain, but i can see why people that come from war zones change. I have changed and i haven't been shot at or come under attack. Well not for real anyway.

Oh, wait, you can't even SEE Iraq women. You get to see a big, black tent thrown over something that may or may not be human. :o

Then generally make very loud noises in crowded places......

I have no circles for i have learnt that it's wiser not to mix around with a fixed group of people hence i chit chat with whoever chit chats with me. Can call me anti-social but from experience, there's no such thing as circle of friends here cos tomorrow, over a small issue, friends becomes enemies.

My circles are pretty small. There's my immediate family, a few Thai pals I've picked up along the way, a couple of straight up western blokes in Khon Kaen and a few lads from my time working in BKK.

To be perfectly honest I don't crave western company and can't be bothered to sort the wheat from the chaff.

My circles are pretty small. There's my immediate family, a few Thai pals I've picked up along the way, a couple of straight up western blokes in Khon Kaen and a few lads from my time working in BKK.

To be perfectly honest I don't crave western company and can't be bothered to sort the wheat from the chaff.

How dare you. Quite blasphemous throughout those exceptional and traditional expat circles.:whistling:

Anti-social hermits and Thaiophiles that have gone bush need not apply.:rolleyes:

How dare you. Quite blasphemous throughout those exceptional and traditional expat circles.:whistling:

Anti-social hermits and Thaiophiles that have gone bush need not apply.:rolleyes:

:lol:

Let's face it the vast majority of ex-pats here are losers, wannabees and pretenders. Life's big winners don't come to thailand (including me)

Speaks volumes your post, especially the part you left out..."Don't come to thailand, but hang out on a forum dedicated to it."

Let's face it the vast majority of ex-pats here are losers, wannabees and pretenders. Life's big winners don't come to thailand (including me)

Speaks volumes your post, especially the part you left out..."Don't come to thailand, but hang out on a forum dedicated to it."

I'd assumed he was saying he was not one of life's big winners, and that he was a loser, wannabee or pretender, same as the rest of us. To be fair, I'm proud of being able to tick all three boxes; if only I was arrogant as well...

SC

I mentioned circles before of helicopter pilots, retired military and auto and petroleum executives living in Thailand. They all seem happy with nice wives and/or GF's.

I have a facebook page that is linked to a couple of schools I attended, fraternity brothers and business associations. My old friends post pictures of their young trophy wives but not their mia nois. Anyone can have a trophy wife but how many have a trophy mia noi or two.

There are Western women on my facebook page also and they post inspirational messages and the latest airy fairy new health fad.

I don't know what you consider a big winner but I can get a hummer from the maid any morning without going to jail (DSK eat your heart out). Or to Hugh Hefner, no one has jilted me lately and I get more action than Hugh. Did you check out Neil Diamond's new young bimbo? Boy he could do a lot better in Thailand.

If you like curling stay in Canada. If you like women come to Thailand. Each person has to find the things that make their heart go pitter patter. I like Jasmine rice and Issan women. I wouldn't be happy in the South of France.

you see more burqas in london than you do Baghdad .