Boots Vitamins

uptheos

Just FYI for anyone that's interested.

I was in Boots Pharmacy, Central, today

They (I presume all Boots) are offering a 2 for 1 on all their OWN brand vitamins up until October 5th.

They had a similar sale last year, which I believe either Nancy or Sally brought to our attention (sorry can't recall who)

Thanks for that info as I was starting to compile a list of what I want. Any idea of the quality of their brand name?

Sorry mate, can't vouch for the quality only the price. I take their chelated Zinc and Biotin, plus last year I stocked up on their concentrated fish oil.

Needs a bit of research really as opposed to me telling you if they're good or bad.......cos I haven't got a clue. biggrin.gif

Thanks for the advice uptheos

Id like to point out that unless the vitamins are fibre based there is no point in getting them as the fillers they use never break down and the vitamin will just pass. Even the fibre based ones aren't great.

Vitamin supplements especially multi-vitamins make the tinest weeniest bit of difference to your health, if any. Ask any body-builder or nutritionist, they really are a waste of money. Sorry to put a dampner on the offer guys.

P.S Don't go near cod liver oil supplements, they really do f..k up yr liver

Edited by james24

I'm interested in any links you have to back up these claims.

The only links I've found don't agree, (legitimate scientific studies), or they do (websites with a slant on all natural diets/supplements) .

I take a number of vitamins, so am genuinely interested in your points. Maybe I'm just not hitting lucky with Google.

Also, the clo claim you make. I used very specific search terms to find information, but came up empty handed, aside from a site that said clo in the old days was not pure, but now the big labs ensure its pure, and health benefits are great.

Again, I'm not challenging you, I am genuinely interested, and whereas I'm usually Google king, I'm failing to find info supporting these beliefs.

Thanks

Id like to point out that unless the vitamins are fibre based there is no point in getting them as the fillers they use never break down and the vitamin will just pass. Even the fibre based ones aren't great.

Vitamin supplements especially multi-vitamins make the tinest weeniest bit of difference to your health, if any. Ask any body-builder or nutritionist, they really are a waste of money. Sorry to put a dampner on the offer guys.

One obviously can't take such sweeping statements seriously and can only assume the gentleman is feeling a touch liverish. A shredded expletive but not a shred of evidence. I suggest an extended course of cod liver oil capsules would do the trick. I've taken them for years. And shall certainly be taking advantage of the Boots offer.crazy.gif

The only links I've found don't agree, (legitimate scientific studies), or they do (websites with a slant on all natural diets/supplements) .

I take a number of vitamins, so am genuinely interested in your points. Maybe I'm just not hitting lucky with Google.

Also, the clo claim you make. I used very specific search terms to find information, but came up empty handed, aside from a site that said clo in the old days was not pure, but now the big labs ensure its pure, and health benefits are great.

Again, I'm not challenging you, I am genuinely interested, and whereas I'm usually Google king, I'm failing to find info supporting these beliefs.

Thanks

Na no worries dude. The first time I learnt about the fillers in multivitamins was from Justin Fortune. Justin Fortune used to be Manny Pacquaio's strength and conditioning-dietician. They use all types of things that don't digest properly but do bulk up the weight hence being cheaper to produce. You can also run the risk of going over your rda (with ones that do digest) Regarding studies vs websites choose carefully when deciding whether legitimate or not. Drug companies pay a hell of a lot of money to people to put studies that support their product. Obviously not all are bribed but always look into the source and I guess that goes for the websites too. I use to take multivits funnily enough from Boots in the Uk and the only thing they use to do to me was make me turn red. (niacin)

Again I use to take cod liver oil and stopped because I got a pain in my side. I looked it up and even on the back of some of the products they warn that if you have this symptom to stop taking them and consult a doctor. There are different theories but the one that interested me the most and made the most sense on a basic level was that the kidneys and liver are the filters, therefore fish swimming in polluted/contaminated waters would be constantly filtering bad crap like mercury, heavy metals etc. Then to take these organs and produce oil from them, no matter what cleansing they go through, kinda put me off more than anything. I also remember something again about the vitamin levels being too high which can cause the blood not to clot properly resulting in nosebleeds etc

As for not finding anything on google there seems to be absolutely loads... what are you searching for? The first page of google doesnt always mean its the most relevant, it just means that that website knows how to satisfy google's algorithms a bit more. Always go deeper than the first page. But a website I always use is bodybuilding.com. Im no body builder but there is heaps of info on there aswell as many doctors, nutritionists and obviously athletes. That place really is for me, a great way to find out about nutrients and the best way to get them etc.

If you're still stuck Im sure I can dig a pdf out from somewhere, Im really into this kinda stuff at the mo so any q's you've got, more than happy to help. The most important thing whatever you choose to believe is a good, well researched balanced diet eliminates all needs for supplements.

I think over the years the vitamin companies, through mass promotion, have convinced people that their products should be an essential part of our daily lives.Each to his own but I have never seen any data or case histories that would convince me of the benefits. As James says they make little difference. In Chiang Mai we have an abundance of fresh fruit and veges readily available that probably provide more than enough goodies for your body.Sure not so simple, or convenient, as popping a few pills but buy a blender and a juicer,visit the markets twice a week, add a little research and your body will receive the benefit.

Thanks

Na no worries dude. The first time I learnt about the fillers in multivitamins was from Justin Fortune. Justin Fortune used to be Manny Pacquaio's strength and conditioning-dietician. They use all types of things that don't digest properly but do bulk up the weight hence being cheaper to produce. You can also run the risk of going over your rda (with ones that do digest) Regarding studies vs websites choose carefully when deciding whether legitimate or not. Drug companies pay a hell of a lot of money to people to put studies that support their product. Obviously not all are bribed but always look into the source and I guess that goes for the websites too. I use to take multivits funnily enough from Boots in the Uk and the only thing they use to do to me was make me turn red. (niacin)

Again I use to take cod liver oil and stopped because I got a pain in my side. I looked it up and even on the back of some of the products they warn that if you have this symptom to stop taking them and consult a doctor. There are different theories but the one that interested me the most and made the most sense on a basic level was that the kidneys and liver are the filters, therefore fish swimming in polluted/contaminated waters would be constantly filtering bad crap like mercury, heavy metals etc. Then to take these organs and produce oil from them, no matter what cleansing they go through, kinda put me off more than anything. I also remember something again about the vitamin levels being too high which can cause the blood not to clot properly resulting in nosebleeds etc

As for not finding anything on google there seems to be absolutely loads... what are you searching for? The first page of google doesnt always mean its the most relevant, it just means that that website knows how to satisfy google's algorithms a bit more. Always go deeper than the first page. But a website I always use is bodybuilding.com. Im no body builder but there is heaps of info on there aswell as many doctors, nutritionists and obviously athletes. That place really is for me, a great way to find out about nutrients and the best way to get them etc.

If you're still stuck Im sure I can dig a pdf out from somewhere, Im really into this kinda stuff at the mo so any q's you've got, more than happy to help. The most important thing whatever you choose to believe is a good, well researched balanced diet eliminates all needs for supplements.

hi get the minerals from dr. wallach;

http://www.american-longevity.com/

cheers,

It's kind of a received wisdom that taking vitamins and supplements are good for health.

I don't want to rattle anyone's cage, or question people's beliefs...but I have been reading a lot recently about how many of these nutritional supplements are not only a waste of money, counteract with prescribed medication, and are often of dubious (claimed) potency....but can actually do harm.

I used to take a mega high dose time release multi-vit, glucosamine/chondroitin, niacin time release, saw palmetto ....you name it, I took it. Had a whole shelf full of high end nutritional supplements. I won't name them because it pains me too much to think of the money I used to spend.

Stopped a few years ago, haven't noticed any difference. IMHO, it is all a combination of marketing, paranoia...and a quite natural fear of dying. The (green) pharma companies who sell the tumeric, the yab yum potions, just want you to believe if you buy their wonder pill you'll live an extra 25 years.

I still take a Thai brand multi (has Co-enzyme Q10, wow!), and a B12 supplement.

Other than that, I just try to eat fresh fruit and green salad everyday, that provides what I need naturally. Not that I am a paragon of health.

:coffee1:

I think the medical consensus is that most people who eat a healthy diet with adequate amounts of fresh vegetables and fruits (an easy diet to accomplish in Thailand) don't need vitamin supplements. People who live off a fast food diet; fried meat, fried potatoes, white bread and sugary drinks, can probably benefit from a quality multivitamin, but there is no benefit, and some risk, in consuming massive doses of vitamins and minerals well above the RDA.

While I would trust the advice of a qualified nutritionist who isn't trying to sale a product, I wouldn't trust the advice of self-proclaimed nutritionists who are trying to sale a miracle supplement or body builders who will try, and recommend, anything they heard about in the gym.

Sensible and nutritious diet is sensible advice.

But there are people who require or have been advised (by a physician or nutritionist) to take certain supplements.

Sometimes even the placebo effect works and as already pointed out the wrong supplements can do harm.

Edited by uptheos

I think over the years the vitamin companies, through mass promotion, have convinced people that their products should be an essential part of our daily lives.Each to his own but I have never seen any data or case histories that would convince me of the benefits. As James says they make little difference. In Chiang Mai we have an abundance of fresh fruit and veges readily available that probably provide more than enough goodies for your body.Sure not so simple, or convenient, as popping a few pills but buy a blender and a juicer,visit the markets twice a week, add a little research and your body will receive the benefit.

:thumbsup:

Sure not so simple, or convenient, as popping a few pills but buy a blender and a juicer,visit the markets twice a week, add a little research and your body will receive the benefit.

Unless you are a diabetic as I am. Vitamins work for me, fruit juices, because of their sugar content, don't work for me..

Edited by LJW

I used to take a mega high dose time release multi-vit, glucosamine/chondroitin, niacin time release, saw palmetto

Yeah but maybe that's why your bones are so big and strong and you don't get up to pee at night after 6 pints now......I think you just took the niacin to get off on the flush.biggrin.gif