Can A Restaurant Menu Be "Too" Gay?

Jingthing

OK, check out these ever so "gay" menu items at a recently opened Jomtien complex restaurant --

A Wilde Coupe, be careful, you’re neighbor is jealous now 150

Café Glacé, so nice, tastes like a kiss of a Thai boy 120

(You're neighbor, please hire a menu editor!)

(Wilde as in Oscar Wilde, natch.)

A bit over the top (or under the bottom, your choice), wouldn't you say?

I have never been a fan of "gay" restaurants. The menus are often so frou frou (fusion, schmusion) and they almost never serve the best food in town. People don't generally go mainly for the food to such places anyway. No problem with that for people that enjoy them, it's your cash, but for me, the FOOD is everything. On the other hand, I can see social problems in some places for those older men hosting a young Thai man. You would SOMETIMES be getting some stares and even open hostility at some "regular" places and that might spoil your evening out.

Anyway, honestly, the main reason I posted this is because it was FUNNY. Kiss of a Thai boy. Please!

(Do they mean the kind where you can taste the fried insect parts stuck in their teeth?)

BTW, it's a bit cheeky, but I don't think you need to pay as much as 120 baht to experience the taste of the kiss of a Thai boy in Jomtien Complex. So why pay for the fake?

Edited by Jingthing

Silly, but some would say Thai girls are kissed by Thai boys too.

One of the nicest menu items I remember was in an Italian Restaurant in Hong Kong; it said, "Fresh Balls". My companion, who was not gay at all, asked if we could choose our waiter. To serve them, of course.

Silly, but some would say Thai girls are kissed by Thai boys too.

Haven't seen such a weird thing happen at Jomtien Complex! (Perhaps hidden from polite society so as not to scare the horses.)

BTW, I don't mean to make this thread about the actual restaurant that sports those menu items (so I didn't mention the name on purpose). Not knocking or promoting this place specifically, just wanted to open talk about gay restaurants and gay sounding menus GENERALLY. That said, I can't stop others from getting specific if they choose, so I won't try.

Edited by Jingthing

Hm. The idea of a "gay restaurant" was alien to me until I first visited Sydney some 20 years ago. Up until then, I had thought a restaurant was only about food. How silly I was.

If you know a thing about Marketing, you will have heard about "the pink dollar". Gays are more affluent than their straight counterparts, as they usually don't have to pay for a family but get the same salary as a family's father. They also tip better (I learned this from a straight waiter).

Put the two together, and it's a recipe for making money. Employ cute-looking waiters (but please do train them) and name your dishes and drinks according to what your tourist customers (in Jomtien) want to hear.

To answer the question in the thead title: A restaurant menu can be too gay for a resident, but in a tourist area, their main focus will be tourists.

I am afraid I am of that newfangled ilk here who tend to think it is embarrassing on far too many levels to be around any one, any place, or any thing which refers to Thai men of any age above 20 as 'boys', which is one of those awful parts of the tourist argot here. But else what would one expect in Pattaya?

I am afraid I am of that newfangled ilk here who tend to think it is embarrassing on far too many levels to be around any one, any place, or any thing which refers to Thai men of any age above 20 as 'boys', which is one of those awful parts of the tourist argot here. But else what would one expect in Pattaya?

I'm not particularly keen on this either... but each to his own way. After all, girls are still girls at any age; haven't you heard blue-rinsed wrinklies refer to their friends as 'the girls'? And that's not even restricted to women.

I guess it's only fair to also ask --

Can a restaurant menu be too straight?

http://www.hooters.c.../menu/menu.aspx

Really?

Check out the salad section. "More than a mouthful" Hello?

Read the Cobb salad description. Uh huh.

Fried pickles? That's fine eatin' for da trailer park folk.

look at the drink section. Wine coolers, Sangria, Champagne. Girlie drinks all of them. I have had a few of those cooler things and they are overly sweet.

Nope sorry, you are incorrect.

Even when I'm really bored I've been giving this forum a miss for years, ever since I inadvertantly stumbled upon a "lubrication" thread :bah: . I'm still not fully recovered from that but that thread title was too intriguing to pass up. Hilarious!

Can you post (or PM) a link to that thread? ;-)

And then: Don't judge a forum by a thread...

Even when I'm really bored I've been giving this forum a miss for years, ever since I inadvertantly stumbled upon a "lubrication" thread :bah: . I'm still not fully recovered from that but that thread title was too intriguing to pass up. Hilarious!

I've always found axle grease and a bit of spit more than adequate :rolleyes:

I suppose that's alright if you want to spend the night sleeping with a wheel bearing.

but getting back to the OP

I tend to veer away from establishments that advertise THAT style of cuisine.

"Not that there's anything wrong with that"

but, as JT pointed out, the drinks are overpriced

and there's no rugby on the tele.

I suppose that's alright if you want to spend the night sleeping with a wheel bearing.

A tub of axle grease and a knowing leer are very attractive to members of the motor trade. :ph34r:

Hmmm. Wheel bearings as sexual accoutrement. That *does* have potential... :whistling: