Dutch Delicious Debut

Greenside

Merlot, not the bag in box stuff that everyone has.

:ph34r:

David

There's plenty merlot that comes in cheap 5 liter bottles. ;)

And even borderline-decent one from Rim ping at 3 bottles for 1000.. so that's 333 baht per bottle, 700 ml, glass is 150ml, so 4.6 glasses per bottle. Cost is 70 baht per glass in that case.

Are they selling beer at 70B / 100% markup too?

I was a big fan of Tuskers and was always made so welcome there.Chas and Rachel worked so hard to make a go of their bar/restaurant.Then came Red Mango,that was OK and they had a good Sunday roast for 200bt and cheaper beer. What has Dutch Delicious got to offer? What food do they have? If it will be exclusive to Dutch expats? It is not an easy place to find so they will have to build a regular clientele.Anyone know how they do that.?

I can only ask the obvious question,why should I go there?

Merlot, not the bag in box stuff that everyone has.

:ph34r:

David

There's plenty merlot that comes in cheap 5 liter bottles. ;)

And even borderline-decent one from Rim ping at 3 bottles for 1000.. so that's 333 baht per bottle, 700 ml, glass is 150ml, so 4.6 glasses per bottle. Cost is 70 baht per glass in that case.

Are they selling beer at 70B / 100% markup too?

In Europe its normal to have a 200% mark up. I don't understand how some one can make a living otherwise.

You have your rent , staff , electric etc etc.

• Like 1

In Europe its normal to have a 200% mark up. I don't understand how some one can make a living otherwise.

You have your rent , staff , electric etc etc.

Well, I guess first and foremost this is Thailand and most Thai restaurants and bars are priced to suit the Thai's and they do make a living. If a foreigner sets up a business, then they need to be very sure that there is a market for their product and people will pay the asking price. There are some very successful foreign establishments and there are many who are struggling. Of course there are also those that had to either sell up or just walk away.sad.gif

• 6 months later...

There was a lengthy discussion about parking there back two owners ago. Pro-restaurant enthusiasts claimed that it was hardly 100 meters or so back east to a crossroad (essentially going N-S) where parking was easy. Perhaps that was Soi 2 of Moi Kao? I've had no difficulty parking a bike there - or even closer yet near the door, sometimes.

I do know that it's no more difficult than parking at the DK Bookstore for Mario's, but everyone seems to fret about this stroll.

Truth is, folks miss Tusker's owners' personable hospitality + events +

where do you park near there.my friend owns the funky monkey which is oppostite but still i agree not many places to park

I think you park anywhere you like, say near Taipei Gate or Mannynoppyrat Rd past Cheng Purk, then take a Songthoowie.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

You're right, it's no longer on my map. I removed it after multiple complaints about the service soon after they opened and haven't been back since although I noticed when driving past a few weeks back that they advertise fan rooms at backpacker prices and imported beer starting at 120 baht a bottle which seems like a strange bit of thinking. In my backpacking days the poison of choice would have been the Chiang equivalent - certainly not something from home at three times the price of the local brew. Retsina comes to mind, but just the thought gives me a violent headache (pretty much like Chiang, really).

Surprised to see they are still open to be honest.

Edited by Greenside

• 7 months later...

Parking is the main issue in that location. Ok for walk-by tourists and the motorcy crowd, but for real expats it's a challenge to get there.

So your criteria to be a real expat is you must have a car.

The number of walk-bys there is limited compared with the main back-pack guest house areas and, like it or not, many permanent residents do prefer to use a car for protection from not only the rain but other drivers.

Anyway, with the overheads mentioned in the ad it's hard to imagine that there's much profit to be made so it will take someone with a Really Good Idea and/or deep pockets to make a go of it.