Non Imm "O" Mariage: The 400K 3 Months Requirement ?

Hi,

Im' living in Thailand, I married last week and I plan to apply for a Non Imm "O" Mariage in 3 months.

Last week I transfered more than 400K bahts to my thai bank account. I went to my thai bank, and they gave me a letter for the thai immigration, stating that I have more than 400K bahts.

I started to pick up some money on my thai bank account, and I was ready to show this letter to the immigration in 3 months...but reading the forum I'm quite confuse now... what will they (thai immigration in Jomtien) ask me in 3 months:

1. Only the letter from the bank dated 3 months ago
  2. The letter from the bank dated 3 months ago, and a new letter from the bank (400KB 3 months ago & 400KB today)
  3. The letter from the bank dated 3 months ago and a letter from the bank telling than my balance was always > 400KB for 3 months

Someone did that recently at the Thai police immigration of Jomtien ? What papers/documents are they asking ?

PS: If someone did the same application for a >50yo non imm O visa with the 800KB/3months statment in Jomtien, he can give feedback too, the requirement have to be the same.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The money has to be in the bank for two months.

When you apply you get a letter from the bank a day or two before stating the balance.

Also your bank book updated with the same balance.

Thank you.

So I went to my bank too soon... ok:)

But If my balance is down 400Kb during the last 3 months, but the balance >400Kb again, just before a day the appliance (I will do a new bank transfer), will it be OK ? (with a new letter from the bank...)

For Non-Immigrant O Marriage Visa - You only need "joint" income of 40K Baht per month (it may be a little higher now-but not much) That's "joint" so it includes both husband and wife income. You will also need a notarized letter from your embassy stating your income. Most embassies have a form for this and your state your income to them. Thai immigration takes that notarized statement as proof of income. Many people are not familiar with the actual requirements for the marriage visa - It is different from the retirement visa.

For Non-Immigrant O Marriage Visa - You only need "joint" income of 40K Baht per month (it may be a little higher now-but not much) That's "joint" so it includes both husband and wife income. You will also need a notarized letter from your embassy stating your income. Most embassies have a form for this and your state your income to them. Thai immigration takes that notarized statement as proof of income. Many people are not familiar with the actual requirements for the marriage visa - It is different from the retirement visa.

Please comment on the requirements for a "retirement visa"; I am also married and have the necessary funds in bank, but would like to be able to reduce the amountnow at 800,000 to 400,000 if possible and have been advised with conflicting information....thanks. michael

Money must be that of foreign husband for marriage extension of stay be it income or bank deposit. Joint income it not allowed under Police Order 777/2551.

Please comment on the requirements for a "retirement visa"; I am also married and have the necessary funds in bank, but would like to be able to reduce the amountnow at 800,000 to 400,000 if possible and have been advised with conflicting information....thanks. michael

Retirement is 800k/65k or combination - there is no reduction for being married - if you want a retirement extension of stay that is the requirement unless grandfathered from a lower requirement from years ago.

If married to a Thai you can change to Thai Wife extension of stay with 400k in bank or 40k income. But that is not a retirement extension of stay.

take bank book to bank and have it stamped the day before you apply to prove $ still there.

Non O must be applied for from outside Thailand, Penang, singapore or?????.. you need

2 photographs 2 x 2

1 application

1 copy Wifes passport

1 copy wifes ID card

Copy of house papers

Your original passport

Marrage certificate copy front abd back

Can I apply for a retirement visa when in the country on a tourist visa? Can I open a bank acct on a tourist visa? If not, how do you get the bank acct 800K done for 2 months?

If you apply for it in your home country, how do you get the thai bank acct open and deposited? I assume it must be a thai bank. But you also need a home police check and health check... so i sort of assume you have to have the visa before leaving home?

Thanks

If applying for a O-A Visa in your own country you need a Medical Certificate and a Police Report. Money can be in your own bank.

If applying for a 12 month extension for retirement in Thailand you do not need a Medical or Police report. Money has to be in a Thai bank.

Best to arrive with a Non Imm O Visa with this option.

You can obtain conversion to non immigrant visa entry inside Thailand if you can show the funds for extension of stay in bank or income required. Cost is 2,000 baht and you then have 90 days to obtain the extension of stay (giving time for funds to be in account for required amount of time if using that method). Banks will open account on tourist visa but often want proof of address or sponsorship of someone with account or such. Bangkok Bank lists there exact requirements on web site for all types of entry. But in general if one branch says no you keep asking until one says yes for any bank.

The letter from the bank can't be older than 3 days. When you get the letter it will have a xerox copy of the most current page this if read by the officier is self explanatory as to how long the money has been in the bank. The first year they look at everything but now they pretty much seem to care about the letter from the Embassy but you still must have the bank letter? I say this because I know a idiot that was told this same thing so he just went down to Immigration filled out the form and didn't have the letter or anything? They laugh at him and threw it back at him. Like I said this guy was a idiot because he called me and scream that I gave him the wrong information! I hung up on him and haven't heard from him again.

If you have a monthly income like a pension, Social Security for example as noted you can get a letter from the US Embassy for I believe now is something like 1300 baht if not more or less, I remember last year it was increased. If you are in Pattaya the next time the Embassy will be in town will be December 1st, which they will announce the time and hotel and you can get this letter. I stop going to these announce location since they seem not to get the message. It seems that 90% of the people there need this letter but they only have one waiting list instead of a separate table for this letter. The guys that need help in other matter slow down the whole process so just waiting for the letter could take hours? I expect more common sense from the Embassy but I think they have been in Thailand too long and now think and operate like Thailand? I take the bus into Bangkok, to the Embassy and get my letter and make a day out of it, but now starting September 1st, you got to make a appointment with the Embassy just to get the letter.

Having just complete the process for the second yr. It is involved & aggravating, this yr. has change since last, it is one of the most difficult visa's to get & most just go the retirement route. A Thai marriage registration is now required. I'll start with what you'll need form her side. First go to her home of record, get her family Tom-boon, which is her house registration, it will have page with her name entered in it, her birth certificate, her Thai I.D. 2 copies of each.

From your embassy you'll need Affidavit of Eligibility, stating you are free to legally marry, then have that translated into Thai. Next you have to go the Ministry of Foriegn Affairs, to have those document legallized;

Legalization Division

Department of Consulate Affairs

Ministry of Foriegn Affairs

3 Rd Floor, 123 Chaeng Wattana Rd.

Tung Song Hong, Laksi District, Bangkok

Take everything to her Amphore, like the City hall of where she lives, fill out the required paperwrok for registration of aThai Marriage. The registration you'll get the same day if you get there early enough.

For immigration you'll need 2 completed TM-7 forms, including pictures in the required size which are not the same as passport, 2 copies of your passport, both photo page, & entry visa stamp page. Then 25 photos of your living arrangements, the living, sleeping, kitchen areas, food in the fridge, clothes in the closets, shoes, enterainment equipment. You both must be in all photos, Then 2 pictures of you both pointing to the address or name of where you live. 2 photos of both directions of the street, Soi outside of where you live. Mount the photos on legal size plan paper 3 to a page where they will fit & make sure the camera you use has date stamp capabilities.

You will be required to draw a hand drawn map of the neighborhood, then have that copied there at the Jomtien Office. your wife will be required to wirte a letter in Thai stating she wishes to stay together with you as husband & wife. This can be completed before, so long as she doesn't sign or date it until it's witnessed by the agent. All this paperwork must be in the proper order though they won't tell you what that order is. Also you need proof of residence, lease agreemtent, rent receipts, it wouldn't hurt to a have a "Letter of Residency" the same whcih is required for a Thai drivers license, then of course you bank info. I use the Income Statement.

In the Jomtien Office there is only one agent at desk # 5 who processing married 'o' visa's, expect not to have everything she requires, all the copies required many of which will be returned to you serving not purpose other than to annoy you for the efford. She will not talk to you in English as I don't believe she can. But to avoid added complications I did not let her know I speak Thai. Once she has given you to her supervisor who will review your paperwork & stamp every page 3-4 times, you'll have to sign every document. Pay the fee, & she stamps another month extenstion in your passport. Married 'o' visa's are porcessed in Bangkok, on the return due date they will stamp the visa in your passport with the first 90 day report date.

I have been told that since a Thai marriage registration is required the process will be easier in yrs to come, since you should not have to prove yr after yr you are married. I am currently waiting for the return of my stamp from Bangkok, due back at Jomtien Imm Sept. 23, 2011. So I am doubtful that anything has changed.

If you chose to have a business do it all, Siam Legal offer all services for $825.00 USD last time I looked.

Hello, all.

My wife and I were married in New York, NY just after college and came to Bangkok to try our hands at business here. My wife is Thai and I am American. We will be registering our marriage here for non-immigrant O visa.

A couple guys have pointed out the requirements, and they appear to jive with what we were told and with what we've seen on the government websites.

What I will caution everyone against (and I've seen other wise expats provide the same caution) is NEVER rely on something you see on the net. For all our good will for our fellow expats, what I've learned in my time here in Thailand is that 1) standards are hard to come by and 2) the web is largely underdeveloped, poorly updated and should not be relied upon.

ALWAYS call the person/agency/department etc you will be working with and find out exactly what THEY want from you. This is especially true when dealing with the government here. If they want to impose upon you an additional requirement, it is well within their right to do so, so better to get such important information directly from source.

Cheers,

Anthony

Having just complete the process for the second yr. It is involved & aggravating, this yr. has change since last, it is one of the most difficult visa's to get & most just go the retirement route. A Thai marriage registration is now required...
Something is amiss with the above as marriage has always been required to obtain a marriage extension of stay.

Hello, all.

My wife and I were married in New York, NY just after college and came to Bangkok to try our hands at business here. My wife is Thai and I am American. We will be registering our marriage here for non-immigrant O visa.

A couple guys have pointed out the requirements, and they appear to jive with what we were told and with what we've seen on the government websites.

What I will caution everyone against (and I've seen other wise expats provide the same caution) is NEVER rely on something you see on the net. For all our good will for our fellow expats, what I've learned in my time here in Thailand is that 1) standards are hard to come by and 2) the web is largely underdeveloped, poorly updated and should not be relied upon.

ALWAYS call the person/agency/department etc you will be working with and find out exactly what THEY want from you. This is especially true when dealing with the government here. If they want to impose upon you an additional requirement, it is well within their right to do so, so better to get such important information directly from source.

Cheers,

Anthony

Hi Anthony, what you say is very true, however in most cases when you call even a U.S. agency you will be speaking to a Thai. Problem here-in lies is that each step along the way, people of concern know only their piece of the puzzel, & can't tell you how to go about getting all that is required by them & not necessarily where to get it. It took 2 trips to Bangkok to follow the proceedure I laid out. It could have been done in a day, the biggest time consumers were getting the affidavit translated into Thai, & taxi rides back & forth to the Samut Prakan Amphore, where my wife's family lives. For U.S. citizens at the embassy website, by putting in marraige to a Thai in search box will give most but not all that is required.

Your case will be similar to mine, by reason you will not be able to get the "Affidavit of Eligibility" as you are already married, & not eligible to get married, proof of that being you U.S. marriage license. You will have to fill out a blank affidavit & fill in what you are attesting too. In my case, I stated that, my marriage to my Thai national wife is certified by our Los Angeles marriage license & certificate. In accordance with the laws of the Kingdom to continue our lives here as husband & wife. & I wish to remain here under those guidlines. Once you complete the Amphore paperwork you get the marriage registeration but nothing more, they will not issue a Thai marriage license, & you need only the both of those your U.S. Marriage license, & Thai married registration. They issue 2 copies in a plastic document protector, & state they will never issue another, or more copies.

Good luck.

Edited by Dillpickles98

Something is amiss with the above as marriage has always been required to obtain a marriage extension of stay.

Yes it has been required, previous yrs. only the marriage license of where ever you got married was enough, now the Thai marriage registration is required. The prevous marriage licence is made valid by the legalization process. If you go the whole route here, the process is still the same but in the end you get a Thai marriage registration, as well as Thai marrage license.

If married here the marriage certificate from District Office has always been required (but now an additional ledger entry of marriage is required) - if married outside of Thailand your home country marriage is registered here (you are not married again) with it being translated into Thai/verified by your Embassy/registered at MFA and then recorded on ledger at a district office.

Hello, all.

Cheers,

Anthony

Hi Anthony, what you say is very true, however in most cases when you call even a U.S. agency you will be speaking to a Thai. Problem here-in lies is that each step along the way, people of concern know only their piece of the puzzel, & can't tell you how to go about getting all that is required by them & not necessarily where to get it. It took 2 trips to Bangkok to follow the proceedure I laid out. It could have been done in a day, the biggest time consumers were getting the affidavit translated into Thai, & taxi rides back & forth to the Samut Prakan Amphore, where my wife's family lives. For U.S. citizens at the embassy website, by putting in marraige to a Thai in search box will give most but not all that is required.

Your case will be similar to mine, by reason you will not be able to get the "Affidavit of Eligibility" as you are already married, & not eligible to get married, proof of that being you U.S. marriage license. You will have to fill out a blank affidavit & fill in what you are attesting too. In my case, I stated that, my marriage to my Thai national wife is certified by our Los Angeles marriage license & certificate. In accordance with the laws of the Kingdom to continue our lives here as husband & wife. & I wish to remain here under those guidlines. Once you complete the Amphore paperwork you get the marriage registeration but nothing more, they will not issue a Thai marriage license, & you need only the both of those your U.S. Marriage license, & Thai married registration. They issue 2 copies in a plastic document protector, & state they will never issue another, or more copies.

Good luck.

Agreed. We're actually awaiting approval and the process for us was much like you've mentioned. You're also correct regarding people often only being concerned with their area of responsibility. Not a whole different than dealing with government employees back home in NYC, unfortunately.

The money has to be in the bank for two months.

When you apply you get a letter from the bank a day or two before stating the balance.

Also your bank book updated with the same balance.

" A day or two before stating your balance " isn't acceptable at the Korat Immigration office ( not saying it's not where you go ). I got a bank letter on the day I went to Immigration. Because the bank's computer was down, I could not get my book updated, so the bank gave me a statement. This was not good enough for Korat Immigration. They sent me away to the nearest branch of my bank to get the passbook updated. Only when I had done this and copied the relevant pages was my visa application put into the process system.

Your first question of how much & how long for funds in a Thai bank our very clear.400,000THB for Three months the first time you apply.The second time is two months.The money needs to "SIT UNTOUCHED"!Only the Male Spouse(usually the case) is counted as the required income,your wife(Thai/husband Thai) do not count,unless you already had got that visa prior too Oct 2008,then both would be combined.I am doing this for the third time.I use a "Thai Visa" Expert(Thai),and i did this also for the Marriage Visa.I have kept the same person to work with,even after she switched companies.It is a very good way to get things done without doing the "Thai dance"!I pay for the service,and it gets taken care of.As some have pointed out,Thai officials can at times be hard to figure out.I pay somebody else to do that chore.I have a "Fixed" account this year(400G),and will keep it that way.I believe that Visa rules will change,and not in our favor.It is my hope i can get the same bank deposit in the future,but it is better to plan on them raising the amount for both Marrage & retirement visa's.I also suggest that you spend the extra 2000Thb for a multible entry stamp.I have used it twice to go back to America for "problems".I spend around 300.00 usd for everything(10,000Thb).I am not sure if the three day letter from your bank is correct?I got that letter two weeks before my date to redo everythin.,I also did the Embassy letter,again no problems,but as mentioned,it may have changed.Bangkok Bank is a good choice for "Fixed" savings acct.It also does American Govt.Private Funds "DD" direct deposit through "Bangkok Bank of New york.I was able to use the same one i set up for my social security,to deposit funds from a private Trust acct. in America,then move the proceeds to a seperate savings acct.that has debit card attached.@Bangkok Bank(Main Branch Silom Rd.)I use that Bank(Bangkok Bank),as they really our interested in your/my money.It is good business to treat (Farangs) with respect & service.I get both from this bank.I have found it to be in my advantage to use Thai Nationals who speak English to perform work with Thai officials.Chok dee.

Your first question of how much & how long for funds in a Thai bank our very clear.400,000THB for Three months the first time you apply.The second time is two months.The money needs to "SIT UNTOUCHED"!Only the Male Spouse(usually the case) is counted as the required income,your wife(Thai/husband Thai) do not count,unless you already had got that visa prior too Oct 2008,then both would be combined. work with Thai officials.Chok dee.

This information is wrong.

The money has to be in the bank for 2 months, each and every application.

The money has to be the Husbands money regardless how long he has been applying.

"I also suggest that you spend the extra 2000Thb for a multible entry stamp.I have used it twice to go..."

Are you talking about a multiple re-entry permit/stamp? That is the one that allows you to leave and return and keep the same permission to stay date.

If yes, can you say which immigration office you got that from? The normal price for that is 3800 baht, so 2000 would be a bargain.

"Only the Male Spouse(usually the case) is counted as the required income,your wife(Thai/husband Thai) do not count,unless you already had got that visa prior too Oct 2008,then both would be combined."

I don't think females married to Thai's have to show any money.

I've never heard that the combination of income was grandfathered in. Can someone else confirm that?

Getting an extension for marriage or retirement by yourself is not rocket science.

The requirement is 2 months in bank prior to application for Thai wife extension; first time or not.

It is no longer joint income/savings.

Cost of extension is 1,900 baht.

Cost of re-entry permit is either 1,000 or 3,800 baht (multi entry).

"I also suggest that you spend the extra 2000Thb for a multible entry stamp",Don't remember anything about multiple entry last yr. Just now checking the old one, below the visa stamp is a stamped box which says " Notice -To keep your stay permit re-entry permit must be made before leaving Thailand" so by your statement, I would pay a fee for a re-entry permit to maintain the same visa in effect. Also don't remember that option being offered at the time I paid 1,900 THB fee. Now wondering if that option is still available as my return date for the yearly stamp is in 2 wks.

This maybe the subject of another thread, I'll post my question & maybe someone can advise & direct me. While we would never be returning to the U.S. to reside, I was concerned should we have to for family emergency, the embassy out-reach said my wife could be denied entry, by reason we have been out of the U.S. for more than a yr. she is a permanent resident, with Ca. I.D. & soc. sec card. A call to Homeland Security since they only work 3 hrs. a day, stated she would have to complete a 'Permanent Resident Visa Application". Sounds to me like something that could not had quickly in the event of quick travel plans. Also I read somewhere that there are 2 forms of this application, 1 for a permanent resident being out side the U.S. for a yr, but less than 2yrs. & another for 2-5 yrs. & after 5 yrs, the 'Green Card' becomes void. A friend not being knowledgeable in this area suggested getting my wife a new passport which would then not have an entry date into Thailand, her 'Green Card' having 14 yrs before renwal is due.

If any knowledge of this is available please advise.

Having just complete the process for the second yr. It is involved & aggravating, this yr. has change since last, it is one of the most difficult visa's to get & most just go the retirement route. A Thai marriage registration is now required. I'll start with what you'll need form her side. First go to her home of record, get her family Tom-boon, which is her house registration, it will have page with her name entered in it, her birth certificate, her Thai I.D. 2 copies of each.

From your embassy you'll need Affidavit of Eligibility, stating you are free to legally marry, then have that translated into Thai. Next you have to go the Ministry of Foriegn Affairs, to have those document legallized;

Legalization Division

Department of Consulate Affairs

Ministry of Foriegn Affairs

3 Rd Floor, 123 Chaeng Wattana Rd.

Tung Song Hong, Laksi District, Bangkok

Take everything to her Amphore, like the City hall of where she lives, fill out the required paperwrok for registration of aThai Marriage. The registration you'll get the same day if you get there early enough.

For immigration you'll need 2 completed TM-7 forms, including pictures in the required size which are not the same as passport, 2 copies of your passport, both photo page, & entry visa stamp page. Then 25 photos of your living arrangements, the living, sleeping, kitchen areas, food in the fridge, clothes in the closets, shoes, enterainment equipment. You both must be in all photos, Then 2 pictures of you both pointing to the address or name of where you live. 2 photos of both directions of the street, Soi outside of where you live. Mount the photos on legal size plan paper 3 to a page where they will fit & make sure the camera you use has date stamp capabilities.

You will be required to draw a hand drawn map of the neighborhood, then have that copied there at the Jomtien Office. your wife will be required to wirte a letter in Thai stating she wishes to stay together with you as husband & wife. This can be completed before, so long as she doesn't sign or date it until it's witnessed by the agent. All this paperwork must be in the proper order though they won't tell you what that order is. Also you need proof of residence, lease agreemtent, rent receipts, it wouldn't hurt to a have a "Letter of Residency" the same whcih is required for a Thai drivers license, then of course you bank info. I use the Income Statement.

In the Jomtien Office there is only one agent at desk # 5 who processing married 'o' visa's, expect not to have everything she requires, all the copies required many of which will be returned to you serving not purpose other than to annoy you for the efford. She will not talk to you in English as I don't believe she can. But to avoid added complications I did not let her know I speak Thai. Once she has given you to her supervisor who will review your paperwork & stamp every page 3-4 times, you'll have to sign every document. Pay the fee, & she stamps another month extenstion in your passport. Married 'o' visa's are porcessed in Bangkok, on the return due date they will stamp the visa in your passport with the first 90 day report date.

I have been told that since a Thai marriage registration is required the process will be easier in yrs to come, since you should not have to prove yr after yr you are married. I am currently waiting for the return of my stamp from Bangkok, due back at Jomtien Imm Sept. 23, 2011. So I am doubtful that anything has changed.

If you chose to have a business do it all, Siam Legal offer all services for $825.00 USD last time I looked.

I can confirm the fat one is a rotten egg, in my case she demanded all info on my ATM card,

after i had passed all other additional "requirements",

and she needed to just delay my visa a couple of more days to invalidate my visa.

Edited by poanoi