Greensides Opinionated Map Of Chiang Mai

Blinky Bill

The Chiang Rai Google map, done by member svenivan, has become an excellent resource for locals in CR.

Google maps are public maps.

That means if we pin and post a link to Greenside's (excellent) map on CM, with his commentary and opinion.....pretty much anyone can get on and attach any additional place with their description as well. To reiterate, it will no longer be his map, it will be public.

It has worked in Chiang Rai because it is a close-knit community where pretty much every farang knows every other farang. And it is a small town. People seem to generally want to help other people there, and welcome newcomers. Little or no negativity, or business-bashing.

Chiang Mai is the second or third largest city in Thailand, with a very diverse spectrum of personalities, demographics etc.

I'm not sure if this would work in CM, but I will bring it up with the powers that be.

pretty much anyone can get on and attach any additional place with their description as well. To reiterate, it will no longer be his map, it will be public

Actually, I don't think that's true.

If Greenside choose to, his map will only be editable by himself. And I think it's already the case, even logged in my Google account, I can consult but I can't edit his map.

--edit--

And thanks to Greenside for his very informative and useful map. Hope you'll keep updating it.

Edited by TheWanderer

pretty much anyone can get on and attach any additional place with their description as well. To reiterate, it will no longer be his map, it will be public

If Greenside choose to, his map will only be editable by himself. And I think it's already the case,

That's correct. A public editable map could get screwed up pretty quickly.

Then I stand corrected.

The map in CR created by svenivan was public, and had a lot of problems with out of town advertisers, spurious location postings and descriptions.

It has been self-policed by the Chiang Rai community since these early transgressions.

If the map is to be edited solely by Greenside (ie non-public) then it probably would require some agreement between ThaiVisa and Greenside.

I will mention this as well in my request.

re ... Now we just need Dave2 to add his photos onto it.

nahhhh ... cannot

greensides a professional photographer who will do his own if he wants

im only an amatuer ... but i try : )

dave2

Yes, but we appreciate your photos when they are appropriate to a discussion. A simple photo saves a lot of explaining.

I like the idea of Greensides map being pinned somewhere. It's far easier than trying to post one of our own when some tourist wants to know where something is. It would be easy just to say some shop or restaurant is a block from a place that Greensides has listed.