Retired British Nationals In Thailand: The British Embassy Wants To Hear Your Views

Rimmer

Retired British Nationals in Thailand: the British Embassy wants to hear your views

The British Embassy Bangkok has recently launched a survey to learn more about the issues affecting retired British nationals living in Thailand.

The anonymous survey can be completed online at ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk or paper copies are available from the British Embassy Bangkok, or the British Consulates in Pattaya and Chiang Mai. The survey runs from 9 September to 2 October 2011.

The results from the survey will be used by the Embassy to better understand the needs of retired British nationals in Thailand, to identify ways to improve consular services, to help people prepare for moving to Thailand, and to try and improve awareness of services provided by local organisations throughout Thailand.

Full text HERE

-- PATTAYA DAILY NEWS 2011-09-10

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

I thought they recruited somebody on a short term contract about a year ago to carry out a similar exercise, I wonder what happened to that?

Maybe they don't really want to know, I followed the link http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-British-nationals/living-in-thailand/what-happens-when-you-retire

And got this :realangry:

404 Page Not Found

We are sorry. The page you are looking for cannot be found. It might have been removed, had its name changed, or may be temporarily unavailable.

You can return to the home page or see our travel advice, news, global issues, careers, blogs and contact us page

You can look through our archived content on The National Archives

Edited by theoldgit

Since when did the British Embassy ever have any interest in providing any form of assistance to British citizens? They are notorious for being unhelpful, mean and disloyal. More likely their objective with this survey has more to do woth working out how to take something or make life harder for its citizens abroad. Since they do nothing for their citizens why provide them with information?

I thought they recruited somebody on a short term contract about a year ago to carry out a similar exercise, I wonder what happened to that?

Maybe they don't really want to know, I followed the link http://ukinthailand....when-you-retire

And got this :realangry:

404 Page Not Found

We are sorry. The page you are looking for cannot be found. It might have been removed, had its name changed, or may be temporarily unavailable.

You can return to the home page or see our travel advice, news, global issues, careers, blogs and contact us page

You can look through our archived content on The National Archives

Worth every penny arn't they, bless them :blink:

Allthough the link provided in the Pattaya Daily News doesn't work, for me anyway, this one does http://ukinthailand....sR&id=653358582

I'm the first to complain about the lack of support from the British Embassy but I will complete the survey, I just wish they wouldn't refer to me as a customer.

But you are a customer, a very valued customer. Have you seen the price they charge for a passport renewal now?

I found the form ok.Started to fill it in ok.

But when it came to writing text in the pop-up box there was no response.

Maybe because I do not have MS Word and use Open Office? :blink:

So I gave up.

But at least they're trying :rolleyes:

FCO-BE log on to Thai Forum you will get a wealth of info about the feelings of US in Thailand. OR is it personal data info on record.

In their capacity they should have a fair Idea what the main wants of US -------------Start again to issue passports if you can find the time!! Put pressure on Thai Immigration to make retired ex pats-easier times on cat-0 visas/retirement visas. No reporting or 6 month reporting without leaving the kingdom. and essential 1000,sq mt plots of land similar to condo ( to own) stopping greedy foreign land grabbers. SIMPLE uncomplicated requests-and fair.

I would warn any ex pat Brits to be VERY careful answring those questions.

They say its anonymous but the questions are phrased in such a way that it would be very easy to see exactly who worte it unless you give a load of nonsense in which case whats the point.

There is more to this than meets the eye in my opinion.

They dont want your views they want to see how many pensions they can turn off or freeze and any potential tax dodgers etc.

Finding out whose where and what they have and perhaps how did they accomplish it.

So I gave up.

FCO-BE log on to Thai Forum you will get a wealth of info about the feelings of US in Thailand. OR is it personal data info on record.

In their capacity they should have a fair Idea what the main wants of US -------------Start again to issue passports if you can find the time!! Put pressure on Thai Immigration to make retired ex pats-easier times on cat-0 visas/retirement visas. No reporting or 6 month reporting without leaving the kingdom. and essential 1000,sq mt plots of land similar to condo ( to own) stopping greedy foreign land grabbers. SIMPLE uncomplicated requests-and fair.

Well said Ginjag, only thing I would add is give us the same pension rights that UK pensioners retiring in the EEC get, with an annual increase every year, instead of it being frozen. Personally I can't see this being more than a paper exercise.

They say its anonymous but the questions are phrased in such a way that it would be very easy to see exactly who worte it unless you give a load of nonsense in which case whats the point.

Oh you cynic, of course if you send the survey back as an email attachment that may give them a clue.

Maybe they are actually trying to improve their service.

Oh you cynic, of course if you send the survey back as an email attachment that may give them a clue.

Maybe they are actually trying to improve their service.

I'm with the cynics on this one

The less these pri erm i mean gentlemen know, the better, IMO

Once they stop looking at you like you were something they have trodden in, then, yes, by all means ask away. Doesnt mean i will answer, but at least i will feel like my monies to pay their inflated salaries isnt entirely wasted

So, for now, they can go shove their snoopery where the sun don't shine.

Penkoprod

So I gave up.

Well said Ginjag, only thing I would add is give us the same pension rights that UK pensioners retiring in the EEC get, with an annual increase every year, instead of it being frozen. Personally I can't see this being more than a paper exercise.

It's a laugh a minute aint it--if you return and inform them( ex 1 month ) they will give you the going rate for that period-and revert back to the earliest time and rate on return to Thailand.

All this bul###t about==not normally residing in the U.K. in some countries you get it..we worked for it--the tight sods. I wish it could be fought much more aggressively in the European court of appeal.

difference being civil service pension - you get the increments--OAP sod them. we save them money being here--no extra pay outs-no free t.v. license -no winter payments-no dental-not hospital-no doctors- and on and on................

difference being civil service pension - you get the increments--OAP sod them. we save them money being here--no extra pay outs-no free t.v. license -no winter payments-no dental-not hospital-no doctors- and on and on................

I'm a Civil Service Pensioner, and like many contributory pensions mine gets uprated in line with inflation, my state pension isn't. Have to agree with the rest of your comments though.

Edited by theoldgit

Always the most vocal and abusive muppets that run to the embassy ,for either some handholding or with ridiculous expectations.

Most expats understand that the choice to live here comes with some self responsibility ,for the paranoid posters on here I'm sure no one is really interested in our little life's in Thailand it's just a survey.

They dont want your views they want to see how many pensions they can turn off or freeze and any potential tax dodgers etc.

Finding out whose where and what they have and perhaps how did they accomplish it.

Right on.

The FCO couldn`t give a rat`s behind about the welfare of it`s citizens abroad.

This is about keeping tabs on British subjects for the reasons you mentioned, plus what we own and so on.

I prefer to keep a low profile, be left alone and my personal details not be available to all and sundry on an online people search website.

I already have the canons in place to greet the Google street view car when it ventures down my way.

Edited by Beetlejuice

Right on.

The FCO couldn`t give a rat`s behind about the welfare of it`s citizens abroad.

This is about keeping tabs on British subjects for the reasons you mentioned, plus what we own and so on.

I prefer to keep a low profile, be left alone and my personal details not be available to all and sundry on an online people search website.

I already have the canons in place to greet the Google street view car when it ventures down my way.

I wouldn't call over 1700 post since last year very low profile. Still, glad your life in the kingdom is helping to keep you calm. Must be all that meditation.:passifier:

Since when did the British Embassy ever have any interest in providing any form of assistance to British citizens? They are notorious for being unhelpful, mean and disloyal. More likely their objective with this survey has more to do woth working out how to take something or make life harder for its citizens abroad. Since they do nothing for their citizens why provide them with information?

If the British Embassy wishes to add any credibility to their suggestion that they want to hear our views, perhaps Mr. Asif Anwar Ahmad, our current Ambassador, would care to respond to the well-considered and constructed criticisms that I put in a letter addressed directly to him six weeks ago, and then give me the courtesy of a reply.

Essentially, I believe it is outrageous of the Emabassy to ask me to write out my own proof of residence details, come back the same afternoon and queue again for someone to sign the very document that I completed, date and stamp it, and then ask me for THB 2,750 for their trouble. Furthermore, to add insult to injury, when I informed the staff that I required two copies, I was advised that I needed to complete the form again, and that the total cost would be THB 5,500. Simply extortionate....!!

I wont be filling it in, they did not do the courtesy of replying to my email about a missing UK person who they were suppossed to have been sending home and I think they would try and track you down to see if they can take any more benefits off you ( not as if I am claiming any). They could start and lobby for pensions to be unfrozen,but, they wont do that will they. If I show up and ask for help I bet there is afee and thats where the customer bit comes in. They work for themselves, get their annual increases, treat you poorly and do as little as possible and that gentlemen is the British Embassy and its staff in a nutshell, not worth a monkeys w--k. They might as well F>O home and save the money their influence is 0. What influence do you think they have with the Thai government? The Queen would have a better chance and you know I bet they have some twerp monitoring all this, they dont need an on line survey, they just need to read comments on this sites.

Edited by exeter

ALL British government offices are very helpful as long as you meet the criteria.

1. Unemployed (preferably your whole working life).

2. Have a criminal record.

3. Have at least six kids by five different fathers.

4. Asylum seeker.

Note if you have worked all your life and contributed to the system then go away, we need your money for the above.

Tried to fill it in, the form didn't work properly, should have been a simple on-line one shouldn't it !

But they could do worse than start a thread on TV, and look at the responses, here are mine ...

1. I want to be able to renew my passport in the UK, at the cheaper locals-price, why am I not legally allowed to ?

2. I want to be able to drop-off my passport-renewal & fee at my local Consulate, why can't I ?

3. I want the same pension as the UK-based pensioners, I paid for it, I never said you could freeze it ! You can keep the bus-pass.

4. I want to thank the helpful local Consulate-staff here in Chiang Mai !

5. I want to be able to register my postal-vote, in UK national-elections, by popping-into my local Consulate, and showing my passport !

... Who is the MP representing us 5 million overseas British-citizens ?

6. Please stop all these riots, it embarrasses us overseas-Brits no-end, as people here think we're like that !

7. Get the British Pound-Sterling back up to a decent level again !

8. Tattoo "Prudence" on Gordon Brown's forehead, so he never forgets, I certainly never will !

9. Boris for Prime Minister, let's have some fun, in UK political-life ! It's all a joke anyway innit ?

10. Ban MPs from charging the nation for the duck-houses on their moats, it gives Thai MPs too many ideas !

Toodle Pip ! B)

Edited by Ricardo

I'm just guessing here but I get the feeling that everyone is very fed up and cross with the way we get treated just because we happen to live overseas, something certainly needs to change, maybe filling out the form will help change things for the better.

Allthough the link provided in the Pattaya Daily News doesn't work, for me anyway, this one does http://ukinthailand....sR&id=653358582

I'm the first to complain about the lack of support from the British Embassy but I will complete the survey, I just wish they wouldn't refer to me as a customer.

I'm not British but I filled it out and sent it to them anyway.