Best Ny Deli Style Cold Smoked Meats In Thailand

rafaelo

It's called Pickles and it's run by my friend Gary and his lovely Thai wife Ot and their son, Kevin.

The very best authentic cold smoked meats, ribs, corned beef (that will remind you of the good old days), pastrami, sausages, chorizo, with all the home made trimmings and bbq sauces , good pizza too and the best breads. and they are always coming out with something new. Gary really loves to eat and share his food.

Pickles off Chang Puak soi 6-7

Going North from CP Gate turn right at Soi 6, then left at first side ski, go up about 100yds, on Right hand side,

call Gary at:

089637 - 0835

enjoy and tell 'em Rafael sent you ;-)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is US style. Gary is an American.

The shop is a little hard to find the first time. If coming from the super highway down Chang Puak Rd or after U-turning at the traffic lights near the Rajabhat if coming from the moat, turn left at the soi with the Standard Chartered bank on the corner, left at the end of that soi and Pickles shop/restaurant is 10m on your right.

Here is a link to show it on Google Maps. Pickles

Is the chorizo real Mexican chorizo or a Thai-inspired version?

And if you know, is it fresh or dried?

In any case I'll be sure to drop in try them soon.

Thanks for the excellent directions.

i agree... the only real way to make mexican chorizo is with dried ground chili powders from mexico (or USA). I have friends bring many packets with them each visit and/or ship them to me once or twice a year. Thais don't seem to understand much about chili that is NOT hot... but still flavorful... and that is the essence of any good chorizo, enchilada sauce, relleno sauce, etc....

I have taken samples of my wife's chorizo to Rob SK and one day he might be inspired to start ordering the chili powders in bulk - YUM

Edited by zippydedodah

The tongue sandwich which I had on light rye w/spicy brown mustard was EXCELLENT, served by Ot, who was very helpful, friendly and really cared about the food and her rambunctious young son, equally friendly but a bit less helpful - LOL.

There is guy who imports and sells products like what some of the posters are talking about, I have a few big bags of Chipotle peppers from them. Has a line of hot sauces etc. and restaurant foods. Sorry forget his companies name but can find out if anybody is interested.

go try them out ;-) and they're lovely people who can use the support. it's challenging to start a business here in CM..

It's NY style food. they really care about the quality. and the bacon... is really delicious too. they smoke fresh every weekend and they will smoke custom for you if you tell them ahead of time what you want.

and authentic Vietnamese coffee too and home made cookies...

be for warned though. it's hard to leave there hungry biggrin.gif

go try them out ;-) and they're lovely people who can use the support. it's challenging to start a business here in CM..

It's NY style food. they really care about the quality. and the bacon... is really delicious too. they smoke fresh every weekend and they will smoke custom for you if you tell them ahead of time what you want.

and authentic Vietnamese coffee too and home made cookies...

be for warned though. it's hard to leave there hungry biggrin.gif

do they have the vietnamese civet cat coffee? YUMMMMMM

I'm heading out of town soon, so will need to go that way and thought I'd take a peek at what's on offer.

I called the number the OP gave, but no answer........anyone know what time it opens and closes?

Edited by uptheos

keos got it..

re .. turn left at the end of soi 7 and it's on the right hand side.

coming from chiang puak gate turn right by the bank which is soi 7

go to the end ... turn left and its 100 yards on your right

dave2.

ps ... i was there about 11 30 and it was closed ... i went back at about 1 30 and it looked as if they were just opening up

post-42592-0-86121700-1315837697_thumb.j

post-42592-0-96276600-1315837723_thumb.j

Gary kindly called back - I understand why he didn't answer today.

He said his hours of opening are 8am - 8pm.

I stopped by at 12:30 this afternoon but not open.

I'd recommend anyone venturing over to call Gary beforehand (0896370835), as opening times can be a bit erratic.

Gary kindly called back - I understand why he didn't answer today.

He said his hours of opening are 8am - 8pm.

I stopped by at 12:30 this afternoon but not open.

I'd recommend anyone venturing over to call Gary beforehand (0896370835), as opening times can be a bit erratic.

You mean like, make an appointment? unsure.gif

If a place says open from 8-8 and I'm passing during those hours and it's closed, I won't make a special trip back. It doesn't sound like good business sense, if a person wants to buy something at that moment, but the place may or may not be open. IMO this is the quickest way to lose customers.

Edited by uptheos

No, not to make an appointment, but to check that they will indeed be open. They're running a small operation which is still finding it's feet, and with a young child in the equation this means that the opening hours aren't exactly set in stone yet.

Fair enough though, if that's how you roll. Are you so cut-throat with other aspects of your life? If a friend is late for a casual rendezvous, or doesn't reply to an email, are they off the christmas card list FOREVER?!

No, not to make an appointment, but to check that they will indeed be open. They're running a small operation which is still finding it's feet, and with a young child in the equation this means that the opening hours aren't exactly set in stone yet.

Fair enough though, if that's how you roll. Are you so cut-throat with other aspects of your life? If a friend is late for a casual rendezvous, or doesn't reply to an email, are they off the christmas card list FOREVER?!

First quote is fair enough and you should have left it there, the second is ridiculous.