Best Ny Deli Style Cold Smoked Meats In Thailand

rafaelo

Passed it this morning, in anticipation, however closed. 2 telephone numbers pasted on the door to call if “assistance” required. Think OP will be better off posting again once the business is fully operational. At the moment potential customers will try once, maybe twice – after which they vow to never return. For me, going from Hang Dong to Chang Peuak is not next door after all.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Passed it this morning, in anticipation, however closed. 2 telephone numbers pasted on the door to call if "assistance" required. Think OP will be better off posting again once the business is fully operational. At the moment potential customers will try once, maybe twice – after which they vow to never return. For me, going from Hang Dong to Chang Peuak is not next door after all.

To be honest (IMO) a deli is often a place that you often stop at on a whim when you're out and about and get a fancy for something to take home or eat for lunch etc. You go in, look at what's on offer and take in the smells and come away fulfilled. If it's not open most of the time, I would eventually start to question what are they actually selling, how long have they had it lying around etc, as the turnover must surely be slow. I agree with the above sentence "Think OP will be better off posting again once the business is fully operational".

8-8 really should mean that if business is going to survive.

This business is not new. It has been around for a while and I am pretty sure that it had a different name at one time. I remember it because a friend and I wanted to try it, but he said that he could never find it open.

He finally called the owner and was pretty much told that he would be best off making a "reservation" in order to make sure that someone would be there. We just forgot about the place after that as it was too inconvenient for a sandwich place.

Butter is Better has virtually the same offerings, however the food is excellent and they are always open during the daytime.

Two parents one child, three year old maybe you should consider sending his to a pre nursery (we did)

Your business should also be treat like a baby for it to develop and grow. At the moment the negative posts you are receiving re. opening hours will not help future business and saying that you are open 8 till 8 is not correct.

Good luck I think you will need it.

Edited by ChangMaiSausage

I stiopped in yesterday and enjoyed the most delicious pastrami on rye I've ever had, including in NY city. Got a corned beef to go and it was heavenly.

I gave up eating deli mets here in Thailand as everything is just water/saline injected and totally lacking in flavor. This place is the real deal. I think this publicity surprised the owner as he runs a pretty barebones retail trade and has more commercial customers. The run he's had these past few days I think has depleted his stocks and he's curing more meats due next week. I'll be there the day after it comes out of the smoker. They've also got pizza on the menu and if his quality control is anything like it is for the deli meats I'll be in for one of those in the meantime.

Seems to me the owner of this business could do with an employee. Surely giving a couple of hundred baht a day to someone to keep the shop open during opening hours is a necessity if the owners are too busy to do it themselves.

Fantastic marketing technique including a location that is so far off the beaten path, no one knows it's there. GM Sausage comes to mind in Sankampang and the place is packed every Sunday. I too was going to say that the Soup Nazi comes to mind but I won't.

Edited by Sojourner

Truly

A tried and true concept!

If I may, I think you're way off base with this "soup nazi" business. From my observations nothing could be further from the truth.

If he likes to spend time with his family it ise because he has his priorities straight. If he offers up this food for others it is because he loves making it and loves to see other people enjoying it. Have we all become so jaded that we can't see food as an expression of love anymore.?

Anyhow, that's the way it feels on the few visits I've made so far.

Visited Gary today and must say that after two failed attempts it was a wonderful surprise, not only as the food is concerned but also his and his wife’s attention. He is a loveable chap as he joined me while waiting for my delivery to mature. Obviously he wants to make his rather small establishment work and in such a forlorn dwelling it makes it rather difficult as it is not a location, location establishment. We had a very enjoyable chat while waiting for my food being prepared. If I may suggest he can, or have, a more balanced family life with his son going to school (financial affairs kick in to get kids to school - like most of us) or reducing his opening times somehow (like 11 till 2 and then again in the evening) After all who is going to eat New York Delis at 8 in the morning? I ordered 2 sandwiches to take out for lunch. One is the “salt beef” and another one the “tongue” The side orders included were pickles, and potato and coleslaw – all pretty prepared with napkins and toothpicks. Must say this is the first time I had napkins and toothpicks all cellophane wrapped and totally hygienic! The salt beef as well as the tongue sandwich on rye was impressive in size, no mean bit of meat there I must say. Taste was good, better than expected. The pickles were great. The potato salad as an accompaniment was too hard for my taste and I also am not a big fan of the cole slaw. Anyway, not sure if it necessary to have it included in the price; for me the sandwich is enough. And if that can give him a better ratio of costs/price maybe he can cut the price of the sandwich by excluding the “extras” . Each one was 200 Baht (all included, the potato, slaw, napkins etc.) I will return and next time will eat there and then, and chat with him as he as well as his wife makes one feel really welcome. Worth a try!

I have ordered Gary's products for more than a year now and absolutely love them.

The corned beef makes me feel I am at the Carnegie Deli in NYC.

His pastrami is spicy and delicious.

I recently ordered some ribs and bacon from him and they are great too.

My daughter loves the bacon.

Gary delivers these things to me when he down in Bangkok.

No reason why he can not ship EMS next day to anyone in Thailand

using dry ice to keep it fresh.

Thanks Gary for adding a bit of home to the life of this expat.

Cheers

I see the thread title with expectation, and will have to give it a try as I am sucker for these kind of cuts and quality items. But frankly, as much as I love the idea and would be a potential regular customer.. I am simply not going to book an appointment for a sandwich. Its as simple as that.

Just (potential) customer feedback.. I can handle out of the way, for the good stuff, but you have to either be open or not open. If you have a kid or not is (being harsh I admit) none of my biz as a customer who may want a product. Limit the opening hours, take on a staff member, or change the child care setup to have a hope of a deli sandwich place running sucessfully is my gut feel. Even down to 11 - 5 but being 100% open would I bet do better. Or even guarantee open 11 - 3 with appointments the rest, but there has to be a fixed schedule as the second time you go to a closed place, well it means you probably wont bother a 3rd and this is the ultimate 'repeat customer' kind of biz and location.

Good luck.. I hope the above is received in the spirit its intended.

I see the thread title with expectation, and will have to give it a try as I am sucker for these kind of cuts and quality items. But frankly, as much as I love the idea and would be a potential regular customer.. I am simply not going to book an appointment for a sandwich. Its as simple as that.

Just (potential) customer feedback.. I can handle out of the way, for the good stuff, but you have to either be open or not open. If you have a kid or not is (being harsh I admit) none of my biz as a customer who may want a product. Limit the opening hours, take on a staff member, or change the child care setup to have a hope of a deli sandwich place running sucessfully is my gut feel. Even down to 11 - 5 but being 100% open would I bet do better. Or even guarantee open 11 - 3 with appointments the rest, but there has to be a fixed schedule as the second time you go to a closed place, well it means you probably wont bother a 3rd and this is the ultimate 'repeat customer' kind of biz and location.

The point you're missing is that it is a business that is already running successfully. I think you're overstating the effort one needs to make to eat at this place.

I appreciate the input. We are toying around with the possibility of changing our business hours. eg. Monday-Friday 9-4, Saturday 10-6 or 8, and closed Sunday. What do you think??

Really as long as its fixed and made clear then its workable.. Even if you know its only 11 - 3 or whatever your peak hours are.

The point you're missing is that it is a business that is already running successfully. I think you're overstating the effort one needs to make to eat at this place.

I guess what I was trying to say was, in my opinion is that to get to a point of successful biz operation, to get and retain repeat regular customers (which it has to have in its location) there needs to be some kind of fixed schedule. Doesnt matter how superb the product if its inconvenient to buy, for what is basically a convenience food, your turning away business.

Grabbing a sandwich is what I do on the run, its a whim, its 'hmm I am a bit hungry what shall I grab' I dont plan stuff like that as if I am booking a sit down meal, which I would probably be going to with others. Maybe its just me but phoning ahead to schedule a sandwich appointment ?? Just not happening.

I really wish the venture all success and look forward to trying it.. Just no point beating around the bush.

Edited by LivinLOS

I guess what I was trying to say was, in my opinion is that to get to a point of successful biz operation, to get and retain repeat regular customers (which it has to have in its location) there needs to be some kind of fixed schedule. Doesnt matter how superb the product if its inconvenient to buy, for what is basically a convenience food, your turning away business.

Grabbing a sandwich is what I do on the run, its a whim, its 'hmm I am a bit hungry what shall I grab' I dont plan stuff like that as if I am booking a sit down meal, which I would probably be going to with others. Maybe its just me but phoning ahead to schedule a sandwich appointment ?? Just not happening.

I really wish the venture all success and look forward to trying it.. Just no point beating around the bush.

Watch that bush.

They serve by the cup and the beans at two Doi Chang locations in CM, one in Airport Central

go try them out ;-) and they're lovely people who can use the support. it's challenging to start a business here in CM..

It's NY style food. they really care about the quality. and the bacon... is really delicious too. they smoke fresh every weekend and they will smoke custom for you if you tell them ahead of time what you want.

and authentic Vietnamese coffee too and home made cookies...

be for warned though. it's hard to leave there hungry biggrin.gif

do they have the vietnamese civet cat coffee? YUMMMMMM

Edited by junglechef