Ktm 200 Duke

Hili

SEA Bike market seems to get more interesting. Just google for "ktm 200 duke malaysia"

Quote from hell for leather

KTM's Duke-based world domination plans continue apace. Marked by the attendance of the Malaysian Prime Minister, the Austrian brand just launched a new-model Duke in Kuala Lumpur. The KTM 200 Duke will be priced lower than the Kawasaki Ninja 250 and Honda CBR250R in that market and develops 22bhp, a marked upgrade from the 125's 15bhp.

i like, would be a nice city hopper i guess. Hopefully its coming here.

post-77479-0-52977600-1315752345_thumb.j

Edited by Hili

Unfortunately what is available and at a reasonable price in Malaysia has not historically affected what is available to us in Thailand. Malaysia has everything. We have Kawasaki, sort of. The fact that it is sub-250cc might give it a chance as there is currently a 250cc or less free trade agreement in effect, but I don't think it includes European bikes.

Some better pics.

KTM_Duke_200_4.jpg

KTM_Duke_200_1.jpg

KTM_Duke_200_2.jpg

Edited by ScubaBuddha

The KTM Duke 200 is made by Bajaj Auto, which is a Indian company. Several ASEAN countries, including Thailand and Malaysia, have a free-trade-agreement with India which also includes motorcycles with a engine size smaller than 250cc. Bajaj Auto is using the free-trade-agreement for some time now to import Kawasaki Ninja 250R into India.

The KTM Duke 200 is made by Bajaj Auto, which is a Indian company. Several ASEAN countries, including Thailand and Malaysia, have a free-trade-agreement with India which also includes motorcycles with a engine size smaller than 250cc. Bajaj Auto is using the free-trade-agreement for some time now to import Kawasaki Ninja 250R into India.

Interesting as Bajaj Auto imports the Ninja 250R as a CKD...why would they need to do that except to avoid high taxes? I'm not saying that Thailand and Malaysia won't allow proper importation of Indian bikes, but it doesn't look like India's playing fair.

Interesting as Bajaj Auto imports the Ninja 250R as a CKD...why would they need to do that except to avoid high taxes? I'm not saying that Thailand and Malaysia won't allow proper importation of Indian bikes, but it doesn't look like India's playing fair.

The Kawasaki Ninja 250R is exported to India as CKD to take the most advantage of the cubic space inside the sea-containers. Also the India Ninja 250R is not 100% the same as in Thailand, a small example the Indian Ninja 250R has a special construction to prevent the clothing of female pillion riders to be caught by the rear wheel...Also some parts of the front fairing is made in India to include braces to attach the front license plate.

wow, in less then 10 posts you guys have managed to go from talking about the KTM (which hopefully will come here) to Kawasakis way of sending bikes to India, trade agreements, and female clothing protection constructions...

Cant we talk more about that KTM?

I have seen that KTM is advertising in some Thai bike magz, where is their dealer?

Has anyone spoken to them? Any contacts there?

Any more rumors about the bike? Not indian girls cloths (though that is interesting but should be in another thread...

wow, in less then 10 posts you guys have managed to go from talking about the KTM (which hopefully will come here) to Kawasakis way of sending bikes to India, trade agreements, and female clothing protection constructions...

I have seen that KTM is advertising in some Thai bike magz, where is their dealer?

Any more rumors about the bike? Not indian girls cloths (though that is interesting but should be in another thread...

If you seen it advertised, what's the prize? Can't you get you GF to translate it for you?

Indian girls, hmm yes some stunner's out there, but most have a body like a potato bag :D , oh shit off topic again :ph34r:

The Kawasaki Ninja 250R is exported to India as CKD to take the most advantage of the cubic space inside the sea-containers. Also the India Ninja 250R is not 100% the same as in Thailand, a small example the Indian Ninja 250R has a special construction to prevent the clothing of female pillion riders to be caught by the rear wheel...Also some parts of the front fairing is made in India to include braces to attach the front license plate.

Odd as google searches indicate it is imported as a CKD to avoid high import taxes. I also don't understand why they would need a CKD to take advantage of space inside of sea-containers when simply removing the front forks, handlebars, and rear wheel get you the same cubic space if not slightly less since you don't have to store the engines seperately from the frames. Also it indicates here that CBU Ninjas are offered in India. However I will allow that perhaps you do know more current information and are right this time...

Yep, we are that good.

Sure we can talk about the KTM. Anyone seen it in person? Can they comment on build quality; i.e. is it up to the standards put forth by the parent company? Has anyone taken a test ride? Any idea on gearing or actual power? Is it similar to the Tiger Boxer?

I actually think that the last question is the most salient. The bike looks to put out similar power, offer a not too different riding position and a like engine. Looks like it could be a little lighter, and looks a bit more designed to be used in lite-off road situations. Cost is most likely going to be more, however there is a moritorium on new Tiger Boxers right now. Dealer and service situation is going to be an awful lot like Tiger's unless KTM devotes major dinero to get that network up off the ground. It will lose any race that's conducted on road to the Ninja and CBR. I've been told that Bajaj motors are nice and torquey, assumedly this bike would be the same. Biggest issue for most expats will be the suspension; this is being launched in India/SEA and there's a good chance it will be a while until the proper spring rates come out for *ahem* bigger people.

Sorry not clear enough about that advertisment, that was of the bigger KTM's, not this bike...

AND

I don't have a Thai GF (I need stimulationg conversations)... (Joking)...

I will try to find that add one more time and then I will call KTM myself... Hey, I could just google it...

It does look just like an ER6 from the front, would be nice if it was of a decent size too... But I see that they want 20000Ringit for it, that is just the same as the CBR according to my malaysian mate... Hmmm... Will try to find out more about this bike..

Seems like it would be lighter than both the Ninja and CBR 250, probably making it pretty competitive power wise, even though its only 200cc.

If it gets to Thailand at the right price point , count me in.

Seems like it would be lighter than both the Ninja and CBR 250, probably making it pretty competitive power wise, even though its only 200cc.

If it gets to Thailand at the right price point , count me in.

Ditto here...:D

Odd as google searches indicate it is imported as a CKD to avoid high import taxes. I also don't understand why they would need a CKD to take advantage of space inside of sea-containers when simply removing the front forks, handlebars, and rear wheel get you the same cubic space if not slightly less since you don't have to store the engines seperately from the frames. Also it indicates here that CBU Ninjas are offered in India. However I will allow that perhaps you do know more current information and are right this time...

Actually, we maybe both right, anyway the last time I had a conversation with somebody from Bajaj - they told me that they also opened an independent office in Thailand (they have of course a joint venture office and production facility with Kawasaki in Thailand).

Obvious I asked if we could see Bajaj motorcycles in Thailand anytime soon, and the answer was that similar to the Kawasaki Boss 175* we could maybe see Bajaj products with Kawasaki labels. Asking if Bajaj/Kawasaki will again introduce the Bajaj Avenger as a Kawasaki product (which is now a 220cc cruiser with twin-spark and overall a very modern product) I got the world famous Indian smile with a head movement which could both say yes and no...

Also a Bajaj Pulsar 220 DTS-i (a single-cylinder 4-valve 220cc) for the right price (70 to 80,000 THB) could be a good addition the bottom end of the Thai Kawasaki line-up.

* The Kawasaki Boss 175 was a Bajaj Motorcycle product.

Presenting the Duchess...

duchessd.jpg

BTW the pics that ScubaBuddha posted were that of the 125, the huge decal says so.

I' d still want one, but wouldn't want anyone to see me riding it. Kinda like a fat girl.

• Like 1

The KTM looks great, but is it's closest rival the D-Tracker 250 rather than the ER6? On the road it may be very similar the D-tracker?

And while we were talking about Indian women's clothes - it's a law in India that all bikes be fitted with a 'sari-guard', although many importers and local companies (Royal Enfield for example) often ignore the law for all excpet their base commuter models.

But back to the KTM ... there should be a law to ensure that they all come in orange and black, with maximum penalties being reserved for anyone seen riding a pink one.

The KTM looks great, but is it's closest rival the D-Tracker 250 rather than the ER6? On the road it may be very similar the D-tracker?

And while we were talking about Indian women's clothes - it's a law in India that all bikes be fitted with a 'sari-guard', although many importers and local companies (Royal Enfield for example) often ignore the law for all excpet their base commuter models.

But back to the KTM ... there should be a law to ensure that they all come in orange and black, with maximum penalties being reserved for anyone seen riding a pink one.

All motorcycles in India come with a Saree-guard, but most owners do not know how fast they have to remove it... and I honestly cannot blame them...

post-12170-0-49648200-1315822575_thumb.j

Sorry not clear enough about that advertisment, that was of the bigger KTM's, not this bike...

AND

I don't have a Thai GF (I need stimulationg conversations)... (Joking)...

I will try to find that add one more time and then I will call KTM myself... Hey, I could just google it...

It does look just like an ER6 from the front, would be nice if it was of a decent size too... But I see that they want 20000Ringit for it, that is just the same as the CBR according to my malaysian mate... Hmmm... Will try to find out more about this bike..

Roughly 10 bht to the ringit so near the 200,000 bht mark. Expensive for a 200.