John Cooley Has Left Us

Flatouthruthefog

A prominent figure on the amateur music scene of Chiang mai for many years, John passed away about 2 weeks ago.

Perhaps the biggest event for which he was known was a production called 'Hat's Off!' at the former Gong Dee Gallery, Nimmanhemin soi 1, some years ago. He and pianist Sid Richardson were extremely talented at getting the best out of amateur singers.

Don't fret about missing the funeral. One of his wishes was that only a very small number of friends be invited and there should be no publicity.

I think sufficient time has gone by to respect that, yet quietly inform the very many here who appreciated his talents and commitment.

Spade Cooley had a son named John. Is this the same person?

I forgot to add that Spade Cooley was a popular western band leader on TV in the 50s, so it is quite likely this John Cooley in the music business could be a band leader/violin player's son.

I forgot to add that Spade Cooley was a popular western band leader on TV in the 50s, so it is quite likely this John Cooley in the music business could be a band leader/violin player's son.

Do you any other reason to believe that -- except Spade Cooley had a son named John and this gentleman's name was John Cooley? I did a search on Spade Cooley. That's quite story and family "secret" to keep.

If he was not the son, you should not guess that he might have been IMHO.