First Renewal Of Retirement Visa

Last year, with the able assistance of some of the participants of this forum, I succeeded in converting from a diplomatic (F) visa to a retirement visa. My first year expires in early November.

Is there a simple summary of what forms/documents I will need for my first renewal, how much in advance should I initiate the process, and is the extension completed "while I wait" at Immigration?

I live in BKK and use the facilities at Chaeng Wattana.

Tks much for your help, the more specific the better...

S.

Proof of financials is all that is really required. You should have some way to prove address if asked but it is not a normal question. Copy of passport data page/visa/extensions and arrival card. TM.7 form with 4x6cm photo taken within last six months. 1,900 baht fee (and fee of re-entry permit if you want). Done within minutes plus queue time. Do during last 30 days of current permitted stay.

Embassy letter for income should be as current as possible but not set figure - I would make it within month in Bangkok (actually do same or next day myself). You should have paperwork to support income figure in case asked (not normally asked).

Bank letter previous day with update from ATM/passbook same day (most banks have branch on ground floor) if using deposit method. Money in account previous 3 months for renewal. Copy of passbook/pages for the year.

Proof of financials is all that is really required. You should have some way to prove address if asked but it is not a normal question. Copy of passport data page/visa/extensions and arrival card. TM.7 form with 4x6cm photo taken within last six months. 1,900 baht fee (and fee of re-entry permit if you want). Done within minutes plus queue time. Do during last 30 days of current permitted stay.

Embassy letter for income should be as current as possible but not set figure - I would make it within month in Bangkok (actually do same or next day myself). You should have paperwork to support income figure in case asked (not normally asked).

Bank letter previous day with update from ATM/passbook same day (most banks have branch on ground floor) if using deposit method. Money in account previous 3 months for renewal. Copy of passbook/pages for the year.

Perfect, thanks Lop. Do I need both the embassy letter (I'll get from UN) and bank statement? I can qualify either way, but wonder if they are both needed.

Cheers,

S.

It depends on what you are using for financial proof. You can use 65k per month income or 800k in bank account 3 months or a combination to meet 800k per year. So Embassy letter required for 65k or bank letter for 800k in account or both if using both.

The UN is not an Embassy - you have US passport so would need to use US Embassy for letter I suspect.

Perfect, thanks Lop. Do I need both the embassy letter (I'll get from UN) and bank statement? I can qualify either way, but wonder if they are both needed.

Cheers,

S.

You said it yourself "Do I need both the embassy letter" which means embassy not UN. By the way, when visiting your friendly US embassy bring CASH! (USD or the coin of the realm) Ain't no free rides!:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I extended my retirement visa today. U.S. embassy at 7:30 am. Took 1/2 hour. Taxi to Chiang Wattana, extended visa, filed 90 day report and finished at 10 am.

I no longer need bank letter, butI was told also that bank letters could be obtained in the same building as immigration. That used to take a day due to having to go to main BKK branch, fill out forms and return in afternoon to pick up signature. Now my 2 day ordeal is down to 3 hours.

They have taken a complicated extension process and made it simpler. But have taken the simple 90 day reporting process and made it complicated. Mail in from now on.

Go Thailand.