Thai Establishment Fears A More Open And Democratic Society

webfact

Five years ago, on September 19, 2006, the military staged a coup that overthrew the elected government of Thaksin Shinawatra.

Objection, your honour.

Sustained.

interesting viewpoint, hopefully now certain posters will also accept that the recent Dem government was not elected

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The role of the establishment in causing problems rarely gets mentioned in the English language media (unlike Thai language which is a lot more balanced) who fixate only the Thaksin role. This is probably not surprising considering the ownership of the English language media and that it is aimed at a higher income English speaking Thai group. Interesting to see this change to a little more balanced opinion. This conference will be interesting for anyone with an open mind and who isnt fixated on the standard memes and viewpoints. Hopefully his invite to the establishment will be taken up.

An interesting point : who read the english language newspapers (I guess you're talking about the local ones). You said they aim at english speaking Thais. A lot of my Thai friends are fluent in english, none of them read the english local newspapers.

What do they try to achieve ? I really don't know. I just know if you watch the Thai TV and read the Thai newspapers (with the exception of Sondhi's hate media) , you get a completely different picture that the one you get from reading the english local press.

I have to add that I am disappointed by the position of Thai Visa, who instead of using its resources to give us a more broad view of the Thai press by translating the Thai press and Thai TV, stick by just reposting the very oriented and distorted view of the local english press and Sondhi's (TAN) media.

Very good point in your last paragraph. I am learning Thai now, but as of today,I am completely blocked out many information sources by my lack of Thai skills. ThaiVisa could do foreigners a service in this regard. (they do a nice job in the learning Thai forum, so kudos).

interesting viewpoint, hopefully now certain posters will also accept that the recent Dem government was not elected

After the 2007 elections we had THREE governments based on a single general election. PM Samak and PM Somchai with PPP as main party, PM Abhisit with Dem's as main party. All based on the same election. Jusst like now after a new general election we have the always smiling PM Yingluck with Pheu Thai as main party.

Amazing that the Nation printed anything remotely, possibly balanced about Thaksin and the old establishment. Unusually its just more of the red are thugs stuff.

This author writes pro Thaksin articles non stop that are published in the Nation, and every time he writes one people are shocked that The Nation printed it.

Are you saying that now PTP is in power, we should forget how they achieved it?

They were elected by popular mandate in a general election. You have obviously forgotten this.

I have not forgotten the election, nor the violence in the lead up to it - or the fact that men in red shirts were the main perpetrators.

the fact that men in red shirts were the main perpetrators.

Really? that is a "fact" ...

Lots of opinion presented as fact.

IMO, if Thailand fears democracy it's because of the nature of democracy in Thailand. Thailand has much to fear at this stage, but not from true democracy, quite the opposite.

Agree, this guy was interviewed regularly on Channel News Asia in Singapore, last year during the riots.

His comments were far from balanced and it was clear he was much more red than neutral.

They were elected by popular mandate in a general election. You have obviously forgotten this.

I have not forgotten the election, nor the violence in the lead up to it - or the fact that men in red shirts were the main perpetrators.

Of course not. Those lovable red-shirts were 'peaceful protesters, not terrorists'. Mind you personally I have some doubts about a dozen of UDD leaders, those who are now Pheu Thai party list MPs. maybe I've been watching PTV broadcasts too much ;)

Amazing that the Nation printed anything remotely, possibly balanced about Thaksin and the old establishment. Unusually its just more of the red are thugs stuff.

This author writes pro Thaksin articles non stop that are published in the Nation, and every time he writes one people are shocked that The Nation printed it.

Just as an observation, people on this forum who "hate" Thaskin, tend (IMO) to not recognize the difference between a pro-Thaskin and an anti-coup perspective. (sorry DP25, that may not apply to you, I wouldn't know, just responding to this particular comment about a general TVF observation I have... being personally anti-coup, but not pro-Thaskin... )

I would say this opinion piece is anti-coup.

BTW, extracting his opinion from the text, his historical time-line and power/influence relationships seem to be OK.

Those who decry Thaksin's cronyism and unsavory friends should remember the past 60 years other political parties' cronyism and unsavory friends. We see the condition of the "average Thai" after those 60 years.

Maybe Thaksin's brand of corruption can do better.

Certainly anyone's preferable to that buffoon Sondhi.

When was Sondhi the prime minister for 7 years out of those 60?

He was just the front man for the puppet masters that really, really like the way things have been.

Of course not. Those lovable red-shirts were 'peaceful protesters, not terrorists'. Mind you personally I have some doubts about a dozen of UDD leaders, those who are now Pheu Thai party list MPs. maybe I've been watching PTV broadcasts too much ;)

oooooh, turn off that TV :)

BTW, Protesters are not terrorists. That word is far too over-used in our world today, and people here like to throw it around a lot.

Protesters may be peaceful or violent.

Five years ago, on September 19, 2006, the military staged a coup that overthrew the elected government of Thaksin Shinawatra.

Objection, your honour.

Sustained.

It is called a parliamentary system. Look it up.

Just as an observation, people on this forum who "hate" Thaskin, tend (IMO) to not recognize the difference between a pro-Thaskin and an anti-coup perspective. (sorry DP25, that may not apply to you, I wouldn't know, just responding to this particular comment about a general TVF observation I have... being personally anti-coup, but not pro-Thaskin... )

I would say this opinion piece is anti-coup.

BTW, extracting his opinion from the text, his historical time-line and power/influence relationships seem to be OK.

Proud Thaksin hater since 1998. Saw this guy coming a mile off even then.

I'm no bandwagon jumper.

Those who decry Thaksin's cronyism and unsavory friends should remember the past 60 years other political parties' cronyism and unsavory friends. We see the condition of the "average Thai" after those 60 years.

Maybe Thaksin's brand of corruption can do better.

Certainly anyone's preferable to that buffoon Sondhi.

When was Sondhi the prime minister for 7 years out of those 60?

He was just the front man for the puppet masters that really, really like the way things have been.

ok, so an alleged front man for the ever-changing, ill-defined "puppet masters" that was never PM is far worse than a despotic PM himself.

uhmmm... if you say so. :rolleyes:

Edited by Buchholz

Objection, your honour.

Sustained.

Dear Samran,

Just wondering whether your wasting your breath on this point.

Because there are many who don't accept abhisit's legitimacy simply because they don't want to accept it and nothing more. But of course they never make the same comments about samak and somchai who came to the PMs seat through the same process.

ok, so an alleged front man for the ever-changing, ill-defined "puppet masters" that was never PM is far worse than a despotic PM himself.

Actually, not ever-changing and are "ill-defined' because the rules say it can't be talked about, therefore cannot be defined.

Objection, your honour.

Sustained.

AFAIR Thaksin called a snap election in 2006 in which the Democrats did not take part.

This was from Google giving 515,xxx results so I chose one from New Zealand and nothing to do with the Thai press.

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL0604/S00075.htm

Thailand's PM Thaksin Shinawatra Resigns

Thursday, 6 April 2006, 7:10 am

Article: Richard S. Ehrlich

by Richard S. Ehrlich

BANGKOK, Thailand -- Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra resigned on Wednesday (April 5), and appointed a loyal colleague, to end anti-Thaksin street protests before the June arrival of the world's kings, queens and other royalty to honor Thailand's revered monarch.

Thaksin named Justice Minister Chitchai Wannasathit, who is also a deputy prime minister and former police general, as this Southeast Asian nation's interim prime minister.

Chitchai, 59, received a Ph.D. in Justice Administration in 1976 from the University of Louisville, Kentucky, according to his official biography.

Chitchai, considered a close friend of Thaksin, has extensive police experience including previous posts as Immigration Commissioner, Secretary-General of the Narcotics Control Board, and Interior Minister.

"I have appointed Chitchai to do my work from now on. I need to rest," Thaksin told the nation on Wednesday (April 5).

"It's not that I'm not willing to fight, but when I fight, the nation loses," Thaksin said.

"I don't need to see bloodshed among Thais. Thai blood must not paint the land of Thailand."

Thais cautiously welcomed Thaksin's solution to the past two months of anti-Thaksin street demonstrations, amid speculation he may manipulate the country behind the scenes, or stage a comeback after June.

His enemies, led by Bangkok's middle class, academics, leftists and turncoat cronies, cheered Thaksin's downfall.

Thaksin's supporters, including many in the impoverished countryside who enjoyed his government's inexpensive health care, cheap loans and other welfare, expressed dismay.

Thaksin insisted his family did nothing wrong by using off-shore accounts to sell their telecommunications empire, Shin Corp., for 1.8 billion U.S. dollars, tax-free, to the Singapore government's investment wing, Temasek Holdings, in February.

Critics said he abused his position, after spending the past five years as prime minister muzzling the media, crippling institutions involved in good governance, and running Thailand as if it were his private corporation.

Thaksin's unsmiling wife and three adult children listened to his televised resignation speech on Tuesday (April 4) night at his Government House office, alongside other supporters.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to apologize to all of you for my decision not to accept the prime minister's job," Thaksin said on Tuesday (April 4), linking his departure with an altruistic quest to protect the king.

"This is because this year is very auspicious for the Thai people, as His Majesty the King is to celebrate the 60th anniversary of his accession to the throne on June 9," Thaksin said.

"Royal guests -- kings and queens from all over the world -- are to join the celebrations, but the protests have continued," he said, referring to 100,000 people who have been snarling Bangkok's streets, demanding Thaksin quit.

King Bhumibol Adulyadej, born in Massachusetts, is widely worshipped by Thais who look to the constitutional monarch during extreme political disputes, trusting his guidance to restore peace.

Thaksin's resignation speech on Tuesday (April 4) came hours after his visit to King Bhumibol.

It was not clear what intervention, if any, the king played in Thaksin's departure.

In 1992, the king helped bring an end to bloodshed in Bangkok by calling on a coup-installed dictator, and a pro-democracy leader, to stop fighting after the military opened fire on protestors, killing at least 50 people.

That 1992 televised broadcast became an inspirational icon for Thais, and is often invoked as a pristine, moral high point.

Thaksin, in his Tuesday (April 4) announcement, referred twice to the king's 1992 speech, and quoted the monarch's warning at that time about how "the country will lose" if Thailand wallows in political chaos.

Thaksin's resignation came after his Thai Rak Thai (Thais Love Thais) party won about 16 million votes in a nationwide election on Sunday (April 2).

Thaksin had called the snap election after winning 19 million votes in February 2005, and hoped Sunday's poll would prove he was still popular despite his family's tax-free deal.

The three biggest opposition parties boycotted the election as a farce.

They told people to cast a "no" vote, so Thaksin's nominees would not muster a required 20 percent of the vote in constituencies where they ran as the only candidates.

In an impressive anti-Thaksin slap, about 10 million people cast "no" votes, making at least 39 of Thaksin's candidates ineligible to take their seats in Parliament.

Parliament should have all 500 seats filled before the prime minister can form a government. Before the election, Thaksin's party held 375 seats.

Fresh elections were scheduled for April 23 in those 39 constituencies, so Parliament can meet and appoint a new prime minister.

Leery opposition politicians indicated they would not participate in by-elections for the 39 seats, and may hold out for fresh nationwide election, because they want a bigger slice of Parliament.

They scheduled a mass rally in Bangkok for Friday (April 7).

Edited by billd766

Actually, not ever-changing and are "ill-defined' because the rules say it can't be talked about, therefore cannot be defined.

It's amazing how much talking is done about what "can't be talked about"... :rolleyes:

but whatever, it's just whatever it is that someone wants it to be. A shadowy, elusive definition with some vague reference to what ever it suits whomever mentions it.

It's easy to simply blurt out "puppet master"... and whatever that means, it's supposed to be far worse than an actual named person with a plethora of transgressions.

Dear Samran,

Because there are many who don't accept abhisit's legitimacy simply because they don't want to accept it and nothing more. But of course they never make the same comments about samak and somchai who came to the PMs seat through the same process.

you are probably right. But, you never know. Some people seem to think that Thailand has a presidential system of government - and base their opinions on illegitimacy on that misconception.

Australian politics, which I'm also interested in, has the same problem with the current government being a minority government, and despite having the support of minor parties and independent MP's, many people in Australia still think the government in unelected and illegitimate.

Moron's everywhere. Occasionally hope to educate a few.

Dear Samran,

wasting breath is one thing, being accurate is another.

There are some on the forum who accept the reality that Abhisit came to power through maneuvers within the Thai society that leveraged the rules of parliament, but one cannot from the outside consider the manner in which he came to power to be "democratic", only that it technically followed the rules of the system. This is, naturally, where some people call into question the legitimacy of the Abhisit gov't.

Summary :

Technically, the Democrats formed a coalition government and Abhisit became the PM.

Technically, the Democrats never won and election and then formed a gov't in this past decade.

These statements are not contradictory.

Dear Samran,

There are some on the forum who accept the reality that Abhisit came to power through maneuvers within the Thai society that leveraged the rules of parliament, but one cannot from the outside consider the manner in which he came to power to be "democratic", only that it technically followed the rules of the system. This is, naturally, where some people call into question the legitimacy of the Abhisit gov't.

I'd be in agreement with you if at the end of the day the democrats refused to call and election and used their 'mysterious' power brokers to allow them to stay in government forever.

Fact is that they called an election (a year earlier than they had to) and then handed power over peacefully to those who won the election. And that is democracy, when those in power relinquish it, and do so within the mandated timeframe.

Only then can you make a call on the entire episode.

I won't make a call yet, but the PT/TRT mob have form on this issue, and they don't like losing.

The role of the establishment in causing problems rarely gets mentioned in the English language media (unlike Thai language which is a lot more balanced) who fixate only the Thaksin role. This is probably not surprising considering the ownership of the English language media and that it is aimed at a higher income English speaking Thai group. Interesting to see this change to a little more balanced opinion. This conference will be interesting for anyone with an open mind and who isnt fixated on the standard memes and viewpoints. Hopefully his invite to the establishment will be taken up.

An interesting point : who read the english language newspapers (I guess you're talking about the local ones). You said they aim at english speaking Thais. A lot of my Thai friends are fluent in english, none of them read the english local newspapers.

What do they try to achieve ? I really don't know. I just know if you watch the Thai TV and read the Thai newspapers (with the exception of Sondhi's hate media) , you get a completely different picture that the one you get from reading the english local press.

I have to add that I am disappointed by the position of Thai Visa, who instead of using its resources to give us a more broad view of the Thai press by translating the Thai press and Thai TV, stick by just reposting the very oriented and distorted view of the local english press and Sondhi's (TAN) media.

here here

A couple of sentences in this column really hit the mark "

"... the military and the old establishment together have further intensified the crisis. Violent confrontations have become normal events in Thailand."

" Throughout the past five years, the political stalemate that has shaken the nation - playing with the Thai people's emotions and deeply polarising our society - has unveiled so many dark secrets in politics. For one thing, it has revealed the anxiety on the part of the old establishment about a more open society. This has now clearly emerged as a threat to their power position. From this view, Thaksin is not really a menace to the Thai elite - an open political space is. "

What people really want today is put these five years behind them. If you read Thai forums, what real Thai people talk about in the social forums, you will realize they have moved on.

It's true that for the past five years, violent confrontation was becoming an "acceptable" way of solving political dispute. But Thai people realized they didn't solve anything and they were left footing the bill. Now, all they want is peace and reconciliation.

One more time, a couple of TV posters show they are out of touch with the realities of the country. It's not good for foreigners in Thailand. How long before the government realizes that a couple of foreigners still call for civil war and some even for murder and makes us all pay the price ? As guests in a democratic country we are of course entitled to express freely our opinion but it should be done in a moderate and balanced way.

Oz mick.. nothing proven who caused the mayhem. Lets wait for the name and shame committee to report back to government.

[

However inconvenient to you, your wife's extended family and the red shirts.

[

However inconvenient to you, your wife's extended family and the red shirts.

Nothin proven under 14 months of DEms government. lets wait for the dsi with PT in charge and please dont call foul if the verdict points the finger at a certain prime minister or deputy.

Objection, your honour.

Sustained.

The Democrats were elected. Why would anyone "accept" that they weren't?

And what has that got to do with the care taker government at the time of the coup?

Just as an observation, people on this forum who "hate" Thaskin, tend (IMO) to not recognize the difference between a pro-Thaskin and an anti-coup perspective.

The opposite also happens.

Anti-Thaksin = pro-coup = anti-poor = pro-establishment ... etc.

Summary :

Technically, the Democrats formed a coalition government and Abhisit became the PM.

Technically, the Democrats never won and election and then formed a gov't in this past decade.

These statements are not contradictory.

The PPP never won an election, yet they were able to form government. Were they illegitimate?

billd766

AFAIR Thaksin called a snap election in 2006 in which the Democrats did not take part.

This was from Google giving 515,xxx results so I chose one from New Zealand and nothing to do with the Thai press.

http://www.scoop.co....0604/S00075.htm

by Richard S. Ehrlich

BANGKOK, Thailand -- Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra resigned on Wednesday (April 5), and appointed a loyal colleague, to end anti-Thaksin street protests before the June arrival of the world's kings, queens and other royalty to honor Thailand's revered monarch.

Thaksin named Justice Minister Chitchai Wannasathit, who is also a deputy prime minister and former police general, as this Southeast Asian nation's interim prime minister.

Chitchai, 59, received a Ph.D. in Justice Administration in 1976 from the University of Louisville, Kentucky, according to his official biography.

Chitchai, considered a close friend of Thaksin, has extensive police experience including previous posts as Immigration Commissioner, Secretary-General of the Narcotics Control Board, and Interior Minister.

"I have appointed Chitchai to do my work from now on. I need to rest," Thaksin told the nation on Wednesday (April 5).

"It's not that I'm not willing to fight, but when I fight, the nation loses," Thaksin said.

"I don't need to see bloodshed among Thais. Thai blood must not paint the land of Thailand."

Thais cautiously welcomed Thaksin's solution to the past two months of anti-Thaksin street demonstrations, amid speculation he may manipulate the country behind the scenes, or stage a comeback after June.

His enemies, led by Bangkok's middle class, academics, leftists and turncoat cronies, cheered Thaksin's downfall.

Thaksin's supporters, including many in the impoverished countryside who enjoyed his government's inexpensive health care, cheap loans and other welfare, expressed dismay.

Thaksin insisted his family did nothing wrong by using off-shore accounts to sell their telecommunications empire, Shin Corp., for 1.8 billion U.S. dollars, tax-free, to the Singapore government's investment wing, Temasek Holdings, in February.

Critics said he abused his position, after spending the past five years as prime minister muzzling the media, crippling institutions involved in good governance, and running Thailand as if it were his private corporation.

Thaksin's unsmiling wife and three adult children listened to his televised resignation speech on Tuesday (April 4) night at his Government House office, alongside other supporters.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to apologize to all of you for my decision not to accept the prime minister's job," Thaksin said on Tuesday (April 4), linking his departure with an altruistic quest to protect the king.

"This is because this year is very auspicious for the Thai people, as His Majesty the King is to celebrate the 60th anniversary of his accession to the throne on June 9," Thaksin said.

"Royal guests -- kings and queens from all over the world -- are to join the celebrations, but the protests have continued," he said, referring to 100,000 people who have been snarling Bangkok's streets, demanding Thaksin quit.

King Bhumibol Adulyadej, born in Massachusetts, is widely worshipped by Thais who look to the constitutional monarch during extreme political disputes, trusting his guidance to restore peace.

Thaksin's resignation speech on Tuesday (April 4) came hours after his visit to King Bhumibol.

It was not clear what intervention, if any, the king played in Thaksin's departure.

In 1992, the king helped bring an end to bloodshed in Bangkok by calling on a coup-installed dictator, and a pro-democracy leader, to stop fighting after the military opened fire on protestors, killing at least 50 people.

That 1992 televised broadcast became an inspirational icon for Thais, and is often invoked as a pristine, moral high point.

Thaksin, in his Tuesday (April 4) announcement, referred twice to the king's 1992 speech, and quoted the monarch's warning at that time about how "the country will lose" if Thailand wallows in political chaos.

Thaksin's resignation came after his Thai Rak Thai (Thais Love Thais) party won about 16 million votes in a nationwide election on Sunday (April 2).

Thaksin had called the snap election after winning 19 million votes in February 2005, and hoped Sunday's poll would prove he was still popular despite his family's tax-free deal.

They told people to cast a "no" vote, so Thaksin's nominees would not muster a required 20 percent of the vote in constituencies where they ran as the only candidates.

In an impressive anti-Thaksin slap, about 10 million people cast "no" votes, making at least 39 of Thaksin's candidates ineligible to take their seats in Parliament.

Parliament should have all 500 seats filled before the prime minister can form a government. Before the election, Thaksin's party held 375 seats.

Fresh elections were scheduled for April 23 in those 39 constituencies, so Parliament can meet and appoint a new prime minister.

Leery opposition politicians indicated they would not participate in by-elections for the 39 seats, and may hold out for fresh nationwide election, because they want a bigger slice of Parliament.

This post has been edited by billd766: Today, 13:24

Strange how the pro Thaksin posters many who have been in Thailand by their own admission for a short period of time didn't rise to the above excellent post. these new boys on the block might do well to look back at Thaksins record it might well open their eyes as to the true nature of Thaksin.

We long term residents here in Thailand well remember the spouting of how Thaksin was gong to solve Bangkoks traffic problem within six months, helicopters to be based at strategic junctions so as to be able to airlift vehicles that may have been causing traffic flow problems clear of the scene.

Thaksins attempts to control nay buy the Democrat party when he was a minister in the Democrat administration of the time, his subsequent action of throwing his rattle out of his pram when he didn't get his own way and the classic flouncing away from his duties which in fact he had no idea of how to perform.

Some things never change do they Thaksin?

So when you chaps that live in Isaan and love to go diving just like the average Isaan person does so very often and the chaps that wears the trousers in their houses as his wife lets him have had a few years here you might just well see the actual way that Thailand for all its perceived faults runs.

Many an armchair socialist who has the money to afford his or her principles have come to rue the day they espoused a very left leaning socialist policy.

Pray please can or would you be able to tell us, why you left your country of birth, dislike of the system or to engineer a political upheaval here in Thailand to liberate the masses to satisfy your own ego's ?

One wonders how many of you are really committed to Thailand with a wife children, an extended family network, property a business, twenty years here and that like many others is what I have, not starry eyed political ideals.

Pray tell us why did you leave your country of birth, dislike of the system or to engineer a political upheaval here in Thailand

Nothing wrong with Socialism provided all benefit not just one person and his family who are more than willing to sacrifice their supporters on the altar of money and absolute power.

Remember Castro the freedom fighter?

Once in power he revealed his true policy Communism, Pol Pot the same Mao Tse Tung , the rallying cry for the freedom of the people actually masked the cruel reality of totalitarian administration and the terrorism on the citizens of those '' workers paradises.

Edited by siampolee

Just as an observation, people on this forum who "hate" Thaskin, tend (IMO) to not recognize the difference between a pro-Thaskin and an anti-coup perspective.

The opposite also happens.

Anti-Thaksin = pro-coup = anti-poor = pro-establishment ... etc.

from your perspective, where does the "Thai-people-are-ignorant-gullible-and-too-stupid-to-vote-unless-paid" group fall? Are they pro-establishment, anti-poor, pro-coup, or anti-Thaskin?

Those are the ones that really get under my skin...

billd766

http://www.scoop.co....0604/S00075.htm

by Richard S. Ehrlich

This post has been edited by billd766: Today, 13:24

Strange how the pro Thaksin posters many who have been in Thailand by their own admission for a short period of time didn't rise to the above excellent post. these new boys on the block might do well to look back at Thaksins record it might well open their eyes as to the true nature of Thaksin.

We long term residents here in Thailand well remember the spouting of how Thaksin was gong to solve Bangkoks traffic problem within six months, helicopters to be based at strategic junctions so as to be able to airlift vehicles that may have been causing traffic flow problems clear of the scene.

Thaksins attempts to control nay buy the Democrat party when he was a minister in the Democrat administration of the time, his subsequent action of throwing his rattle out of his pram when he didn't get his own way and the classic flouncing away from his duties which in fact he had no idea of how to perform.

Some things never change do they Thaksin?

So when you chaps that live in Isaan and love to go diving just like the average Isaan person does so very often and the chaps that wears the trousers in their houses as his wife lets him have had a few years here you might just well see the actual way that Thailand for all its perceived faults runs.

Many an armchair socialist who has the money to afford his or her principles have come to rue the day they espoused a very left leaning socialist policy.

Pray please can or would you be able to tell us, why you left your country of birth, dislike of the system or to engineer a political upheaval here in Thailand to liberate the masses to satisfy your own ego's ?

One wonders how many of you are really committed to Thailand with a wife children, an extended family network, property a business, twenty years here and that like many others is what I have, not starry eyed political ideals.

Pray tell us why did you leave your country of birth, dislike of the system or to engineer a political upheaval here in Thailand

Nothing wrong with Socialism provided all benefit not just one person and his family who are more than willing to sacrifice their supporters on the altar of money and absolute power.

Remember Castro the freedom fighter?

Once in power he revealed his true policy Communism, Pol Pot the same Mao Tse Tung , the rallying cry for the freedom of the people actually masked the cruel reality of totalitarian administration and the terrorism on the citizens of those '' workers paradises.

It seems like your post at the end wants to imply that Thaskin is a socialist/communist... Is that really what you intended, or did I mis-read it?