Mae Jo Lantern Launch

zippydedodah

Now the CM mail issued a facebook statement saying:

Mae Jo Loy Krathong event for 2011

by Chiang Mai Mail on Thursday, September 15, 2011 at 4:50pm

The Loy Krathong event held every year at Wat Tu Dong, Mae Jo is scheduled for Saturday, October 29, 2011 from 1 pm to 8 pm.

THIS YEAR an Additional Festival DAY .....

On Wednesday, November 9th, This will be the first year of the International Loy Krathong Festival. The event will include transport from Chiang Mai pick-up point to Wat Tudong and return transport to the city. Participants will enjoy khantoke dinner plus a souvenir will be given to each person. The number of participants are limited to 1,000 persons. The cost of admission is US$100. (admit 2 persons.)

If you would like to receive the full information via your email, please send an SMS with your email address to Miss Neung at 083 540 4596.

SO...does this mean that the Nov 9 event is ONLY pay.. and no one else allowed in without forking over 100 USD?

I'm not sure why the announcement seems to have caused so much confusion on the prior thread addressing the multiple dates this year. Clearly if you want to do the same free annual event that you are used to seeing in the past - then show up 29 October 1300-2000 hrs. In prior years after action posts on tv I have seen frequent complaints about crowds, parking, traffic jams. Without being privy to insider information as to "WHY" there are 2 events this year, it is quite easy for me to assume that those in charge felt that for people willing to pay $100 (& only those, along with certain dignitaries free of course) the government would provide a second event for their benefit and without the headaches previously mentioned (crowds, parking problems, traffic jams).

Edited by OneZero

I'm not sure why the announcement seems to have caused so much confusion on the prior thread addressing the multiple dates this year.

Me either. This just reconfirms what was stated several times in the previous thread. No need to start a new one.

Previous topic here.

//Closed as redundant//