Is Thailand Still Cheap Place To Visit When Your Out There?

TAHISA

Im thinking going somewhere with the Mrs in May 2012 and have around 2k plus 500 spending. Thailand cost me 2K but wondering if 500 is enough 2 weeks spending as heard its very cheap but the pound is weak now. My other choice is Cuba but not sure on weather on both as well. Any info and examples on prces would be great

500 pounds is about 25,000 baht, so two people are going to try and get by on less than 2,000 baht per day, IMO no chance.

A half decent hotel will be at least 1,000 baht, so that leaves less than 1,000 baht for two people to eat and drink, entertain themselves, and do all the usual tourist stuff.

If you want to stay in a KSR flophouse and eat street food it may be possible.

What do you intend doing here?

Thailand is not very cheap.

agreed....thailand is the most expensive cheap place i have ever lived.....and its getting worse !!!

You are right there, when I pulled the pin and moved over 2 years ago, with the wife and 2 kids. Thought we would be rolling in money. Not so, it's just like before, bills, costs and no extra cash for fun. Only difference is I don;t get up and go to work. Jim

agreed....thailand is the most expensive cheap place i have ever lived.....and its getting worse !!!

You are right there, when I pulled the pin and moved over 2 years ago, with the wife and 2 kids. Thought we would be rolling in money. Not so, it's just like before, bills, costs and no extra cash for fun. Only difference is I don;t get up and go to work. Jim

It can be cheap here all depends on your standard of living. I came back to Holland after 6 years and the prices were a lot higher then they used to be. Everywhere prices are rising not just Thailand.

Here food and restaurants are cheap, transportation also cheap. Thing is because its cheap you do more and use more.Just try to do the same thing in your home country.

£35.00 per day for 2 people over 2 weeks on holiday in Thailand; no way.

I think you can treble that amount, which works out about 5000 baht per day, without having to count the pennies too much.

There are of course ways of spending more lower than that, but then, that wouldn`t be much of a holiday, would it?.

To the poster, Thahisa , you want to spend a first-of holiday in Thailand, I presume. Let me say , I would first try to check out on Thomas Cook and other relevant sites, how much a two week holiday is. Try to think yourself away from the "usual" UK holiday makers sites and try those of other Europena countries, You will find you can book a 12 day holiday in Thailand for two persons, for something like 2 x 850 Euros per person, including flight and accomodation. This is something like 1400 pounds Sterling for two , giving you much more value.

Most of these offers are for Hua HIn and/or Phuket or Jomtien Beach. As you apparently are a newbie, for a "first", you are welcomed in these places.

If you had asked is £2500 enough for a two week trip for two to Thailand I would say yes.

Flights and hotels should be under £1500 leaving £1000 spending money.

That's more like it.

It is but on that budget I'd look at an all inclusive in Cuba for two....or book flights only and ask for decent accomodation advice on here. If you want to visit Thailand you can have a great trip staying in places costing £30 a night for both of you.

Package deals can prove expensive for the resorts.

If you had asked is £2500 enough for a two week trip for two to Thailand I would say yes.

That's more like it.

It is but on that budget I'd look at an all inclusive in Cuba for two....or book flights only and ask for decent accomodation advice on here. If you want to visit Thailand you can have a great trip staying in places costing £30 a night for both of you.

I agree

Only I don't know how much flights cost to Thailand nowadays, but £30/ night should be plenty for accommodation.

I don't know squizzle about Cuba though

It all depends on you, what do you like to do can you just walk around and enjoy the sights or do you need to visit those places that cost money. It can be expensive and it can be cheap depends on you. If you need to drink very expensive. But 500lbs not enough no matter what.

I live in rural Issan and spend more than that just living> Jim

How do you do that ? When we are there, if it's only for living, I barely spend more than 100-200 Bahts a day, double if you include the gas for the car, but that's it.

PS : I don't pay rent but I don't think it will make such a big difference

Edited by JurgenG

How do you do that ? When we are there, if it's only for living, I barely spend more than 100-200 Bahts a day, double if you include the gas for the car, but that's it.

100-200 baht per day, wow.

That would be no internet, no cable tv and no beers, not saying it's impossible but jeeeez. Fair play to ya Jurgen, the best I could manage was around 18000 baht for the month and that was without rent.

£35.00 per day for 2 people over 2 weeks on holiday in Thailand; no way.

I think you can treble that amount, which works out about 5000 baht per day, without having to count the pennies too much.

There are of course ways of spending more lower than that, but then, that wouldn`t be much of a holiday, would it?.

5000 baht a day...you must a high roller whistling.gif

100-200 baht per day, wow.

That would be no internet, no cable tv and no beers, not saying it's impossible but jeeeez. Fair play to ya Jurgen, the best I could manage was around 18000 baht for the month and that was without rent.

i manage on about 25.000 a month.rolleyes.gif

2000 baht a month for rent on a 2 bed 1 bathroom bungalow

Water bill 180baht,

Electric bill 250 - 500

monthly payments on my truck 4500 baht which leaves me with about,,leaves me with about 18.000 baht.

which goes a long way if you keep away from lady bars rolleyes.gif

I stay for 5 months at a time in a Thai hotel in Chiang Mai and have been doing it for many years at the same place, so I get a monthly rate of only 4500 baht for a nice big room with a balcony and small fridge. I know many of my Thai lady friends pay under 3000 baht a month and share with other girls.

But, when I travel around Thailand I expect to pay around 400 to 500 baht per day for "reasonable" accommodation in a Thai hotel away from the popular areas of town. In Bangkok I am lucky to pay under 800 baht per night for an out of town hotel room. When I visit Pattaya to see my friends I stay at a hotel on #3 road (about 3 km from the beach) and it costs me 400 baht per night. But, I hire a motorbike for 200 baht a day to get around. I DON'T go to Phuket and I spend as little time in Bangkok as I have to. Both are over priced in comparison to everywhere else in Thailand.

I enjoy simple Thai cuisine and can survive on two meals a day for about 40 baht each. I supplement that with fruit.

The only thing that costs me any amount of money is my entertainment. If I sat on a beach all day I would hardly spend any money.

So, If I stayed in Thai hotels and paid by the night, and ONLY ate simple Thai meals, and did very little else I could get by on under 20,000 baht per month. But, I'm not sure that I would want to and I certainly wouldn't call it a "holiday".

That's more like it.

Absolutely.

I live in N.E. Thailand, went to Phuket for a few days to a nice hotel which turned out to be full of package holiday westerners and could not believe how they/me were being ripped off for stuff, beer 240 bht, 5 quid, glass red wine 350 bht, 7 quid. :bah:

BUT loads of cheap places where you will get help here. :)

How about a non tourist / authentic thai place like Chanthaburi (and surely many other places) ?

Excellent and plentifull seafood for about 120 baht per person, big beer (640 ml) from 55 to 80 baht, air con room less than 1 000 baht.

And almost no farangs to be seen.

Real Thailand.........

"Im thinking going somewhere with the Mrs in May 2012 and have around 2k plus 500 spending. Thailand cost me 2K but wondering if 500 is enough 2 weeks spending as heard its very cheap but the pound is weak now. My other choice is Cuba but not sure on weather on both as well. Any info and examples on prces would be great"

What currency are you talking about? Pounds/euros/dollars? Could make a difference in planning.

"Im thinking going somewhere with the Mrs in May 2012 and have around 2k plus 500 spending. Thailand cost me 2K but wondering if 500 is enough 2 weeks spending as heard its very cheap but the pound is weak now. My other choice is Cuba but not sure on weather on both as well. Any info and examples on prces would be great"

What currency are you talking about? Pounds/euros/dollars? Could make a difference in planning.

.."but the pound is weak now" - Comprendamente?