Poll Finds Thai Kids Start Smoking At 5, Drinking At 4

webfact

Poll: Drug Problem Reaches Critical Level

An ABAC poll has showed that the drug problem in Thailand has reached a critical level as kids as young as five are trying their first cigarette.

Director of ABAC Social Innovation in Management and Business Analysis Research Center at Assumption University, Noppadol Kannika, disclosed the results of a recent poll, which studied drinking, smoking and drug use among Thai teens and youths.

The survey was conducted among 12.25 million people aged between 12 and 24 from 17 provinces nationwide from August 15 to September 14.

The poll found that 20.7 percent of the respondents smoked and the lowest age at trying their first cigarette was five. Thirty-five percent of those surveyed drank alcohol and the lowest age in starting drinking was four.

Noppadol noted that the survey also suggested that young smokers are five times more likely than adults to abuse drugs while teens who drink alcohol are seven times more likely to take drugs than those who do not drink.

When compared with teens who have no problem, teens who have academic, financial or family problems are twice more likely to smoke, drink or use drugs while those who have relationship problems are three times more likely to become involved in these vices.

When asked how to address this problem, 90.5 percent suggested promoting positive quality of life among Thai youths, 83.6 percent suggested an economic reform, 83.3 percent said risky places for teens such as gambling dens and pubs must be shut down while 73 percent suggested a political reform.

As for other opinions, respondents said the public must have the right to express their opinions. They also commented that politicians are a bad role model as they think only of their personal gain.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-09-16

footer_n.gif

I think I was about 8 when I "smoked" my taid's [granddad's] cigarettes (that is, puffed without knowing what I was doing) in good ol' rural Wales.

Granted, I was 45 before I finally quit smoking, but really, smoking is a peer thing...nothing much to do with economics or urban/rural or male/female...but cutting out advertising probably helps a fair bit. If anyone has seen the TV series Mad Men, with smoking choking out the actors, you will wonder how on earth you could ever have started that filthy habit.

So according to this research 1/3 of the entire population is 12-24 years old. I think that they need to do a little research on populations statistics before falsifying their research.

Of course they don't mention how many people claimed to smoking or drinking at that age, just that it was the youngest. So out of an entire country perhaps only one person said that. Not anything to get upset about.

Articles like this is the reason why people don't believe statistics. This isn't news this is hype.

The survey was conducted among 12.25 million people aged between 12 and 24 from 17 provinces nationwide from August 15 to September 14.

Sorry am I reading this right they surveyed 12.25M people all within a 12 year age span across 17 provinces in 1 day short of a month?

Taken from Population Pyramid 2000

Age Male Female Totals (M's)

10-14: 1.4, 1.4, 2.8

15-19: 2.9, 2.9, 5.8

20-24: 3.5, 3.5, 7.0

15.6M

That works out to 78% of the total demography in 1 month. Impossible.

Anither fine example of yellow journalism created around a survey that presents very normal statistics. The headline sceams " Drug Problem Reaches Critical Level ", but there are no statistics presented about drug use. The smoking level of 20.47 % compares quite favorably with statistics from other countries -- for example a recent survey in USA pegged the number at 22%.

So why does the artilce bother to proclaim the extremes of 5 year olds trying a cigarette or 4 year olds sipping a bit of alcohol -- in the case of every day life, it's called curiosity. In the case of this article, it's called sensationalism.

Shame on TAN for disgraceful, distorted reporting --- and double shame on TV for regurgitating it. Yes, I know it increases numbers/profits -- is that all there is in life?

Edited by tigermonkey

Luckily it is only an ABAC poll. Another agency that loves to make up data that is not there. I bet that Noppadol Kannikais in need of attention. It must be his finest hour. Now we need to see the data, to see how he polled, where he polled, how scientific the respondents were selected or if mister Noppadol simply went into the local slump and polled over there. I bet that the poll is one piece of engineered rubbish.

Sorry am I reading this right they surveyed 12.25M people all within a 12 year age span across 17 provinces in 1 day short of a month?

15.6M

and they managed to do this while only polling in 22% of the provinces.

Luckily it is only an ABAC poll. Another agency that loves to make up data that is not there. I bet that Noppadol Kannikais in need of attention. It must be his finest hour. Now we need to see the data, to see how he polled, where he polled, how scientific the respondents were selected or if mister Noppadol simply went into the local slump and polled over there. I bet that the poll is one piece of engineered rubbish.

Perhaps the poll is, as you suggest ," engineered rubbish" , but it doesn't really matter since the reporting of it is fabricated and manipulated rubbish.

Edited by tigermonkey

I think I was about 8 when I "smoked" my taid's [granddad's] cigarettes (that is, puffed without knowing what I was doing) in good ol' rural Wales.

Granted, I was 45 before I finally quit smoking, but really, smoking is a peer thing...nothing much to do with economics or urban/rural or male/female...but cutting out advertising probably helps a fair bit. If anyone has seen the TV series Mad Men, with smoking choking out the actors, you will wonder how on earth you could ever have started that filthy habit.

Yep, same boat as you was about 6 in US when tried a Chesterfield...Gramps Kents were much better. Tried beer and whiskey by 8 as well, quit the smoking around 40 but still enjoy a beer now and then. However ads and TV then was much different than today, and while I'm slow to learn at times usually get there. Times Change and Thailand is slowly, but much is like back then out in the provinces.

So according to this research 1/3 of the entire population is 12-24 years old. I think that they need to do a little research on populations statistics before falsifying their research.

Of course they don't mention how many people claimed to smoking or drinking at that age, just that it was the youngest. So out of an entire country perhaps only one person said that. Not anything to get upset about.

Articles like this is the reason why people don't believe statistics. This isn't news this is hype.

ABAC is a crap institution, and the ABAC polls are a waste of resources.

As far as I can see, you are the one suggesting that 12.5 million is 1/3 of the population. And this is clearly wrong. "I think that they need to do a little research on populations statistics before"..... ahem ..... who needs to do what?

This is just blatant manipulation of the figues. After all, statistics can be used to prove anything.

In reality we all know that most kids have given up smoking tobacco at the age of 5 and moved on to cannabis. As for drink - they start on beer lao instead of milk and by 4 are all hardened 40 degree-ers.

So let's be clear: ya-ba at 3 months, ice at 6, meth, coke cocktails at 1 year, supplying by the time they reach kindergarten, which they drop out of in order to stay with an 'uncle' at some go-go in Pattaya, where they become a 'photographic' model on-line for elderly Germans who can't travel but pay online premium rates.

And they say they love their children.

I expect they do.

But it involves sleeping in the same bed etc etc.

ROFL. How can any child DECIDE to try smoking or drinking at 4 or 5 years old (of their own accord)? What was the median age? Not "what was someone's exaggerated extreme."

What a dumb poll this is!!!!:huh: If one person out of about 12.5 million respondents admits to drinking at a rediculously young age and it is the same story on the smoking front (it could be the self same person on both accounts for all you know) and the age of those taking part goes up to 24 then this tells us absolutely NOTHING!!!!!

I'd like to know the minimum IQ of those responsible for devising such silly nonsense as this and exactly who is to blame for wasting so many man/women work-hours!!:lol:.

Go to the BOTTOM of the class!!!

With the new government and the Chalerm basher in charge of the anti-drug war, these problems will soon be over.... At least, him and his family are examplary for the society, wouldn't it from the mishap in the shoot-out at Ratchadaphisek road some years ago, but his sons were placed beyond suspicion as the witnesses finally admitted that they only had seen ghosts shooting (with a real gun) at the police officer!

Maybe this poll was taken in 2008 like the one 2 days ago. Nothing like staying up to the minute with the news. We all know they print what they want when they want.

The credibility of ABAC and TAN have reached negative territory.

I just bookmarked this thread. Very useful next time they provide us with some survey about the popularity of the present government.

And the title of this thread ... post-4641-1156693976.gif

_

Edited by JurgenG

ABAC is a crap institution, and the ABAC polls are a waste of resources.

Although I admit that ABAC has to do the exercise again, I would be careful in judging the poll itself. We haven't seen the questions asked but only read a sort of "summary report" which is biased, substandard and manipulated. Poor, very poor interpretation of what was perhaps a good poll (???) :(

15.6M

Yep. Impressive sample size, but they polled on average nearly 500,000 "people" a day?

Sure. They polled over 300 people a minute, 24 hours a day, for a month.

You gotta love statistics. But it made for a good headline I suppose.

15.6M

Normally those ABAC polls are conducted among 12 people.

And in other news, studies have shown that journalists present misleading headlines and misrepresent study results...

The poll found that 20.7 percent of the respondents smoked and the lowest age at trying their first cigarette was five. Thirty-five percent of those surveyed drank alcohol and the lowest age in starting drinking was four.

Bell curve? Outliers? :passifier:

15.6M

the story mentions conducting a poll; that doesn't mean they ask all 12.25M persons. rather they survey a randomly selected sample size (purhaps 1000) from that population such that any error is <5%.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistical_survey

15.6M

the story mentions conducting a poll; that doesn't mean they ask all 12.25M persons. rather they survey a randomly selected sample size (purhaps 1000) from that population such that any error is <5%.

http://en.wikipedia....tistical_survey

clearly this is an error.

ROFL. How can any child DECIDE to try smoking or drinking at 4 or 5 years old (of their own accord)? What was the median age? Not "what was someone's exaggerated extreme."

...and what 17 provinces do they do these polls in???? Is it the same 17 every poll they take??