Chickens Or Ducks

andycrosby

Ok this is an open Question " What do you think is better to keep Ducks or Chickens ?" and you must state why.

I keep and breed both. I have a love hate relationship with them both all the time. This week for me its Ducks pros they Free range better, They lay more eggs, They grow on poor grade food, They dont die as much as Chickens and they fight less.

Bad things are they smell more than chickens if left in standing water, and they eat more than Chickens if your feeding them out of a bag there a cost to say the least. Other problems are they lay eggs everywhere and in water and they dont lay an egg till there 6 months old.

That should get you started LOL

I've got both, I'm pro duck at the moment.

The chickens might all be going in the pot soon.

The ducks free range very well & dont cause much trouble in the garden, they love eating snails.

The chickens free range well but tear the hell out of the garden.

The chickens breed easily without my intervention.

The duck eggs need incubation.

My 2 Muscovy ducks lay in the nest all the time but in batches a month apart.

I've got 5 young Khaki Campbell that have a reputation for laying all over the place regularly.

Ducks & Chickens only get rice still in the husk + scraps & forage.

I've got both, I'm pro duck at the moment.

The chickens might all be going in the pot soon.

The ducks free range very well & dont cause much trouble in the garden, they love eating snails.

The chickens free range well but tear the hell out of the garden.

The chickens breed easily without my intervention.

The duck eggs need incubation.

My 2 Muscovy ducks lay in the nest all the time but in batches a month apart.

I've got 5 young Khaki Campbell that have a reputation for laying all over the place regularly.

Ducks & Chickens only get rice still in the husk + scraps & forage.

Are you incubating the Muscovys I know Campbells are breed not to sit ? I brought my Muskys to use as Incubators for Turkey eggs, as the turkey eggs are so large the incubator is full before you know it ..

They are my pride and joy at the moment but they can not compeat with the campbells for free ranging. The campbells have Indian runner in them and thats what makes them so fast

Campbells have poor fertility at the best of times, but never that poor. Something went wrong. How many campbell drakes you running to ducks ? and are you sure your campbell drakes are not doing the Muskys ? They make a nice cross for the pot or as an alround bird but when crossed with other breeds of ducks its progeny is sterile.

I am looking to purchase some Muscovy ducks, not many 3 or 4, To use as a incubator, back home I had a Muscovy duck that was great at hatching any fertilized egg place in her nest.

I also have 2 female Geese that are currently sitting on unfertilized eggs, So I am also looking for a gander to remedy that situation.

If anyone has any Muscovy ducks and or a gander, or knows were there is some for sale.

Please PM me and let me know ,How many and at what prices.

Thank you

Cheers::)

Campbells have poor fertility at the best of times, but never that poor. Something went wrong. How many campbell drakes you running to ducks ? and are you sure your campbell drakes are not doing the Muskys ? They make a nice cross for the pot or as an alround bird but when crossed with other breeds of ducks its progeny is sterile.

We dont have a Campbell drake, the fertile eggs were sent to us in the mail.

We put some in a home made incubator & some under the Muskys.

5 hatched, then a few days ago, at about 3 months old something got in & killed 4.

I think it was a dog, but we were away 2 days.

If I ever get a male Campbell I'll try crossing it with the Muskys.