Exporting Products

finy

Hi people,

Just what the title says really. I was wondering of there is any popular Thai products that would be worth exporting.

I presume some guys on here are doing it just now and don't want to give away information but if anyone knows any idea's, it would be great.

Hi people,

Just what the title says really. I was wondering of there is any popular Thai products that would be worth exporting.

I presume some guys on here are doing it just now and don't want to give away information but if anyone knows any idea's, it would be great.

If it is on sale here someone is already exporting it. What you need to find is something unique, which may mean you design it or tweak it so that YOU are the only one selling it. Take soap for example. You could formulate and brand your own, rather than just export something you bought at the market. Do you homework thoroughly, but don't be discouraged if you think you have a good idea. Be aware that shortly there will appear here people telling you that no foreigner can make money in Thailand. Their favorite saying is, "Never invest more money in Thailand than you can afford to lose", which is imbecilic if you spend two seconds thinking about it because the corollary is that there must be countries where it would be wise to invest more than you can afford to lose. :D That so many feel that way is actually a good thing, as unless your idea involves a beer bar you won't face much competition from other farangs here.

If it is on sale here someone is already exporting it. What you need to find is something unique, which may mean you design it or tweak it so that YOU are the only one selling it. Take soap for example. You could formulate and brand your own, rather than just export something you bought at the market. Do you homework thoroughly, but don't be discouraged if you think you have a good idea. Be aware that shortly there will appear here people telling you that no foreigner can make money in Thailand. Their favorite saying is, "Never invest more money in Thailand than you can afford to lose", which is imbecilic if you spend two seconds thinking about it because the corollary is that there must be countries where it would be wise to invest more than you can afford to lose. :D That so many feel that way is actually a good thing, as unless your idea involves a beer bar you won't face much competition from other farangs here.

Your post makes a lot of sense, I was looking on e-bay the other week and there were items on there that definitely originate in Thailand.

I know of a couple of e-bayers working out of a scuzzy condo in On Nut, all depends on how much the OP is trying to generate.

Another thing I have noticed, there are some who are charging prices that are taking the piss, if I was so inclined it would be easy for me to source the same items, undercut the price and export legitimately.

Call me cynical but if I was some of the posters on here I wouldnt be giving links to any business I was involved in by advertising on my profile page.

The best research tool for new businesses is terapeak.com this gives you the sales of every product in every category in every major country that ebay trades in. It will tell you what the best selling products are, the best selling "wording", the top retailer in that category, the best time of day to list in that country / category, etc etc.

Start small, test the market, be honest with the customers in regard to how long shipping will take, and off you go. I think you will enjoy and be enthralled at the amount of information on offer on terapeak.

Good luck.

ps jewelry ;)

Edited by theblether